Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 03/02/13 12z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Cloudy morning very Breezy with Wind chill making it feel cold

River still running fast, Plenty standing water on fields, Access lane still flooded but passable now.

post-18298-0-80171400-1359977083_thumb.j

post-18298-0-31758900-1359977433_thumb.j

post-18298-0-02266000-1359977487_thumb.j

post-18298-0-99635900-1359977549_thumb.j

Edited by cerneman

Posted

The met office have a ice warning from wintry showers of sleet and snow but somerset and bristol is in some strange hole! lazy.gif

Now casting I think but lets hope we get a last min upgrade. good.gif

Yeah kind of confirmed what i was looking at , there saying precipitation will be lighter in the Somerset Bristol area and will likely fall as sleet/rain within 40 miles of Coasts... Temps will be to high so there will be no Ice risk ... Just hope something upgrades for the Weekend.

Ian Fergusson â€@fergieweather

@purecharmer rather localised alignment of wintry showers but distribution hard to gauge. Bigger concern is ice away from coastal areas.

Edited by snowmadchrisuk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

I just don't get it, in 2010/11 winter we had three good amounts of snow that settled, one fall we had 9 inches of snow in Exeter and we are 10 miles away from the coast! This year we've had two brief snow showers that have not settled, the rest has been rain/sleet, what's been so different this year, all the right ingredients seemed to be there but it just hasn't come to fruition for our part of Devon regarding snow, I don't see it changing either for the rest of winter so now I am looking forward to warm weather really.

I guess because of all this talk on the SSW I was expecting Snowmageddon or at the very least a similar set up to 2010/11 Winter.

This Winter has been a huge squib for us

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Some mahoosive cells showing up on the radar right now, sadly all up North at this stage. Majority of showers are SNOW over Scotland, some turning to sleet/wet snow in Northern England.

post-7183-0-10127600-1359980051_thumb.pn

Watch that little lot come Southwards as the day progresses and in term the ATs and associated DPs will drop quite dramatically. The longer we can delay the action the better. good.gif

Currently in Newbury, it's 8.9c AT, 3.9c DP, 12mph 5 min avg Westerly, 1014.7mb rising slowly Barometer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

I just don't get it, in 2010/11 winter we had three good amounts of snow that settled, one fall we had 9 inches of snow in Exeter and we are 10 miles away from the coast! This year we've had two brief snow showers that have not settled, the rest has been rain/sleet, what's been so different this year, all the right ingredients seemed to be there but it just hasn't come to fruition for our part of Devon regarding snow, I don't see it changing either for the rest of winter so now I am looking forward to warm weather really.

I guess because of all this talk on the SSW I was expecting Snowmageddon or at the very least a similar set up to 2010/11 Winter.

This Winter has been a huge squib for us

still time yet its feb and its looking possible something is brewing hopefully its not tea leafs but its trending towards colder and if we can get cold air from the north east or east then battle ground setup could be on the cards.

but i still would not rule out some snow in the next few days over in the west.

its a now casting situation if you can get the cold air in and some heavy showers going anything could happen after dark would be nice.

Posted

Cold air you say, phew we are at 10.5C and still rising.

Although

I am seeing a shift in the wind direction, it's been WSW all morning and has now swung to WNW, as sign of change perhaps..

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Definite rise in wind over last hour, Sun decided to come out, but there is Windchill taking edge off temps of 9.8c

Posted

still time yet its feb and its looking possible something is brewing hopefully its not tea leafs but its trending towards colder and if we can get cold air from the north east or east then battle ground setup could be on the cards.

but i still would not rule out some snow in the next few days over in the west.

its a now casting situation if you can get the cold air in and some heavy showers going anything could happen after dark would be nice.

Thankyou

Although battle grounds do not like exeter one bit, it seems the line is always drawn three miles to the east of us!!!! grrrr lol

Yes we'll see what the rest of the winter has in store although I am not holding my breath, I'm sure the usual candidates will get their snow though! *huff*

Edited by TwisterGirl81

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I must admit, I am pleased with what we have had snow wise up to now.

If we get anything else from now on, it will be a bonus.

After the thunder storms last week, convective showers are the main prize.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Thankyou

Although battle grounds do not like exeter one bit, it seems the line is always drawn three miles to the east of us!!!! grrrr lol

Yes we'll see what the rest of the winter has in store although I am not holding my breath, I'm sure the usual candidates will get their snow though! *huff*

I'm sure we will, and I'll be sure to let you know about it! wink.pnglaugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Cold air you say, phew we are at 10.5C and still rising.

Although

I am seeing a shift in the wind direction, it's been WSW all morning and has now swung to WNW, as sign of change perhaps..

