Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Model Output Discussion -12Z 07/02/13 onwards

Coast

Posted

As I said yesterday, the position of Sunday's low won't be known for certain until very short timescales - probably Saturday evening. Think back to the events of 18 January, when at very short range there was a major correction in the position of the shortwave feature meaning the snow was reserved mainly for Wales, the BBC put us under an amber warning for snow, in the end we got a couple of flurries at best..

Looking at the models as a whole and upstream signals, it does look a cold outlook in the main, and there is a strong likelihood of height rises developing over Greenland as we move through the second part of the month - this could turn into quite a notably cold February.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

18z really is off on a tangent. Note early on (around t60) notice on all the other models a small pulse of cold air passes south through Scandinavia (this forms the Norwegian shortwave later on), not there, develops a larger shortwave later which pretty much does nothing. This run has pretty much handled every shortwave in north west Europe differently. Kind of interested to see what the consequences are now.

Of course to tease us it sets up a much stronger Scandi High

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter plus Summer.

LOOK at THIS , look at this , CMA 12z is pounding en pounding away with a easterly.

post-18788-0-69377800-1360274830_thumb.p

This is amazing even for me , i am perplex even this is virtueel.

This is a Major event by the CMA.post-18788-0-53704900-1360274958_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Better run so far in regards to prolonging the cold.

gfs-6-126.png?18

Posted

I'm a bit new to all of this, but I'm finding it hard to see how anyone can get excited about what any of the models are showing at the moment due to the lack of cold 850's.. or am I missing something? Surely any surface cold will get modified by the relatively warm sea?

Posted
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)

Basically everything gets shunted slightly further North in the short term and even more further North in the mid term (folks in the North East will love the charts from +102 hours onwards with copious amounts of snowfall).

Anyway I wouldn't be surprised tomorrow if it shunts it back South into France missing the UK entirely!

The GFS is always so predictably unpredictable! ;-)

Edited by East Herts Snow

Posted

Now it is getting realy interesting by CMA 12z , .

Look at this , we see a High 1040 HP , but look the color in there in the core of center.Uou see he is filling ist wit stabiel air massa.

Make him strong.He is getiiing yellow colloured litlle bit.

But tha wat , ANOTHER glide low dooming up.

Wat the hell is going on.

It seems to me a trilla from manilla by the weathermodels.

post-18788-0-58178600-1360274111_thumb.p

Stay tuned for more breaking weathermodel news , i think we are up to something very big like prof DR jennifer told us from the United States. Or it wil be nothing.

The battle with the polar bear or a dream , a hoax ?

Soon we will find out.post-18788-0-83625000-1360274283_thumb.j

The Polar Bear is loading hin self up for the attack , the invasion of brittain , a army of Polar Bears is ready.

I want some of that paint thinner he's been sniffing!.... In all seriousness though, it pains me to say as a zonal loving freak, looks odds on now we're starring down the barrel of lashings of blocked snowmaggedon'ness (is that a word!).

Posted

Initial low isn't best angled on the 18z for snow for Ireland Sunday but minor changes will bring back the risk.

Longer term again more signs the Scandy Block is trending to be stronger and stronger.

Posted

I love the way posters become experts. Ask steve m or gp to tell you where that shortwave will track and what depth and they wont know. The pros are telling you they dont know. Yet we have posters on here saying that they know. Damian is right. Saturday lunchtime should cement the track.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

@ 117 that shortwave/low off scandi is not there on 18z compared to the 12z giving a cleaner easterly flow later on,i am liking this run so far

post-16960-0-02145200-1360275204_thumb.p

post-16960-0-43389300-1360275232_thumb.p

Posted

Agree poor run up to 96 hours.The track of that low not playing ball.

Not for here it's not.

Posted

I love the way posters become experts. Ask steve m or gp to tell you where that shortwave will track and what depth and they wont know. The pros are telling you they dont know. Yet we have posters on here saying that they know. Damian is right. Saturday lunchtime should cement the track.

and your point is???? He's probily still more accurate than the GFS!

Posted

GFS has been all over the place lately - why anyone bothers to take notice of it is beyond me?

I'll certainly be following Meto updates over the coming days.

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted

Trough disruption going on here looks like energy going under at 144? Short term pain long term gain I think here, but still nothing resolved all stuff up in the air really on Sunday so longer term is pointless I guess!

Posted

I am somewhat bemused as to why people are getting all excited about what basically looks to me like a wet cold and raw few days of weather .Theres basically no cold uppers over us and anywhere south of at least the north midlands is just going to get rain? or am I missing something here?.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

T144, this run is only going one way from here..... Ryan Dutch Weatherman, please fill in the gaps smile.png

http://modeles.meteo...nh-0-144.png?18

Edit forget it, I made an assumption that the gfs would actually send that shortwave south east, how silly of me haha

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

I think we will have to accept on this thread for the next few days, there will be a lot of IMBYism

To be honest, the best case scenario on a UK wide basis is for the LP further south, with a strong easterly flow on its northern flank. That way, we see the frontal snowfall Midlands southwards, followed by snow showers spreading from east to west further north....thats probably the dream scenario for the UK as a whole

Latest BBC graphics just tweeted by Ian F:

BCiLtm3CQAAWamb.jpg

SK

Edited by snowking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter plus Summer.

T144, this run is only going one way from here..... Ryan Dutch Weatherman, please fill in the gaps smile.png

http://modeles.meteo...nh-0-144.png?18

Ok wait , i usualy wait until GFS 18z is finished.

It is sometimes very strange runs the 18z from GFS. Moment.

I want finisch the CMA .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Slider maybe?

gfs-0-150.png?18

Posted

Atlantic influence is almost non-existent.

We're are not far away from a rapid plunge into a prolonged cold spell.

The models have the momentum, we need to see it continue tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

The snowline will change from this range so it`s pointless making assumptions good or bad from one run and for any individual area yet.

I like the look of the bigger picture around N.Norway though(500hPa) pattern.That yellow area is growing(heights) up to T144hrs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

From an IMBY perspective, all the runs except the 6Z GFS were fine for convective snow here. Further south it does look iffy although hard to say whether you'd rather be in the high risk frontal zone or the safer easterly zone. Personally after a fairly prolonged battle with frontal snow for most of the winter with varied results I'd opt for the latter. Down the line, I struggle to see anything mild with blocking if anything becoming more of a feature as the month goes on. Whether this can work out well for us remains to be seen but there's easily enough time left for deep cold if we can get the uppers in place. That would take this winter from pretty good to very impressive for snow.