Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Noticed Steve mentioned time running out for snowfall. That's true if you're after an easterly but for us polar N'lys and NW'lys can deliver right throughout March. I've seen snow inches deep from a Cheshire gap streamer in March.

Actually easterlies can deliver snow even in April as was the case for early April 1989, the problem is the length of time that snow can lie at that time of year regardless direction of wind and that is due to the power of the sun.

Biggest gripe I have with Steve Murr is he is far too Scandi high blinkered.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Yes people spitting their dummies out because they want an easterly. I can tell that's the reason behind some of the negativity.

Noticed Steve mentioned time running out for snowfall. That's true if you're after an easterly but for us polar N'lys and NW'lys can deliver right throughout March. I've seen snow inches deep from a Cheshire gap streamer in March.

they are rarer than Easterlies, Xmas Day 2004 was great, and Feb 3-5th 03, but normally NW tends to be a mildish direction, and usually snow is above 300m asl, I much prefer easterlies

Posted

Proper belting it down now..i like the sound of rain when im going to sleep

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Proper belting it down now..i like the sound of rain when im going to sleep

yeah I do too. and the wind outside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

Nothing like a visit to the much loved North West of England thread at the end of the day!

I posted my first post in the model thread earlier after much hesitation, I was mentally too scared to post in there with all those people debating about stuff I really do not know about ... still my post got three likes. blum.gif

Looks like a full night of overcast skies with little precipitation here tonight in the South West Pennines but then again light drizzle/showers may prop up at anytime during sleep time ... temperatures holding off flat at 7'C, tapering off to 5'C by wake up time tomorrow. Will feel freezing as the wind remains in force and the rain arrives tomorrow AM!

Anyway, looks like there are only two other people in here now. sad.png

Edited by SnowySouthPennines

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Gonna take a break from the weather for a while as I seem to have lost complete interest in even cold weather.

I can't wait for Summer though. My favourite month has always been May.

Won't be posting much really, see ya'll soon!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

Gonna take a break from the weather for a while as I seem to have lost complete interest in even cold weather.

Let's hope May delivers some sunshine this year (yes alright it did last year in the last week but this was overshadowed by a horrible first half)!

See you around and I suppose your location finally got its fair share of snow this year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Let's hope May delivers some sunshine this year (yes alright it did last year in the last week but this was overshadowed by a horrible first half)!

See you around and I suppose your location finally got its fair share of snow this year

If it lasted more than a day I might of been happy with the lying snow, as for falling snow I can't complain. Never seen anything like it. :D

Posted

The wind seems to have died down again now, though we were due Gales this evening?

I have winds of around 20mph showing by the Met Office, falling to 13mph by dawn and then increasing again tomorrow going to tomorrow night.

Perhaps gales may fall into a category of wind from 20-40mph?

Gusts obviously plays a part too ... I'm not good with gales and gusts though I must say.

If it lasted more than a day I might of been happy with the lying snow, as for falling snow I can't complain. Never seen anything like it. biggrin.png

Hehe we had 12 days here (approx) ... nice to see locations that far West though experiencing snow that doesn't melt at lunchtime. :p

I bet your back on here posting again during the middle of February when it gets cold & snowy again, I'd put my house on it!! lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Wind really getting up here again after some heavy sleety downpours today!! I even saw a little bit of snow on the A49 this morning on the pavement as i was taking my son to school, suprised me to be honest and its been rather chilly here today, got milder though this evening. Is there a storm coming in tonight does anyone know?

Edited by SparkleS

Posted

Nothing like a visit to the much loved North West of England thread at the end of the day!

I posted my first post in the model thread earlier after much hesitation, I was mentally too scared to post in there with all those people debating about stuff I really do not know about ... still my post got three likes. blum.gif

Looks like a full night of overcast skies with little precipitation here tonight in the South West Pennines but then again light drizzle/showers may prop up at anytime during sleep time ... temperatures holding off flat at 7'C, tapering off to 5'C by wake up time tomorrow. Will feel freezing as the wind remains in force and the rain arrives tomorrow AM!

Anyway, looks like there are only two other people in here now. sad.png

That's because we were reading your post on the other thread! wink.png

NO! I like reading your posts!

I like May too!

Posted

I like May because .....

-The first week has been the common cause of the last frost of the previous Winter for many in times gone by.

-The month itself can typically provide the hottest temperatures until August or September for many, if not the hottest for the whole year.

-Leading on from this, this has happened regularly in the last few years, e.g 2010 and 2012.

-It features almost the longest daylight hours in comparison to the rest of the year (as well as June of course)

-It's good if you like watching farm animals or ducklings because there is plenty of them.

-It's more of a stress for the local garden center because there is no doubt they will be getting in all the stock for the upcoming Christmas (already).

Someone add more blum.gif

Posted

who's kiddin who ?

rainfall 'light' or 'very light' :lol:

I would take a guess we'll have more than 2.6mm rainfall tomorrow !

post-2911-0-28601400-1359413381_thumb.jp

post-2911-0-49687600-1359413392_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

I like summer but I'm very much into winter mode now and we'll all be back in this thread should this come true

http://modeles.meteo...fs-0-288.png?18

it won't but let's pretend it will blum.gif

Crikey dodge you beat me to it - immense chart isn't it! Almost like the most insane chart you could draw for the NW.

Mind you this one is on tonights 18z too:

http://forum.netweat...ttach_id=158292

Yes please! Definitely FI but trends are promising.

Edited by snowdrifter

Posted

Hopefully it can try and pick up on something, after this weekends minor cold blast. smile.png

A lot of people from the South I believe at this time of year are very wary of the fact snow can quickly melt, up North here though (especially Pennines, Peaks etc.) need not to worry as much. :)

Posted

December 25th 2004........lovely

Rrea00120041225.gif

To be honest, up to about 4pm that day, it was actually, weatherwise disappointing. Despite the favourable wind direction, showers were infrequent. It wasn't until the showers massed in the Irish Sea and pushed through that evening that we got decent snow. Hardly any showers before that.

Posted

GFS 6z follows the ECM in developing Fridays low into quite a nasty looking storm. Pulls quite a cold shot of air in behind it as well for Saturday.

Still a long way out but our best bet for snow seems to be appearing more frequently in next weeks output. Monday - Wednesday next week looking ok at the moment, with cold uppers and a good nw wind. All IMBY of course blum.gif

Edited by Snow free zone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

To be honest, up to about 4pm that day, it was actually, weatherwise disappointing. Despite the favourable wind direction, showers were infrequent. It wasn't until the showers massed in the Irish Sea and pushed through that evening that we got decent snow. Hardly any showers before that.

Had snow showers from midday here and kept on going right through to near midnight. I remember sitting down to Christmas day dinner with heavy snow falling. Didn't accumulate properly until around tea time though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow

My phone app is showing snow for Friday. It was spot on during the last few weeks even when everyone was changing their minds etc - it snowed when it said it would. I know there is supposed to be a cold blast but am now hoping it will bring a bit of snow too - is it possible?