Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow

Its getting really windy here in Upton, Wirral. Good excuse to sneak off work early lol

Posted

Met Office has warnings for wind out for tomorrow for the middle/south of the North West.

ok cheers davemac.

Very blustery out there

Its getting really windy here in Upton, Wirral. Good excuse to sneak off work early lol

definatly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

NSea_2013012912_pcp_75.png

NSea_2013012912_t2m_75.png

large snow event for many in the south of your region on the 12z GFS... talking Cheshire mainly, with the Peak District seeing big snowfall... note the 6z had the NW being at the south-extent of the precip so lots of volatility... but the system moving from the w/sw should cause some disruption for much of your region whether it be heavy rain or snow... what is for sure is the very strong winds to come on Friday, especially the evening as the system intensifies..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees, thunderstorms and heavy snow

I think I'm getting old coz I've really enjoyed the mild temps today (13.4). A pleasant breeze blowing thru my open windows for a change.

Did someone mention snow :-) ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

large snow event for many in the south of your region on the 12z GFS... talking Cheshire mainly, with the Peak District seeing big snowfall... note the 6z had the NW being at the south-extent of the precip so lots of volatility... but the system moving from the w/sw should cause some disruption for much of your region whether it be heavy rain or snow... what is for sure is the very strong winds to come on Friday, especially the evening as the system intensifies..

With temperatures of 4C as that chart shows, it'll be rain, mainly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

With temperatures of 4C as that chart shows, it'll be rain, mainly.

Look closely, temperatures are below 2c for all of the region on that chart, bar the far north of it (look at the shading), and with evap cooling, even better

NSea_2013012912_tmax2m_75.png

Max temps of 1-2c for most of the region, nearer to 3c/4c on the NW coast... that's definitely cold enough for most of the region... I dread to say it, but freezing rain and sleet is also very likely for low-lying areas

Posted

Rubbish, when its convective I've seen snow fall when its been 6-7 degrees. Welcome back backtrack btw, 1st sniff of a snow event and your back like I said! smile.png

I'm not back, I'm just bored. Snow is very unlikely at 6-7C, but I've seen it myself, once.

Look closely, temperatures are below 2c for all of the region on that chart, bar the far north of it (look at the shading), and with evap cooling, even better

NSea_2013012912_tmax2m_75.png

Max temps of 1-2c for most of the region, nearer to 3c/4c on the NW coast... that's definitely cold enough for most of the region... I dread to say it, but freezing rain and sleet is also very likely for low-lying areas

Not too shabby, suppose we could be in for a little end of the week treat, although freezing rain is dangerous, rather that stuff stayed well away.

I'm not back, I'm just bored. Snow is very unlikely at 6-7C, but I've seen it myself, once.

Not too shabby, suppose we could be in for a little end of the week treat, although freezing rain is dangerous, rather that stuff stayed well away.

The winds are looking like being a more worrying feature at this present time, Friday night looks VERY Stormy at present.

Posted

The winds are looking like being a more worrying feature at this present time, Friday night looks VERY Stormy at present.

I love the wind, as long as it isn't a hurricane I say come at me bro blum.gif

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

Well windy here now temp went up to 12c but its back down to 10c.

Did i hear SNOW?

i like the wind as long as its not too scary

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Decent snow chances for you guys next tue and wed both models, but not for me, I need -10 uppers for snow off that setup

Posted

The wind is getting quite bad atm

Anyone else getting the winds?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Bring on the stormy weather!! I love it! smile.png Its my second favourite weather behind snowy weather.

At least it is better than just calm and rain. It is about time long due for a decent Beast from the Atlantic with storm force winds in places. biggrin.png

Hot weather is my third.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted

Assuming it gets that far north, UKMO 12Z makes nowt of it and ECM 12Z is less developmental.

Posted

Bring on the stormy weather!! I love it! smile.png Its my second favourite weather behind snowy weather.

At least it is better than just calm and rain. It is about time long due for a decent Beast from the Atlantic with storm force winds in places. biggrin.png

Hot weather is my third.

Storm force winds? mmm, not sure I like the sound of that to be honest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A bit of a more northerly track to Friday's savage looking low pressure system and much of the region could be looking forward to another spell of heavy snow and blizzards and this time with an extra day or so before the thaw comes. The only problem is that the system will probably end up sinking further south as it comes more into the reliable timescale but as it stands, still all to play for.

Even if we do miss out on the snow on Friday we will probably still have some gales and the weekend and beyond are still looking favourable for wintry weather in the region.

Certainly a bit of interest after a boring few days.

Posted

Tomorrow afternoon and Thursday night next in line for some strong wind gusts blowing in off the Irish Sea if GFS is anything to go by. 70mph winds anywhere a good possibility with higher gusts in more exposed western-facing areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Tomorrow afternoon and Thursday night next in line for some strong wind gusts blowing in off the Irish Sea if GFS is anything to go by. 70mph winds anywhere a good possibility with higher gusts in more exposed western-facing areas.

Yes westerly can be the worst direction for much of the region especially for the coast if it coincides with a high tide.

Could be a good chance to test Blackpool's new sea defences. Probably be plenty of heavy showers blown in as well, just a shame that it's not a colder direction otherwise we could have had decent snow opportunities over the higher ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Yes indeed the GFS is progging gusts of 70-80mph across NW England Thursday morning, at the more extreme end of things but one to watch.