Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

People are always saying in summer "isnt this nice sun on your face"?

Im like wish it was winter with snow on my boots.

Posted

me too got withdrawel symptoms already.

A lot of people seem to get down when winters on its way. Im the opposite.

My Favourite season

Forget Summer and Spring Bleh...Autumn i can cope

With as its nearly Winter. Sounds sad but its sooooooo true smile.png

Not sad at all. :-) I love Summer as long as it's not too hot, which it isn't really here is it LOL. I think there's just something special about snow, takes you back to your childhood..dunno, just love it. Also love Autumn, get wrapped up and have a good old long walk, clear the cobwebs..sorted.. I just hate rain, don't mind it windy, just not wind AND rain!!

Off to watch Latics now, can't type and bite my nails at the same time! wink.png

Posted

Jesus ,justs noticed how many people are here or more to the point are not.

Edited by greybing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

already tentative signs that the cold may return by weekend but subject to change of course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

First shower of the day now, quite heavy and temp dropped from 7.3c to 4.4c under it.

Posted

already tentative signs that the cold may return by weekend but subject to change of course.

of course

Posted

Not sad at all. :-) I love Summer as long as it's not too hot, which it isn't really here is it LOL. I think there's just something special about snow, takes you back to your childhood..dunno, just love it. Also love Autumn, get wrapped up and have a good old long walk, clear the cobwebs..sorted.. I just hate rain, don't mind it windy, just not wind AND rain!!

Off to watch Latics now, can't type and bite my nails at the same time! wink.png

yes reminds me of my Dad he loved the snow...when it was coming down fast the other night i knew he was looking down on me and wishing he could join in...hes been gone 19 months now...mind you he didnt miss out on much last winter did he.

Posted

Well ive just come back from finland and as i was approching the east coast of england by newcastle it was green but further inland it was white so i had some hope there would be still some snow around for when i landed in manchester however as soon as we crossed the pennines it was green . Anyway iv seen my fair of -20 temps and feets of snow but was hoping this cold spell lasted for when i got back . How was the snow in the week i heard it was bad here in stoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Well ive just come back from finland and as i was approching the east coast of england by newcastle it was green but further inland it was white so i had some hope there would be still some snow around for when i landed in manchester however as soon as we crossed the pennines it was green . Anyway iv seen my fair of -20 temps and feets of snow but was hoping this cold spell lasted for when i got back . How was the snow in the week i heard it was bad here in stoke

can't vouch for Stoke but we had over two weeks of lying snow here. the last event dropped nearly a foot of snow but that got washed away last night. was good overall for Rochdale anyway.

Posted

Great weekend... Saturday walk in the snow, Sunday watch Latics beat Liverpool 3-2 in FA Cup. Life doesn't get much better than this lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Just spent a long weekend in London, planned weeks in advance so with typical and perfect timing missed the heaviest snow event in the region for some years.

However having returned in the last hour I've obviously missed the greatest thaw of lying snow, probably since records began.

I fully expected to come back to something but TBH there is much less remaining than when we set off on Friday morning.

Going Darn Sarf there was constant snow cover almost to London with bits still on the grass and side roads in London and severe weather forecasts on the motorway signs.

I then watched it unfold on TV and on this forum whilst in London it arrived as heavy sleet at best and was followed by a Saturday that felt like a spring day.

Coming home there was no snow seen until almost Sheffield and even the top of Woodhead was more green then white.

Anyway it sounded good while it lasted up here and at least much of the region can now shake that monkey of its back.

And if anyone says they get more snow down there than we do up north, in this instance at least I can assure you that they don't.

Posted

yes reminds me of my Dad he loved the snow...when it was coming down fast the other night i knew he was looking down on me and wishing he could join in...hes been gone 19 months now...mind you he didnt miss out on much last winter did he.

Awww, sorry matey.....

Posted

I've seen greater and quicker thaws in instances where very mild uppers have flooded NE after the initial breakdown front came up from the SW.

In this case it wasn't until late yesterday that the thaw began in earnest (at least for those with some elevation away from the low lying West of the region).

It's been an unusual set-up that has favoured central parts of the UK and we got the wedge of HP just in the right place.

