Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion 22nd January 2013 22:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Morning!

Nothing here, zilch but to be fair it was never meant to get into my neck of the woods anyway! Friday, do you think will bring snow to us here in the SE corner?

If it does, it will only be transient...

Light snow flurries on the school run...

Posted

After the snow last night, I also have less than I had before - a depressing morning...

I hate it when it has to end - I've been really snappy this morning and I realised it's all snow related. I need to get a grip!

Posted

post-6667-0-79389600-1358935145_thumb.jp

cray.gif

Edited by Coast

Posted

How very dare you even mention the TS Word Mr Kerry!! There has only been 1 since the dawn of time anyway (2009!!!) blum.gif

Anyways since we have a bit of a lull on this boring cloudy dreary wednesday thought it might be a good idea to see what everyone rates this winter so far, obviously some in parts of Surrey and along the south coast will probably score it highly, but others not so high, I go on a decent winter by quite a few factors so will list them out and give it a score out of 10 for SE Essex, others may have different thresholds (Say people under 30 yrs old)

Anyway here goes and would be interested if any of you could copy the different factors and insert your score.

Synoptics = 9/10 Has been great seeing these 1980's style charts with undercuts

Snow = 4/10 It really has not got over the heavy snizzle stage and only sunday has delivered here in SE Essex

Frosts = 2/10 Absolutely appalling with I think 3 frosts since the start of December.

So there you have it for me 15/30 which equates to a

5 out of 10

Which I think is a very fare reaction for this part of the SE Corner.

Still a long way to go in winter 12/13 so hoping this score can be bumped up quite a bit!

Yep I would agree.

Great synoptics that could of delivered so much more, but didn't IOBY compared to many others.

*wants to insert violin smiley, but cant find one*

Edited by Shrimper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Temp here in Petts Wood/Locksbottom 1.2 and there has been a gradual thaw overnight with temps being above freezing all night.The snow is now mushy and grey and tbh hate it when it goes like this so the sooner the rain comes and washes it away the better!!.Looks like a milder period coming up for next 7-10 days,thereafter who really knows.Hope GP is correct though and heights build and a GHP or another Scandi High Pressure develop(don't mind either!!) in early Feb and we have another cold spell of 10-14 days but with a bit more snow in this part of NW Kent which certainly hasn't faired too well compared to most others in the SE!!

Rating for winter so far 5.5/10 so room for improvement.Hope Feb brings it!!blum.gif

P.S.Did anyone see snow they had in Mendip Hills in Somerset last night??Caught it on BBC News at 10-Certainly more than BBC forecast!!

Posted

I would rate the cold spell quite highly, as the main event in my neck of the woods was on a Sunday, so I had a blinding day with the kids in the snow, but it wasn't so severe that the other half and I could not get to work, and much to their disappointment (but not mine!) the kids school was open on Monday.

So fun without the disruption, which to me is ideal

Posted

what are the chances of this cold snap in feb?

Judging by the eerie silence in the Model thread, not good I would say, then again there was a lot of negativity about this winter before this weeks event popped up on the models, so who knows!

Posted

With February still 10 days away it's almost impossible to say, but keeping reading the model thread and we will try to fill in the gaps as things start to unfold :good:

Posted

Just walked through priory park and the snow from last night has rejuvenated the sledge runs... Can hardly tell that the snow is melting there!

Posted
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , Sun and lightning
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton

What have netweather started? They are using the term SNOWBOMB !!! On Heart Radio news whilst covering the snow event last night

Guest bjaykent

Well if the westerlies weaken there must a fairly good chance, the signs are still there that this will happen, but caution is always best after all December 2012 looked very promising but failed to deliver whereas Jan 2013 was better. The only worry for me is that the pattern won't change in time to see really deep cold in February. Once you get into the second half of the month the days get longer and the nights shorter.

But then I remember, I think going to a wedding at the start of March 1983 where less than half of the guest turned up due to snow, the bride was in tears and although I felt sorry for her, I secretly loved the fact that it snowed in March!

Posted

Well if the westerlies weaken there must a fairly good chance, the signs are still there that this will happen, but caution is always best after all December 2012 looked very promising but failed to deliver whereas Jan 2013 was better. The only worry for me is that the pattern won't change in time to see really deep cold in February. Once you get into the second half of the month the days get longer and the nights shorter.

But then I remember, I think going to a wedding at the start of March 1983 where less than half of the guest turned up due to snow, the bride was in tears and although I felt sorry for her, I secretly loved the fact that it snowed in March!

