Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion 21st January 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Check your lampost again, snowing in Ealing!

Just went out to garden and put light on. A few flakes in the wind..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Gap in radar grab, showing, moving towards S. London, parts of Surrey.

Would expect heavier stuff in Channel to start to pull WNW through Sussex into Hants.

Tom

Posted
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , Sun and lightning
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton
bloody I phones , I sound like a right sort now !!

Excuse me? Its not 9 o'clock yet!

Lol,

Tom

Posted

It's the most frustrating thing when all the heavy snow is sliding just a few miles to the south west, with you missing it all! Was hoping we'd get a few cm's top up after looking at the radar this afternoon but I don't know what happened. All leftovers are just melting here now. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Well I'm off...label work that needs doing.

Congrats to all who got yet another dose of snow, commiserations to those who have missed out....and to those like me who are in the middle....well at least it's nice to watch.

We'll all be snowless by the end of Sunday in any case, and so the hunt for the next lot of cold and snow will begin

Fridays POSSIBLE snow event-

Well the breakdown is coming- however the is obne last try of a snow event for this region in particular if the shortwave trough extends south & we stay on the northern flank before it dies & slides away into france.-

ECM PPN for Friday night- ETA midnight- possibly later-

http://en.vedur.is/photos/atlant_evr_urkomuspa/130122_1200_84.png

http://en.vedur.is/photos/atlant_evr_urkomuspa/130122_1200_90.png

850s ok-

http://en.vedur.is/photos/atlant_evr_hitaspa/130122_1200_84.png

Possible slush on the south coast -

So a possibly 6-10 hour event with strong southerlies ahead it could bring blizzard conditions over the downs & elevated areas-

Estimates- especially for the north of london- 5-10cm before it melts Saturday.....

you have your early warning......

S

Posted

sorry.gifsearch.gif Awww What happened to Uckfield ??

Paul have you never seen an EF5 (if there is one i havent a clue bout them but i suspect what a sight to see that)...On a serious note that is.......amazing sig..........How close to that ultimate tornado have you been?

Edited by ChartViewer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm sunny days, tons of snow!

sorry.gifsearch.gif Awww What happened to Uckfield ??

its imploded due to the tonnage of snow

Posted

A slight covering of snow here biggrin.png

Stopped snowing now nonono.gif

Gritters were deployed at approx 19:00 ph34r.png

MetO really got this snow forecast wrong spiteful.gif

Friday/Saturday back edge will be very interesting for the SE as we will have a few cm's clap.gif

Next big freeze in my books will be early Feb cold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

Posted

Well the breakdown is coming- however the is obne last try of a snow event for this region in particular if the shortwave trough extends south & we stay on the northern flank before it dies & slides away into france.-

http://en.vedur.is/photos/atlant_evr_urkomuspa/130122_1200_84.png

http://en.vedur.is/photos/atlant_evr_urkomuspa/130122_1200_90.png

850s ok-

http://en.vedur.is/photos/atlant_evr_hitaspa/130122_1200_84.png

So a possibly 6-10 hour event with strong southerlies ahead it could bring blizzard conditions over the downs & elevated areas-

Estimates- especially for the north of london- 5-10cm before it melts Saturday.....

S

Would these parts potentially see something? Tonight has been a bit bitty, wet snow, not particularly heavy but unable to settle.

Posted

http://en.vedur.is/p...122_1200_84.png

http://en.vedur.is/p...122_1200_90.png

850s ok-

http://en.vedur.is/p...122_1200_84.png

S

Rain more likely to low levels I would think? Atlantic lows normally just bring rain rather than snow to rain down here, unless they undercut like last Friday of course but that seems unlikely this time.

A slight covering of snow here biggrin.png

Stopped snowing now nonono.gif

Gritters were deployed at approx 19:00 ph34r.png

MetO really got this snow forecast wrong spiteful.gif

Friday/Saturday back edge will be very interesting for the SE as we will have a few cm's clap.gif

Next big freeze in my books will be early Feb cold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

Maybe we should have bets on when the next cold spell will start (assuming there will be another one this winter).

Edited by manutdmatt1986

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

No just come into nutley and it is very wet snow and there has been a lot of thawing here it is whiteout on the a27 I thought it would've settling but it isn't at my location :(:(

good guess by me then

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Snow may not be settling but neither it is thawing, could we have a 5th day of snow cover as that it quite rare here.

Posted

Eased off a bit now in Fleet NE Hants. Had around 4-5 cm and it has settled on everything including main roads. Periods of heavier snow and a stiff wind means it has plastered Easterley facing road signs too.

Eyes now on the radar with that heavier stuff spinning up from the channel heading in this direction.

PS Never sure whether I should post in this thread or the Central England one. However as I am a Man of Kent I generally prefer this one!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

That quick, interesting match-up with Tilly that. ENE (Thames Streamer) you'd be favourite, NE (Mid-Kent Streamer) would make Tilly favourite. If you can send me a brown envelope stuffed with notes, I'll sort out an ENE for you! wink.png

Sorry Tilly.

Tom

ahem! acute.gif just popped in for a catch up and you're Match fixing?!

Bad Bad Tom!! LOL

Posted

Paul have you never seen an EF5 (if there is one i havent a clue bout them but i suspect what a sight to see that)...On a serious note that is.......amazing sig..........How close to that ultimate tornado have you been?

Hi Mate

Yh we were on that EF5 Greensburg Storm in 2007, saw an EF4 From about 2 miles away in Oklahoma in 2011 and drove straight at it to let it cross the road in front of us, bloody thing lifted though, closest I have been is about 100 yards in Nebraska in 2008.

I absolutely live for these Supercells, cant wait to get back out their for 7 weeks from May!

Btw Tornado Alley usually gets pounded by snow events over the winters, but this year has been strangely quiet, if snow cover can last it keeps moisture in the ground until early spring, but it has been very dry and temps in the 50f most of the winter, we really should think ourselves lucky! Lol

its imploded due to the tonnage of snow

Thought so! Lolz