Posted

Great weekend... Saturday walk in the snow, Sunday watch Latics beat Liverpool 3-2 in FA Cup. Life doesn't get much better than this lol

Same here. Got pasted with snowballs by my son, then he wanted to build an igloo, what he actually meant is that he wanted ME to build an igloo whilst he threw snowballs at my head!!! The igloo didn't get finished for some reason!!!

I'm not actually into footie, but my O/H and son are, so watched it on TV, so was chuffed for Oldham, well deserved.

Posted

Just spent a long weekend in London, planned weeks in advance so with typical and perfect timing missed the heaviest snow event in the region for some years.

However having returned in the last hour I've obviously missed the greatest thaw of lying snow, probably since records began.

I fully expected to come back to something but TBH there is much less remaining than when we set off on Friday morning.

Going Darn Sarf there was constant snow cover almost to London with bits still on the grass and side roads in London and severe weather forecasts on the motorway signs.

I then watched it unfold on TV and on this forum whilst in London it arrived as heavy sleet at best and was followed by a Saturday that felt like a spring day.

Coming home there was no snow seen until almost Sheffield and even the top of Woodhead was more green then white.

Anyway it sounded good while it lasted up here and at least much of the region can now shake that monkey of its back.

And if anyone says they get more snow down there than we do up north, in this instance at least I can assure you that they don't.

Sorry you missed all the fun or not as the case may be. Tried to walk up Rawtenstall High Street on Saturday and there was so much snow it was virtually impossible not to fall over, I could not even get my 4x4 up my drive when I got back. I am sure we will get some more soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I've seen greater and quicker thaws in instances where very mild uppers have flooded NE after the initial breakdown front came up from the SW.

In this case it wasn't until late yesterday that the thaw began in earnest (at least for those with some elevation away from the low lying West of the region).

It's been an unusual set-up that has favoured central parts of the UK and we got the wedge of HP just in the right place.

The thaw was shockingly quick here after 6pm, that warm sector last night seemed to thaw it instantly, 9.1C max, but not too mild today 0.9C now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

The Latics showing Liverpool why not to underestimate a 'small' club, although it didn't seem like a small club at Boundary Park today. Never seen anything like it!

Snow patches remaining on the hills and we have around a 60% cover still right on the tops. Good going!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Sorry you missed all the fun or not as the case may be. Tried to walk up Rawtenstall High Street on Saturday and there was so much snow it was virtually impossible not to fall over, I could not even get my 4x4 up my drive when I got back. I am sure we will get some more soon.

TBH the thoughts of struggling driving in snow and constantly clearing the drive and path does little for me these days.

It must be a sign of getting older but I always get excited at the prospect of snow falling and I'm sure I'd have enjoyed getting out on the Saturday and taking pictures, if only because we may have to wait a long time for a similar event again.

I think your right that we will get some more in the near future and, looking at my finances there's a damn good change that I'll be at home to witness it next time.

Still can't believe how soon it melted though.

Posted

Very rapid thaw overnight, Southern and western slopes of fells have been stripped bare, pity, because winter walking conditions were just getting to a optimum state, i think back to winter 09 to 10 when high ground wad preety much White fr mid dec to mid march, indeed i remember the snow of early feb 96 lingered in juve banks on v low ground well into march, beginning to think this winter is one of three waves, a 2 week cold spell to start, then a 4 week mild wet spell, then a 2 week cold snowy spell, perhaps now a 2 week topsy turvy spell, followed hopefully by a 3 week bitter snowy spell, a little bit like winter 08 09 which saw 3 distinct cold periods interspersed by a shorter lived mild spell, more changeable spell second half jan and the very mild second half to feb.

Posted

Gone down to 2 degrees and The most black Ice I've ever seen nearly slipped about 4 times really bad walking conditions.

Posted

Temp currenty +1.3C with frost covering the car, still mounds of snow just about hanging around

Posted

7.4c 993mb falling 1.5/hr, just started raining, very windy ~ SE 25-30mph (even with the weather station wound down, it's presently mounted on my telescopic radio mast and slightly sheltered by the roof of the house)