Yes and not just march a few years ago the superbikes at brands hatch were called off because we had 3inches of snow in April!!

Edited by Memphis snow

Guest bjaykent

Yes and not just march a few years ago the superbikes at brands hatch were called off because we had 3inches of snow in April!!

Funny you should mention that because I think I was also at a wedding that day and staying at the Brands Hatch Hotel LOL!blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

How very dare you even mention the TS Word Mr Kerry!! There has only been 1 since the dawn of time anyway (2009!!!) blum.gif

Anyways since we have a bit of a lull on this boring cloudy dreary wednesday thought it might be a good idea to see what everyone rates this winter so far, obviously some in parts of Surrey and along the south coast will probably score it highly, but others not so high, I go on a decent winter by quite a few factors so will list them out and give it a score out of 10 for SE Essex, others may have different thresholds (Say people under 30 yrs old)

Anyway here goes and would be interested if any of you could copy the different factors and insert your score.

Synoptics = 9/10 Has been great seeing these 1980's style charts with undercuts

Snow = 4/10 It really has not got over the heavy snizzle stage and only sunday has delivered here in SE Essex

Frosts = 2/10 Absolutely appalling with I think 3 frosts since the start of December.

So there you have it for me 15/30 which equates to a

5 out of 10

Which I think is a very fare reaction for this part of the SE Corner.

Still a long way to go in winter 12/13 so hoping this score can be bumped up quite a bit!

Hi Paul,

Good idea mate. I'm staying at Anerley se20 at mo. So my answers relate to that location, mind you its only a few miles S.W. of Lee.

Synoptics - 7.5/10. Nice to see that cold surface high to our N.E being able to keep the Atlantic at bay for the best part of 2 weeks, reminded me a bit of Dec.81 (Synoptics only), with sliding lows unable to make inroads into the U.K. If I'm being really picky would've liked to have had a day of strong convection from the N.Sea/Thames Estuary (Even a T/S maybe, sshh tho!)

Snow - 7/10. Total depth reached about 8 cms, pretty respectable for a London Borough (N.W.Bromley), with 3 separate snowfalls so far in the event, 1st Sundays, 2nd Fridays, 3rd (Poor) Y/days.

Frost - 3/10. A couple of sharp frosts but hung on to too much cloud at night, to see those really bone crunching frosts that you get after a decent snow cover.

My score - 17.5/30 = 5.833333/10. (I'm getting more & more like Sheldon from Big Bang!)

Cheers,

Tom.

Edited by TomSE20

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Anyone worry about Feb at present I can honestly say I really wouldn't worry just yet. This event we just had was picked up fairly late, there be some that did or claim they saw it coming a couple of weeks before but the majority didn't and there was alot of doom and gloom regarding winter before last weekend.

To be honest I prefer events when they just crop up rather than watching things unfold for a few weeks to be left dissapointed at t24.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Light snow here with a temp of 1C.

Guest bjaykent

Anyone worry about Feb at present I can honestly say I really wouldn't worry just yet. This event we just had was picked up fairly late, there be some that did or claim they saw it coming a couple of weeks before but the majority didn't and there was alot of doom and gloom regarding winter before last weekend.

To be honest I prefer events when they just crop up rather than watching things unfold for a few weeks to be left dissapointed at t24.

Agree, used to be more fun when the first you heard about snow on its way on the weather for the week ahead on the BBC farming programme on Sundays. Computer Models do tend to lead to lots of disappointment with some outlandish FI predictions at times.

The best thing about British weather for me is its unpredictability, would get bored with snow if it was here from October to April!

Posted

Thanks Tom,

Interesting then we have 3 people who have given their scores out of 10 and we have a 5/10 a 5.5/10 and a 5.83/10

Remember if you want to have a go at this put your scores out of 10 and divide by 3

Synoptics

Snowfall

Frosts

Mine were 9,4 and 2 giving me 15 out of 30 which is 5/10

Posted

Down here it's been a pretty disappointing outcome from a series of fun-to-follow 'nearly' events to be honest. Each time the snows came they were either to the West, East or North. The best we managed was around 8cm on the ground after Sunday's light but sustained snowfall. Ever since then there's been a steady thaw and there's just a smattering left amongst the green green grass.

Netweather's kept me entertained though - particularly enjoyed people's confessionals about moving house on weather grounds. It made me feel slightly less obsessive and perhaps not the most bonkers in the room after all.

Posted

So, is that our lot for now, is there any chance the cold can get a grip for the weekend, or is it a definite the Atlantic will bring rain in?