Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 05/02/13 08z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

@mozza81. I think it was some what localised event i was 12 at the time and if i remembor ritely we got just over a foot here in brum. Well lets hope we get a supprise like that memorable event. How ever i cant c it happening stil i can dream.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Thought i'd set up a mini temperature station from the comfort of my office.Good old traditional thermometer hanging from a bush outside my window, along with a digital food thermometer probe that i've fed out the window and hung off the tree, with the display inside biggrin.png

edit:

Temp down to 3.6c :) probe only accurate to +/- 1c apparently but gives me a good indication of temps.

post-14283-0-38461100-1360506018_thumb.j

Edited by kmanmx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Ive just scanned the dewpoint forecast. Little snow untill around 9pm when the dewpoint falls close to 0c/32f anywhere North in a line of Coventry. The key to snow tonight will of course be elavation, plus low dewpoints and surface temps and the precip being heavy enough. Firstly if youre on high ground you have an instant advantage, but all the other ingredients need to come togeather to see snow falling and settling. My thoughts have changed little since yesterday, but a slight correction west shows the high ground of mid Wales Ie Rhayader/Langurig, could see some as well as the prime higher spots of Derby,Shropshire Staffs.. Again Ive highlighted a map of potential settling snowfall, in the blue area ,but the red area shows the most likely potential. All in all still very marginal. Many folks wont see snow falling let alone settling, but there will be the exception....Here for instance its 4.8c and dewpoint 4c. Im almost certain we wont see any snow here in my location ,perhaps a dusting for the highest ground of Cotswolds and Malverns..

post-6830-0-07587500-1360506337_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-67143000-1360506358_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-51097200-1360506388_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-07362700-1360506411_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-08627500-1360506451_thumb.pn

Posted

3 hours for a 12 mile trip..laugh.png

Here you go, these are the charts from Feb 2009 that remind me of todays rain to snow event

http://www.wetterzen...00120090210.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/2009/Rrea00220090210.gif

Didn't have the benefit of drawing in the colder dew points from the continent, extremely marginal. Those areas with existing snow cover seemed to get snow.

Posted

Here you go, these are the charts from Feb 2009 that remind me of todays rain to snow event

http://www.wetterzen...00120090210.gif

http://www.wetterzen...00220090210.gif

Didn't have the benefit of drawing in the colder dew points from the continent, extremely marginal. Those areas with existing snow cover seemed to get snow.

Cheers for that.. happy memories from those events.

Posted

BBC showing Bromsgrove area as having several hours of heavy snow tonight

Blinking typical - another day of will it / wont it school closure day coming up if thats right.

Why cant it have waited till next wekeend when its half term.

Posted

3.4c according to my NASA approved Tesco digital poultry thermometer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i like that1 snowtornado its too cold to snow that's y its raining.

Posted

BBC weather timeline is obviously taken from the MetOffices, as they look identical to me. Shame their graphics don't reflect the same thing.

Posted

The heavy stuff to the south of here is closing in, still to mild though, 4.2c with a dewpoint of 3c.

Posted

12z NAE is a nice little upgrade for East Midlands if I do say so myself.

edit:

I'm telling you guys grab one of these digital poultry thermometers and hang it out your window, works a treat. Seems to be picking up the gradual temperature drop very well indeed. Currently down to 3.0C now, about 0.1c drop every 10 to 20 minutes.

Edited by kmanmx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Ive just scanned the dewpoint forecast. Little snow untill around 9pm when the dewpoint falls close to 0c/32f anywhere North in a line of Coventry. The key to snow tonight will of course be elavation, plus low dewpoints and surface temps and the precip being heavy enough. Firstly if youre on high ground you have an instant advantage, but all the other ingredients need to come togeather to see snow falling and settling. My thoughts have changed little since yesterday, but a slight correction west shows the high ground of mid Wales Ie Rhayader/Langurig, could see some as well as the prime higher spots of Derby,Shropshire Staffs.. Again Ive highlighted a map of potential settling snowfall, in the blue area ,but the red area shows the most likely potential. All in all still very marginal. Many folks wont see snow falling let alone settling, but there will be the exception....Here for instance its 4.8c and dewpoint 4c. Im almost certain we wont see any snow here in my location ,perhaps a dusting for the highest ground of Cotswolds and Malverns..

I love the prediction chart I am right in the middle of the red zone!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Rain has now turned to wet sleet; visible on a car roof or windscreen but not by a casual look from the window.

Posted

I know it's marginal and a largely rain event, but atleast East Mids seems really well placed for once if the 12z NAE is anything to go off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Just triple checking....

I've just seen the first signs of sleet in the rain, trickling down the window facing South East .

Wasn't expecting that for another couple of hours.

On checking the temperature is now down to 3.4C so it is on the fall.

M|A

Posted

12z NAE is a nice little upgrade for East Midlands if I do say so myself.

edit:

I'm telling you guys grab one of these digital poultry thermometers and hang it out your window, works a treat. Seems to be picking up the gradual temperature drop very well indeed. Currently down to 3.0C now, about 0.1c drop every 10 to 20 minutes.

Yup an excellent upgrade for the midlands!!quite moderate snowfall sometimes heavy aswelll according to nae!!gud stuff peeps