Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussions 24th January 2013, 06z onwards

Coast

Posted

A guy in the mod thread just asked what all the excitement was about as the models were very poor! No surprise he lived in southern England! It makes me laugh when other places are due to get a pasting some throw the toys out of the pram! Ah well we will Njoy it and gloat as well! It's our turn now southern England! Let us Njoy it!

Posted

I would agree normally Pom but this could be one of those occasions that you can tell the grandkids about

Come Sunday i will be looking forward to 20 degrees.

Posted

Whooop.. Good for snow -

NIW. Morning folks. We will be issuing an update later this morning. Weather models still showing large snowfall amounts for Northern Ireland. A RED warning is expected for some areas so please be prepared for disruption. You are advised to keep frequently updated with weather forecasts and warnings.

No good for me driving from Dublin up trough Newry and Belfast on Friday afternoon. Im scared lol

Edited by jello

Posted

Met eirann forecast is like a damp squid! They talk bout snow for high ground and at times lower ground for ulster with accumulations mainly on high ground. Updated at 09.15!! Are ther for real!! Do they know something met office clearly don't????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Being conservative I would assume, Ireland is a very hard place to forecast for snow in occasions such as this.

My top places for low lying snowfall would be:

Inland Antrim

North Armagh

East Derry

Inland Down.

Eastern Tyrone

By inland I mean 5-10 miles inland from coast.

Higher ground (above 150-200m) would get pasted.

Posted

Im sure their will be snow even to lower levels Neiller but more so during the night. During the day more likely sleet or rain particularly near the coast.

Edited by mountain shadow

Posted

Anyone for a camping trip to the Mournes?

Now that would be fun.

Posted

What do they classify low levels. I'm roughly 70 metres above see level. I take it that's low level.

Posted

Low would mean from sea level to 100m I would say.

Some crazy Accumulative totals for snowfall being projected at the moment.

GFS 0Z has 60-80cm on Mournes and 10-40cm widely around Northern Ireland.

Latest NAE shows snow right to coasts too.

Posted

Thought that. Least I have some elevation and I am a good 10-15 miles inland. Bring it on. I wait updated met warning. Surely an amber is due!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Low would mean from sea level to 100m I would say.

Some crazy Accumulative totals for snowfall being projected at the moment.

GFS 0Z has 60-80cm on Mournes and 10-40cm widely around Northern Ireland.

Latest NAE shows snow right to coasts too.

Why have coastal areas suffered with such a lack of snow this year compared to previous years? Any half decent event this winter has resulted in heavy rain / sleet or if very lucky wet snow. For whatever reason this year has just been too marginal. Can't get may head around it. I'm right on Down east coast and expecting nothing different this time.

Anyone any thoughts

Posted

Red warning appeared on NIW but seems to have disappeared again :S whats going on?

Posted

Why have coastal areas suffered with such a lack of snow this year compared to previous years? Any half decent event this winter has resulted in heavy rain / sleet or if very lucky wet snow. For whatever reason this year has just been too marginal. Can't get may head around it. I'm right on Down east coast and expecting nothing different this time.

Anyone any thoughts

Pretty easily explained.

Most if not all this winter/years colder spells have been from an Easterly source meaning winds coming in off the sea for us coasties making surface temperatures that little bit warmer than Inland. Most of the spells have had an initial thrust aswell, meaning lying snow for a period with a thaw setting in quicker than a more prolonged and strong flow like Dec 2010.

Red warning appeared on NIW but seems to have disappeared again :S whats going on?

They are having difficulties in posting it up. Clerical/Technical just.

Posted

Maybe they saw met ie forecast had changed there mind or may e things have changed. Which I doubt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Pretty easily explained.

Most if not all this winter/years colder spells have been from an Easterly source meaning winds coming in off the sea for us coasties making surface temperatures that little bit warmer than Inland. Most of the spells have had an initial thrust aswell, meaning lying snow for a period with a thaw setting in quicker than a more prolonged and strong flow like Dec 2010.

They are having difficulties in posting it up. Clerical/Technical just.

Cheers watcher. Have viewed the charts this year and everything has looked favourable until the event which has been a non starter. The easterly source hasn't been as cold this winter except around 10 days ago when the 850's dropped to around -12. This brought dry snow even to here which stuck around albeit for a day. I hope the forecasts are wrong and coastal areas do well due to the intensity and evaporative cooling.

Posted

Bbc national weather just mentioned ' huge snow totals ' for Northern Ireland especially above 100 metres ! They had a symbol of 20-40cms for us and northern Scotland! Bring it on!

Sorry southern Scotland'