Darn Costa del Dorset and its' microclimate. tease.gif

AT 8.8c here now so Temps seemingly on the drop.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Darn Costa del Dorset and its' microclimate. tease.gif

AT 8.8c here now so Temps seemingly on the drop.

Dew points are up too, this will have to be quite a rapid cool down to get where we need it to be for the early hours of tomorrow.

post-6667-0-16386900-1359982462_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Yup, wind starting to swing round now from SW to NNW and DP dropping from 0.9C to 0.5C as it does so. Otherwise a beautifully sunny day on the Costa, 9.4C, 1016mb, humidity 52%.

Ooer, according to my local weather station, the wind veered (backed?) by 15 degrees between 11am and 12 noon and the DP dropped by over 4.5 degrees during that time. Amazing!

http://southamptonwe...shchart-day.php

Edited by katemart

Posted

Dew points are up too, this will have to be quite a rapid cool down to get where we need it to be for the early hours of tomorrow.

Come on Coast, what's with this negativity, did you wake up the wrong side of the bed this morning or is it the Monday blues. blum.gif

My DP has been tasty all day considering the ATs. Currently sitting at 3.3c DP so not too far to drop once the big ones come along after dark. friends.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Blimey! DP is now -0.1C all of a sudden. Where did that come from? help.gif

DP -0.3C, humidity 51%, 9.3C (feels like 6.4C)....

Edit no.2: DP - 0.6C, humidity 50%....!

Edited by katemart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

And a rapid cool down it is, partly due to the strong NWerly wind that's soon to set upon us;

post-12721-0-74545800-1359983138_thumb.jpost-12721-0-46547900-1359983151_thumb.j

I wish we could see the NAE WBFL though. We can only see the GFS version and that looks OK in the morning:

post-12721-0-14054800-1359983840_thumb.j

But rises rapidly during the afternoon, turning any remaining PPN to rain;

post-12721-0-97129700-1359983888_thumb.j

Posted

Sun is out here in Gosport and its showing us sleet tomorrow, quite a big change then

Temp 11°C

Humidity 63%

Dewpoint 4.3°C

Wind WNW

Barometer 1016

Edited by lettice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Thankyou

If you have a snow shield around you, then you should keep an eye on the forecast on perhaps more eluvated areas around you and take a trip up to them so you can get it on the action. Devon is full of hills so I am sure you won't have to got that far!!

Edited by Beast of Dartmoor

Posted

I'm sure we will, and I'll be sure to let you know about it! wink.pnglaugh.png

Yes I'll be sure to let you know when we have a beautiful summer and lots of beautiful beaches to go to!!! lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Yes I'll be sure to let you know when we have a beautiful summer and lots of beautiful beaches to go to!!! lol

Summer? I have read about that in books.

Posted

I feel a dangler coming on..... ;-)

EDIT: based on no meteorological evidence whatsoever..

Edited by Erbyskerby

Posted

Come on Coast, what's with this negativity, did you wake up the wrong side of the bed this morning or is it the Monday blues. blum.gif

No not at all! I think a bit of reality has set in looking at all the data today and even in your patch I can see this being a bit hit and miss and over quite quickly tomorrow. I'd rather have a good main course than a 'less then best' starter, mains + dessert! You have to realise sometimes that things don't turn out how you'd like, but that may be because something much better is just around the corner :winky:

Nope, always positive and always looking for the next adventure :good: So with Winter not yet over by a long way yet, I'm keeping my eyes open and my radar screen primed.

Bring on the 2013 snow fests!!!!

Posted

No not at all! I think a bit of reality has set in looking at all the data today and even in your patch I can see this being a bit hit and miss and over quite quickly tomorrow. I'd rather have a good main course than a 'less then best' starter, mains + dessert! You have to realise sometimes that things don't turn out how you'd like, but that may be because something much better is just around the corner wink.png

Nope, always positive and always looking for the next adventure good.gif So with Winter not yet over by a long way yet, I'm keeping my eyes open and my radar screen primed.

Bring on the 2013 snow fests!!!!

Yes, granted for my patch and indeed yours, I think will both probably have snow chance of much snow, if we get any at all, during the reliable timeframe. But where there's hope there's always a chance of ladyluck smiling on us.

I am still confident that a vast part of this region will have a short-term surprises in this coming week and hopefully into the weekend and beyond.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

I am still confident that a vast part of this region will have a short-term surprises in this coming week and hopefully into the weekend and beyond.

A whole load of 12z runs out in the next couple of hours so we might be lucky and find that fickle Lady Luck is going to deal us a cold and snowy hand :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Personally I think tomorrow is a bonus. My little eye is currently on the weekend.

I think midweek this week has more convective/thundery potential. Wouldn't rule our thundery showers and a couple of squall like features.