Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Another heavy shower here, good level of accumulation now. Here is a radar grab of the lightning strike within the last 10-15 mins.

post-7292-0-40468500-1360022679_thumb.jp

Everything taking on the orange glow,skies full of snow. Snawshield completely busted !

'Mon the Westerlies - giving the Easterly a run for it's money here!!

Posted

The snow has decorated the window frames, Dickensian Christmas style. :)

If it doesn't snow in Moffat again for the rest of the winter, can I at least have this one please. Awesome yahoo.gif ... who55d.png

Posted

Another heavy shower here, good level of accumulation now. Here is a radar grab of the lightning strike within the last 10-15 mins.

post-7292-0-40468500-1360022679_thumb.jp

Everything taking on the orange glow,skies full of snow. Snawshield completely busted !

'Mon the Westerlies - giving the Easterly a run for it's money here!!

That lightnight strike was pretty close to Torrance!

Posted

crazy how much snow auchterarder gets when its a 10 min drive from here....it has the opposite of a snawshield whatever that is......a snawsucker???

Aye, 2009\2010 when we got a few feet of snaw, neighbours up with friends in Aucterarder had to be dug oot and dragged by tractor 3 days later

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

snow belting down here heaviest its been all night

Posted

Bonnybridge gone again. Could be interesting if this keeps going all night. Good 2" down now. One side of oor fence is white where the snaw has hit and stuck.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

The showers dont last long but boy they are heavy and each one is now giving a good top up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

majorly heavy here now

Posted

Didn't see the recent lightening flash but almost sure I saw one about 8pm. Last shower gave near whiteout conditions although there looks to be a shower gap on the radar for a while for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

So far it's been a pretty decent evening of snowfall I'd say for the country as a whole (not quite so much Edinburgh but a lot moreso Fife) with some fairly hefty stuff at times and some decent accumulations along with generally non-marginal temperatures since 7pm. I could imagine a month like January 1984 contained a lot of similar outbreaks and it's no wonder that some of our most memorable snowfalls have come from Arctic westerlies. Certainly the comparison to February 2012 on the latest ECM on the MT made me shudder (4C and cloudy with -10C uppers is one of the most irritating setups known to man) and I think we'd all much rather see a continuation of this kind of cold westerly pattern than a dry southeasterly (not that we will necessarily see a repeat of that given the huge uncertainties etc.). Anyway, onto tomorrow morning and the warm sector seems to have downgraded a bit, to the point where it might not require much altitude to see some snowfall out of it.

13020509_0418.gif

At this point things look fine for snow, but the next slide shows what a difference 3 hours can make:

13020512_0418.gif

Of course given the 950 hpas were off by about 2-3C at a six hour range a reprieve or at least a slight holding back of the warmer air relative to the precipitation moving southeastwards is possible, and the NMM shows the precipitation as sleet rather than rain for most and snow for the Highlands and the Borders.

I have reason to believe that the northerly flow may not start entirely snowless for the south and centre of Scotland either, as the Arctic air undercuts a stray occlusion:

fax36s.gif?10-12

and then quite a decent northerly will set in for the following 36 hours at least:

fax48s.gif?10-12

Posted

Up at some silly hour calving a late one off cow.Calf arrived OK navel dipped in iodine but will have to go out again to check everything is OK in 20 minutes or so. We now have 3 inches of level snow with drifts to 18 inches.More heavy snow fell as I was outside.

Currently -1c.

Posted

Absolute blizzard here again, snow is really starting to drift but there is at least a few inches level.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

best there's been all winter for cumbie! a few cms I'd say. it's off for the mo, but was great to be out in it as it fell. hopefully more will come soon!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

This is the mate around Glasgow Airport at the moment

post-9298-0-90273100-1360032371_thumb.jp

Not easy to judge of course but this looks like having been the best snowfall of the winter so far for most of central and western Scotland and perhaps the best since December 2010 for some. National forecasters were talking about the need to play this one down because it wasn't of the magnitude of the last few weeks, which of course is far from true here where it's at least in the same ball park if not moreso. Anyway, this is turning out to be a good winter for snowfall.

Posted

Aye, even snow lying on plant at Grangemouth. First time I've seen that since 2010 I think.

Awesome place for lamping as we must have over 200 streetlights and other lamps over a 1km2 area and 100m altitude.

Posted

M 80 was rubbish this morning - outside lane ungritted, and idiots in white vans deciding 70mph+ speeds were okay.

That aside, Stirling saw about 1cm of snow - however about 0.5cm of that looks to be frost.

Very much a case of incoming showers seeing the Castle, and yelling, "Left Wheel Chaps, Left Wheel"

Posted

Not been outside yet but a decent covering. Council have had the pavement ploughs out already so fair play. Not the best snowfall this winter but some of the heaviest showers I've seen since 2010.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

just under a cm here but the quality frost has ensured thats enough for everything to be a lovely shade of white.....right lets see what the next few days has to offer..... although nothing on the horizon that is great for this area certainly enough to keep us interested!!