Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

LOL at the bare batches, as for the one to the NW do you really have to ask where it is ??clapping.gif

In all my years of taking an interest in the weather i have certainly never seen anything like what happened last night, probably never will again. M6 shut with cars stranded 10 miles south of here, snow in Kirkham down the road, snow in Blackpool (again), Chorley, Leyland, Longridge, Garstang i could go on and on and on. We had a max 1cm here, slushy at best, cannot find a reason for it, everyone else seemingly getting an absolute pasting and Preston sitting in the middle of a snowfest with diddly squat. Same thing happened last Friday, but that was expected as precip approached from the South, but last nights attack was from the West and i still cannot understand why we missed out here like we did.

Have tried to stay away from the pictures today, can stand it once (last weekend) but its a bit galling to see it happen over and over. Then there's the kids, my daughter was speaking to someone from the Fylde at her dancing class today who'd been sledging last weekend and who'd managed to build a snowman again this morning. Then i get the inevitable why does it never snow here questions, i tried to offer some kind of reasoned explanation last week but this week there was really nothing i could add.

I knew it was poor for snow here, i've lived here all my life and you can count the number of decent winters on the fingers of 1 hand, but this just about confirms my opinion that this must be amongst the poorest places to live in the UK if its snow you are looking for - after this winter i'd even say its officially worse than Blackpool tease.gif

LOL at the bare batches, as for the one to the NW do you really have to ask where it is ??clapping.gif

In all my years of taking an interest in the weather i have certainly never seen anything like what happened last night, probably never will again. M6 shut with cars stranded 10 miles south of here, snow in Kirkham down the road, snow in Blackpool (again), Chorley, Leyland, Longridge, Garstang i could go on and on and on. We had a max 1cm here, slushy at best, cannot find a reason for it, everyone else seemingly getting an absolute pasting and Preston sitting in the middle of a snowfest with diddly squat. Same thing happened last Friday, but that was expected as precip approached from the South, but last nights attack was from the West and i still cannot understand why we missed out here like we did.

Have tried to stay away from the pictures today, can stand it once (last weekend) but its a bit galling to see it happen over and over. Then there's the kids, my daughter was speaking to someone from the Fylde at her dancing class today who'd been sledging last weekend and who'd managed to build a snowman again this morning. Then i get the inevitable why does it never snow here questions, i tried to offer some kind of reasoned explanation last week but this week there was really nothing i could add.

I knew it was poor for snow here, i've lived here all my life and you can count the number of decent winters on the fingers of 1 hand, but this just about confirms my opinion that this must be amongst the poorest places to live in the UK if its snow you are looking for - after this winter i'd even say its officially worse than Blackpool tease.gif

Worse than Blackpool? Now that is bad! I live in Orrell just off Junction 26 of the M6 where all the chaos was going on last night it was unreal. You don't expect somewhere 2 minutes drive from your house to be making the national headlines, 2nd time this week with the car with the baby in the back being stolen in Orrell then abandoned in Billinge! A week I'll never forget for sure!

Edited by DaveMac82

Posted

Awww, I feel for you, I really do. That would send me doolally, seriously!!

You need to move or change your name, or both!!!

Just realised, you're probably sick to the back teeth of folk saying that! Sorry!

Edited by SummerNSnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

I wonder what is the official least snowiest place in the NW of England?

West Coast probably

Posted

....amazing isnt it, im guessing the Ribble estuary plays a part..... .

Posted

I wonder what is the official least snowiest place in the NW of England?

West Coast probably

Officially i think its the West Coast/West of the M6 from Lancaster (ish) over towards Southport. Also parts of the Cumbrian coast hardly ever get snow.

Posted

A few flashes of lightning between 9pm and 9.20pm I'm watching the matrix in the dark so they weren't too hard to miss. Good long rumbler's aswell. Squally winds came through aswell for a time as the milder air undercuts the colder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

Officially i think its the West Coast/West of the M6 from Lancaster (ish) over towards Southport. Also parts of the Cumbrian coast hardly ever get snow.

