Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion 22nd January 2013 22:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

How can we all compare our scores if folk are scoring how they wish??? Paul S was quite specific, as in here: http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/75710-london-south-east-regional-discussion-22nd-january-2013-2200hrs/page__st__160#entry2563174

Synoptics Out of 10

Snow Out of 10

Frosts Out of 10

Combine the score divide by 3 then we are all looking at comparable scores.

Edited by Halling Weather

Posted

In our region - is he sure?

yes heavy disruptive snow then flooding

In our region - is he sure?

Posted

Paul was asking for a score for:

SYNOPTICS

SNOW

FROSTS

C'mon folks put some effort in, don't just say "4/10 as it's not snowed enough."

Apologies, didn't see Paul's original post - scanning the thread on an iPhone is never ideal. So here's my fuller contribution:

SYNOPTICS 8

Having trailed the Model Discussion thread through the dog days of zonality this winter, it was fascinating to see the current cold snap come together. Never quite as severe as some drama queens in there thought it would be, but then that's rampers for you. Fairly happy with the way the synoptics played out although tad disappointed the winds never picked up from the SE'ly direction as expected. Would have preferred an E/NE'ly direction, but never quite materialised. All in all think we got what was progged.

SNOW: 7

Sunday saved this spell for me, but even then would have liked it to have fallen heavier and earlier as it did from about 2-5pm. The Saturday snow in Dec 10, which was virtually a white-out for its duration, is how I'd like it.

FROSTS: 6

Disappointing: too cloudy, especially after snow cover.

So a 7/10 for me. Will have to be markedly snowier, windier and frostier to get it up to an 8.

Having said that, just stepped off a train at South Bermondsey and feeling colder and windier than it has for a while...

Here's to a NE'ly set up in Feb.

Edited by Mac_SE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Anyone know what the ski conditions will be like today on Box hill , did they have any more snow last night ? I'm thinking of driving over there this afternoon .

Posted

I can see the heavy rain but not the snow prior to it. Hey ho, JH knows his stuff and is paid for it, so it's down to some amateur sleuthing in the meantime!

Posted

Anyone know what the ski conditions will be like today on Box hill , did they have any more snow last night ? I'm thinking of driving over there this afternoon .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

My scores for this cold spell are:

Synoptics: 8/10

Snow: 7/10

Frosts: 3/10

Total of 18/30 = 6/10

Synoptics were very interesting, great to get an all snow event from the W on Fri and unusual Synoptics on Sun delivered too.

Snow amounts here were good, measured 13cm on Fri and approx 4cm fell on Sun.

Frosts- well, here's where it went pear shaped for me, even though temps didn't rise above freezing Fri and Sun. Partial thaw Sat due to temps hitting 2C and again on Mon, with too much cloud at night preventing a good freeze. The cold spells of the 80s/early 90s were way colder and with much higher snow amounts, perhaps Feb will deliver? For now, mild is ok.

Posted

Posted

Mr Hammond just showed snow over the whole of country apart from south of the m4 on Friday afternoon " quote heavy distruptive snow !

WATCH THIS SPACE !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Mr Hammond just showed snow over the whole of country apart from south of the m4 on Friday afternoon " quote heavy distruptive snow !

WATCH THIS SPACE !

Interesting, though sounds like a snow to rain scenario, yuk. Would be better if it just rained.

Posted

WATCH THIS SPACE !

So rain for about 90% of us in this particular region....... I can't wait! good.gif

Posted

Thank you soo much guys and gals. This really should be a great exercise to see what regions have had a decent winter so far, as expected the early running shows Surrey as the place to be.

All Scores out of 10

Surrey (Surrey) 8

Eml Network (Brighton) 7.5

Mac_SE (SE London) 7

lawrenk (Hailsham E Suss) 6

stainesbloke (Middlesex) 6

kate1 (Tunbridge Wells) 6

TomSE20 (SE London) 5.83

Coast (Eastbourne) 5.67

Hotspur (NW Kent) 5.5

Paul Sherman (SE Essex) 5

Shrimper (SE Essex) 5

Hallingweather (Kent) 5

Kentspur (NW Kent) 4.5

Nikkib74 (W Sussex) 4.33

If more people want to add their scores it would be great to see in this area

Synoptics ?/10

Snowfall ?/10

Frosts ?/10

Cheers

Posted

It's snowing again!!! :-)

:doh: Where are you exactly again Kate?

Posted

I'm in Reigate... We got another cm that laid but there is a slow thaw... Further west got more... Reigate hill still looks lovely and white so might be worth a punt...

Posted

Mr Hammond just showed snow over the whole of country apart from south of the m4 on Friday afternoon "

So not a great deal of excitement for 70% of the people in this region, geographically speaking?

Posted

So not a great deal of excitement for 70% of the people in this region, geographically speaking?

No, not very exciting. Had a similar event here in Feb 2007, short cold snap, snowed heavily one morning after 2 very cold nights. Managed a decent covering but then rain set in after lunch and washed it all away...vile!

Posted

Billingshurst ... Near Horsham and we got snow. :-)

Owww good, blow it over here to Benny Hill then please, but only in significant amounts!! :lol:

But it's turning to sleet now Coast :-(

Boooo!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy frosty weather Cool Sunny Summers

Very light snow,sky looks like more snow thoughacute.gif

Whitehill Hampshire.

Posted

Synoptics: 6/10 - a really interesting set-up with undercutting lows caused by a small wedge of higher pressure to the north. Very different to the "safer" Greenland High and Scandi High scenarios.

Snowfall: 7/10 - two significant falls (2 inches plus each time) is pretty decent in my book.

Frosts: 6/10 - nothing exceptional frost-wise but 2 ice days is pretty rare in these parts.

Overall 6.33/10