Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 05/02/13 08z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

The only snow Met Office are forecasting for Leicester now is some light snow at 21:00, with it raining all the way up until 21:00.

Oh dear.

Im 6 miles south of Leicester city center and it's prediciting heavy snow 6pm and 9pm, it's unreliable, ignore it.

Edited by kmanmx

Posted

Temperature may have peaked and levelled at 4.7C for a couple of hours, now dropped to 4.6C. So far, so good. Wind picked up a little too.

Posted

Band is breaking up already south and east of the midlands!!oh well never mInd!!

That's what the BBC forecast showed last night. then another band of precip moving up.

Posted

Turned noticeably more to sleet here in the last half an hour, under moderate precipitation. I dare say the transformation to (initially) wet snow will be complete with the next hour or two here, with temps beginning to tumble.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

There seems to be alot of heavy snow around monday morning on the met office weather map a big upgrade beteen 3 and 9 tomoz i think we will all see hevier spells of snow at some point if we are lucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I think this going to be one of those surprise event, I have to travel to Preston tomorrow morning could be interesting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

somehow I can't believe the precipitation (whatever form it takes) will last overnight and tomorrow. It's already rained for most of today and from past experiences, this is far likelier to peeter out rather than increase. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think this potential event will be that great for any of us. If this doesn't happen then I think the chances of any memorable snow events again this winter are going to be minimal. Bit fed up with this winter now, its been very disappointing cold and snow wise. Bring on the summer now.

Posted

I've just checked the radar for the first time today and it's wrong. it's got a huge dry zone around Northampton down to St Neots yet it's lashing down.laugh.png

Posted

Turned noticeably more to sleet here in the last half an hour, under moderate precipitation. I dare say the transformation to (initially) wet snow will be complete with the next hour or two here, with temps beginning to tumble.

Think the gfs will have it about right with the prediction of sleet at 3pm. Of course that prediction from them can mean rain for say here at 3 and snow in say Coventry overall a wintry mix from around that time looks a fair assesment.

Posted

somehow I can't believe the precipitation (whatever form it takes) will last overnight and tomorrow. It's already rained for most of today and from past experiences, this is far likelier to peeter out rather than increase. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think this potential event will be that great for any of us. If this doesn't happen then I think the chances of any memorable snow events again this winter are going to be minimal. Bit fed up with this winter now, its been very disappointing cold and snow wise. Bring on the summer now.

Another absolutely ridiculous post.

How about you chill out, and wait and see? It's going as forecast and the 'event' (whether large or small) hasn't even begun yet, away from higher ground.

Edited by Polar Low

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Rain fall picking up think will turn to sleet soon

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

don't you just love the forecasters? some could see snow some could see rain, some could see a lot, some could see little or none. well I think they've just about covered every eventuality there. who the hell needs super computers when you can come up with all those possible outcomes?

I've read many times, and from the most experieced of professional forecaster,s that marginal snow events are probably the most difficult to forecast when +/- 0.5C, 50m elevaltion and 50 miles can make all the difference.

If all of us armchair critics can do any better and guarantee a 100% accruate forecast for the whole country then please stand up now and put their money where their mouth is biggrin.png .

(That's meant as a tongue in cheek comment and not aimed at anyone specific.)

Posted

This link is a good way of observing temperature differences across the country - click on the 'Temp' tab near the top-right:

http://www.xcweather.co.uk

I believe it updates every 20 minutes or so smile.png

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Not too bad today thankfully, only lightish intermittent rain, no 'child of nadine' style washout, feels mildish though, although technically average for Feb

northantsnimbus, agree, that is the most nonsense weather saying ever, people here believe it also duh!

Edited by Gimmesomesnow

Posted

Temperatures peaked here at 4.7 degrees, it has now fallen to 4.5 degrees, it seems that as we have now gone past midday, the temperatures won't go any higher today and will gradually start to fall.

And yes, it will pep up more later as it interacts with the cold block

Temperature has now dropped to 4.1 degrees; it's all going according to plan it seems.

Posted

Still raining here, wind picking up and temperature beginning to fall slowly. Still looking good for tonight/tomorrow morning wrt snow&ice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Our local weather station reports temps peaking at 5.7 here today, now fallen to 5.2 so a lot higher than others have reported. DP is a whopping 4 at the moment. Raining hard.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Drifting Snow, Torrential Rain, Scorching Sun.

The cold air is beginning to get entrenched and moderate persistent rain is turning to sleet and wet snow. Since 11.45am, temperature has fallen from 4.4c to 3.1c. The whole system is starting to stall and twist with any east facing hills seeing the heavier precipitation. I think the West Midlands is well placed over the next 24 hours!

Posted

This link is a good way of observing temperature differences across the country - click on the 'Temp' tab near the top-right:

http://www.xcweather.co.uk

I believe it updates every 20 minutes or so smile.png

Bish

Yeh thats what am using!the last update showed rapidly falling temperatures coming in from the east!!