Thanks for the information ... I suppose I take for granted the duration of snow cover here for most cold spells ... in other words the west coast probably has the least amount of days of snow cover (and snow falling).

Posted

When I saw that i had to laugh despite the fact Iive precariously close to the mancunian bare patch.I have no explanations as to why Preston seemingly does so bad for a snow but I sure would like to know....and I did suspect the bare patch was Preston. Edited by greybing

Posted

Thanks for the information ... I suppose I take for granted the duration of snow cover here for most cold spells ... in other words the west coast probably has the least amount of days of snow cover (and snow falling).

M6 is almost always a guide as to where the snow starts and stops. This year up to now that hasn't been the case - thats why its a little frustrating :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

We normally miss out on the snow here in Wigan , but last night was one of those very rare occasions when we took the full brunt of the Atlantic, your time will come

PS I've changed my profile picture finally to someone much more pleasing on the eye...

Edited by Spurry

Posted

Yesterdays snowfall delivered 8 inches here, out highest Total from à single snowfall in a long time, indeed cant think back to when we last saw such a snowfall, possibly march 06, we missed out on heavy falls in recent winters, dec 09 produced more snow cumulatively but not in a single fall, what a pity it couldnt hang around

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Very windy here in leyland, are we due a thunderstorm does anyone know?? Trying to get our little lad to sleep amd some idiot up the street ismsetting fireworks off!! Just hoping a thunderstorm doesnt come along and wake him up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Re snow amounts - its been poor here compared to so much of the northwest this time last night, but I've accepted my fate of being by the west coast in winter. I'll be really honest - I hate it during wintry times but its great in the summer so heyho rough with the smooth. Last night was painful though, with a snowstorm of epic proportions going on only 20 mins drive away while OK we got heavy stuff but shortlved, BUT then I read SFZ's tale of living out his username and it makes me feel that there's always another snow loving person worse off. Last Monday was good here and we did play snowballs and make a snowman in the garden - his mouth was the stick from the 2010 snowman - we kept it and will do so again. Don't ask why! Probably cos it was such good memories!

The one thing that is good is that WHEN it snows properly it is so sweet i try to savour every flake, which is why I keep the radar image from 2010 below, and long for another night like it one day.I will try not to bemoan the fact that I don't live in a more favourable place for snow, but when all is said and done, most of the NW ain't terribly good anyway, so it was so good to finally be on the news for a devent snowfall. Anyway, someone posted this chart on the mod thread, and we know the potential this may have - more than an easterly anyway. Is a GH coming? Here's hoping...

gfs-0-300.png?18

Edited by snowdrifter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Yesterdays snowfall delivered 8 inches here, out highest Total from à single snowfall in a long time, indeed cant think back to when we last saw such a snowfall, possibly march 06, we missed out on heavy falls in recent winters, dec 09 produced more snow cumulatively but not in a single fall, what a pity it couldnt hang around

Brilliant DL - just imagining Bowness pier totally whited out.

Posted

I've never known such a large amount of snowfall become such a sorry state of slushy mess in such a short space of time....

....but before this tragic transition began in earnest, I did manage to get out early today and took myself on a walk up to the Pike with dogs...

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/17500-stone-wall-and-pike/

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/17499-view-from-the-pike/

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/17498-stone-wall-snow-drifts/

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/17491-footpath-up/

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/17487-oldham/

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/17485-manchester-skyline/

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/17494-shep/

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

I've never known such a large amount of snowfall become such a sorry state of slushy mess in such a short space of time....

....but before this tragic transition began in earnest, I did manage to get out early today and took myself on a walk up to the Pike with dogs...

Some lovely pictures,cheers for sharing.

Posted

Am I correct in saying the snow/weather systems have come from a different direction during this cold snap though, rather than your regular Easterley/North Easterly, so areas will be affected differently to the'norm'?? I'm specifically thinking about those who say they've not seen much snow from this?

Edited by Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

That was one gell of a squal that just hit us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Hali and high winds. Still battering us now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Lol it looks strange when you have not seen the green grass for awhile. Not seen grass completely free of snow since a week last Thursday.

I agree, when. I got up this morning my garden looked so different being green, even my dog looked twice!