Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

As the morning goes on the flow will become more easterly, perhaps ENE at times.

Dont think we'll see dynamic convection take place in the Thames Estuary, 850s not low enough.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1212.png

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1812.png

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn2412.png

Likely to remain very dull, with persistant flurries, light snow developing in the easterly flow and moving westwards.

Further accumulations should be slight, most likely along Thames corridor towards London, perhaps more in the eastern end of the corridor, east of say Dartford/Thurrock.

IF the flow tends towards ENE, then any ppn could be a bit heavier as it drifts towards the higher ground of N.Kent, say S of Gravesend, W of Rochester.

I think that window of oppurtunity could last into the early hours of tomorrow morning but should reiterate only slight accumulations, poss a little more if flow encounters the higher ground of N.Kent mentioned.

Will be interesting to see if it pans out, get the flow turned into the E/ENE and normally the Estuary does the rest.

Good luck today, of course then there's tomorrow.

Will post snow depth challenge match-ups again in a short while.

Regards,

Tom

Posted

woke up to wow.... 0.5cm snow. Its still snowing here but anything more I get will just be a bonus now...

It seems we've missed out this time in SE Essex, still can't see Sunday being big either more of the same for us I feel.

Posted
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , Sun and lightning
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton

Just said on BBC News / Weather " Not a lot of Snow about today but the South east and east areas getting a fresh covering tomorrow"

Edited by therecoil

Posted

I suspect they will update later to show a somewhat wider area but they are probably quite sensibly holding their horses until the detail is firmed up somewhat. Certainly the forecasts on BBC News Channel suggest this is likely to happen, anyway.

AS

Unless something creeps up upon them unawares (the red warning for this area about 11pm when the streamer was in full swing in Feb 09), the warnings tend to get updated around 11.30...

AS, what's your current temps?

-0.4 at Reigate grammar...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Very light snizzle started about 5mins ago in Dartford- its a start lol

Posted

Temp: -1.0c

Dewpoint: -3.1c

hPa: 999.5, slowly falling

Dry, cloud cover but doesn't look like it is going to drop anything at the moment. No thaw of lying snow here.

A trip to the Colley Hill 'bombhole' later for sledging, I think. I suppose I should see if the children want come....

Have a good weekend all

AS

Edited by abruzzi spur

Posted

An epic 0.5 cm in Cliffe north Kent here. •sigh•

I'm not holding out hope for tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

so hows sunday looking to the people in the now?? will it get to herts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

pathetic snow event imo, was forecast to be spectacular with heavy snow and blizzards across a large swathe of the country. we have about a cm or 2 of wet slushy mess. I always knew it was never cold enough to settle. the same thing will happen sunday, there is not enough cold uppers left, i know people say but look at the low dew points, but if your air temp and surface temps are hovering around 0 its always going to be a slushy mess.

You should be fine on Sunday, the front yesterday just ran out of energy once it hit eastern parts of the SE.

Posted

very light sleet here at the moment, so small that it gives you eyes strain to see it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
blum.gif Just saw Tomasz on BBC News and there seems to be growing confidence that tomorrows event could happen.He said Westward stretch was as far West as Reading,but the further East you went,the heavier the snow so those in East Kent and Essex could be in real firing line of 5-10cms,less the further West.Looks like iy will start at about10am and finish 12 hrs later.One to watch as not set in stone yet.Monday looks cold with possible light flurries

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Temp 0.3c and a little thaw starting here. The sky is darker than yesterday but nothing falling. Any chance of temps/850pha/dp's lowering today?

Posted

OK, looking at tomorrow and I've pinched a few charts from the NW Extra NMM suite and look how it builds in a totally different way from yesterday, Those that missed out in the last days should surely see lots tomorrow?

dd7816f2a20e703e8dca60b23b455562.gif

Posted

You should be fine on Sunday, the front yesterday just ran out of energy once it hit eastern parts of the SE.

that is because you are so close to the Beach in Hove , go up to Devils Dyke which is only five mins away and you will find your snow

Edited by therecoil

Posted

Wow.. Thats about 8-13CM :D

Yep!

850's of -5/-6c and dew's -1/-2 should just about do it. IF the NAE is on the ball. I do have my doubts to be honest.

Somewhere could get a lot of snow or a lot of slush..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow . . . . and lots of it

NAE hot off the press. Still going for 8mm widely all said and done tomorrow.

post-5249-0-10373600-1358586811_thumb.jp

i especially like the '10' over Southend :)