Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion 22nd January 2013 22:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

As my time is now split equally between Hither Green SE London and Fairlight near Hastings i will comment on both,never a great synoptic situation for that part of the SE coast,way too much fetch off the sea to promote longevity,however this part of London was well suited. Interest value alone will persuade me to give this a reasonable score as the whole slider scenario against the weakish bubble of High pressure was fascinating and unusual in equal measure. It never really had longevity written over it so my mark reflects that.....6/10

Snowfall.

Hither green, 5 inches overall, Fairlight 2 inches overall. 7/10 for HG, 4/10 FLT

Frosts.

Hither Green, very poor frost wise. 2/10,Fairlight much better,5/10.

Both areas recieve 15/30 in total

As my time is now split equally between Hither Green SE London and Fairlight near Hastings i will comment on both,never a great synoptic situation for that part of the SE coast,way too much fetch off the sea to promote longevity,however this part of London was well suited. Interest value alone will persuade me to give this a reasonable score as the whole slider scenario against the weakish bubble of High pressure was fascinating and unusual in equal measure. It never really had longevity written over it so my mark reflects that.....6/10

Snowfall.

Hither green, 5 inches overall, Fairlight 2 inches overall. 7/10 for HG, 4/10 FLT

Frosts.

Hither Green, very poor frost wise. 2/10,Fairlight much better,5/10.

Both areas recieve 15/30 in total

I'm just a fairly short distance ENE of you (locally). The Friday into Saturday snowfall was impressive as it mirrored the one we had last February with temperatures and dewpoints very low and assisted by the conditions over the continent - despite an onshore wind, especially to begin with. Sunday was more straightfoward with no channel influence (in terms of the wind). By yesterday however, we had lost the colder upper air and low dewpoints, so it was always going to be much harder to get settling snow. In fact I had expected rain, so the fact that this didn't happen was better than anticipated, even though steady non settling snow is frustrating to watch - especially as it further conspired to melt what was on the grounddoh.gif

Despite the extra snowfalls, I would rate this cold spell less than the previous February one simply because the snow lasted a full week with some hard frosts and low dewpoints to follow. This has only managed a few days.

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it

Hmm it was a bit more than that to be fair. Local radio, local twitter etc all stated might get the odd light snow flurry. We had moderate to heavy snow for an hour.

its obviously a general forecast which is pretty much spot on. they can't account for the odd heavier burst, which, as you say, has stopped

Posted

Easing off now. Nothing to shout about really but nice considering I wasn't expecting it. Not expecting a great deal on Friday; couple of hours of transitory snow perhaps. The worst kind!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Temp has dipped to 1.8 now and it's actually starting to settle on the grass.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Kind of turned to sleet now booooooo

Synoptics: 7/10 - been interesting

Snow: 8/10 - as I said earlier 4 snow days out of the last 6. We only managed to get off our estate by car yesterday and I spent all weekend dragging my 2 yr old boy around closed roads in a sledge so not bad.

Frosts: 5/10. Strangely disappointing. No real hard frosts despite the snow cover which I find unusual. Most ponds etc only icy round the edges.

Hi, it might be easier for everyone is you was to put your location (Town) in your profile/signature so we can all relate to your posts and where your from,

I.E Knowing where it is sleeting for example.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

We need not forget either here, although unlikely, as the large atlantic lp, comes up against the now well established cold, more so eastern side uk.as battle takes place the system could become less proggresive, and stall a little, where, this could occur, there could be massive snowfall.a shot in the preverb, dark but easily possible. Could be intresting???!!!:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it

Sorry, I'm in Godalming, Surrey.

I only really access this site from my phone which doesn't seem to allow me to ammend my profile? Automatically goes to mobile view

Posted

Temp has dipped to 1.8 now and it's actually starting to settle on the grass.

More snow clap.gif

After the slightly milder period coming up, cold will return early Feb cold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Sorry, I'm in Godalming, Surrey.

I only really access this site from my phone which doesn't seem to allow me to ammend my profile? Automatically goes to mobile view

If on phone scroll to bottom of page, does it say view full version of the site?

Posted

More snow clap.gif

Has to be said though, there's no sign of that at the moment...

Posted

Still snowing hard in Walton-on-the-Hill, A good covering now, trees looking pretty again ! BIG flakes as well clapping.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep snow, thunderstorms, heatwaves

Those extremely heavy showers in the channel stretching from Isle of Wight to Brighton are edging northwards, things could get very interesting if they hit land

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

More snow clap.gif

biggrin.png

Yeah it's stopped now, but it was nice to watch.

Posted

Those extremely heavy showers in the channel stretching from Isle of Wight to Brighton are edging northwards, things could get very interesting if they hit land

What do you reakon, could be a foot of snow in some places?

Posted

Has to be said though, there's no sign of that at the moment...

It's my personal view good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep snow, thunderstorms, heatwaves

3-4" in lucky areas from that band depending how slow moving it is

Posted

Oslo, Kiev, Moscow, Siberia? :good: