Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18/02/13 20z --->

AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Thank you Mapantz, I'll give something a try.

I always compare to Lyneham, Larkhill, Yeovilton and Boscombe Down but having had it jump to 9.9c then return to 7.2c while

still totally sunny shows something is awry.

You can see from my station it's is about 4m high.

If i lived somewhere with acres of flat land and nothing to take the energy from the wind, it would be situated about 1.5m from the ground.

Having a station with instruments built in to one unit means you tend to comprimise some of the readings, luckily i don't have too much of a problem with it.

I have a couple of other cheap gauges at different heights and i use them to check against my main one, i do the same with the rain as well. I know i cannot get it perfect unless i spend vast sums of money but i can get something fairly accurate by checking it against other readings. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: after the last year not rain rain & more rain!

Lots of frog spawn in pond,,,,,,,Looked around garden and need to get cracking, Even grass really needs first cut of season,

One good thing when there is snow cover, My garden looks as good as my neighbours, Looks like going to have to start Spring clear up, Was hoping would have had little late snow,to have given me excuse to delay , but no such luck,

Already done a first cut of the lawn several weeks ago. Hoping to do a second cut this week. I have been down here for 12 years and last year was the worst for finding a dry window to cut the lawn. I made the mistake of feed and weeding last year in late spring and watched my lawn grow and grow. I think most people in the south west are hoping for a better summer this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I think if I cut my lawn now, it would pull the grass up by the roots! If the progged settled spell by the ECM is anything to go by, I may get a chance to do it by a week Saturday!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Just popped up Garden centre. Got some seed trays and compost, They got load of half price sledges, all piled up by entrance door, But what caught my eye was sign on there cafe door,,,,,," Tea or coffee with free Crumpet" They will be busy this weekend when people see that !!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Did i miss something??? Radio 2 Steve Write just this second said, last nice day today for a while, cloud and rain spreading in with hill snow??? Is he serious, i thought this nice weather would continue albeit a bit cooler with a very small chance of a flurry poss later weekend but nothing much.

Anyone else just hear this to? If so where the hell are they getting info from , met office as they are radio 2 so bbc and bbc get weather from M.O

Same corp but so many different reports, why?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Did i miss something??? Radio 2 Steve Write just this second said, last nice day today for a while, cloud and rain spreading in with hill snow??? Is he serious, i thought this nice weather would continue albeit a bit cooler with a very small chance of a flurry poss later weekend but nothing much.

Anyone else just hear this to? If so where the hell are they getting info from , met office as they are radio 2 so bbc and bbc get weather from M.O

After the winter many have had that would be considered a blizard! rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

There is a weak front travelling west tomorrow;

post-12721-0-03538400-1361288387_thumb.j

That might give a little PPN to more northern areas;

post-12721-0-29572200-1361288447_thumb.j

But nothing down here bar some cloudcover;

post-12721-0-74063400-1361288498_thumb.j

The front should clear eastern areas of the region during the afternoon, brightening up here with some late sunny spells, but remaining cloudier to the west of the region as the front doesn't clear until later in the evening. Its behind this front that we get the colder, continental air.

Tomorrow should be the last day of near average temps for many of us;

post-12721-0-28281200-1361288641_thumb.j

Before some low night time minima tomorrow night;

post-12721-0-20123100-1361288665_thumb.j

And some low day time minima from Thursday onwards;

post-12721-0-09300500-1361288692_thumb.j

Posted

Definetly going to notice the difference in temperature on Thursday;

post-12721-0-53221500-1361289075_thumb.j

An ice day possible in northern and eastern parts of the region, a degree or two above freezing for Dorset, Somerset & Hampshire.

A few degrees above freezing for Devon and Cornwall. Probably average still on the Sicily Isles. :p

Posted

Those of you on the south coast and Cornwall might even catch a flake or two on Friday;

post-12721-0-82348900-1361289597_thumb.j

Otherwise its looking like a cold but dry end to the working week.

Posted

Lol!

Love it! :p

The GFS at 96 hours shows snow flurries/showers over most of England & Wales except for a dry area over the SW;

post-12721-0-52548000-1361289961_thumb.j

post-12721-0-80996500-1361290008_thumb.j

Posted

Beautiful day once again, feels warm in the sun & light wind. Up to 10.5C today after a low overnight of 2C.

Really, really not looking forward to the cloudy, gloomy, cold days coming up, aint nobody got time for that! blum.gif

Posted

Mmmmm..... Has the GFS gone a little OTT on PPN for the weekend into Monday morning;

post-12721-0-58200700-1361290518_thumb.jpost-12721-0-81126300-1361290524_thumb.j

post-12721-0-05179800-1361290532_thumb.jpost-12721-0-51277900-1361290537_thumb.j

post-12721-0-78075000-1361290588_thumb.jpost-12721-0-22321100-1361290595_thumb.jpost-12721-0-09688700-1361290658_thumb.j

Not to be taken seriously at this stage of course, probably just the GFS overdoing something but IIRC, Ian said something about a shortwave crossing the country in the MOD thread this morning so perhaps something to watch over the coming days?

Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

A stunning day in Falmouth once again. Warm in the sun, just. Last of the daylight just fading away now at 6.10pm. Loving it. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

Beautiful day here, blue skies abound, why can't we have them in the summer?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

Evening all, not sure of stats but what I can say is that todays weather was awesome, roll on spring!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Tomorrows Weather for Cornwall now available here: http://cornwallweather.moonfruit.com/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

A stunning day in Falmouth once again. Warm in the sun, just. Last of the daylight just fading away now at 6.10pm. Loving it. biggrin.png

The nights are really coming out now,fantasticdrinks.gif

Great red sky tonight aswell,bodes well.

That wind at this time of year, has certainly got a sting to it though.Trouble is, there's no avoiding it this side of the lizard.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

Missed the spotlight forecast,

Just wondering if the white stuff was mentioned or not?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Dry plus lots of Snow

Missed the spotlight forecast,

Just wondering if the white stuff was mentioned or not?

yes light snow showers for Saturday but no detail on which areas, detail will be firmed up nearer the time?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Interesting weather day today - worked in a sleeveless t shirt in the sun early afternoon, came home at 3pm to find my shaded lawn still had last nights frost on it...

I'd like a few weeks of this please.

Posted

Interesting weather day today - worked in a sleeveless t shirt in the sun early afternoon, came home at 3pm to find my shaded lawn still had last nights frost on it...

I'd like a few weeks of this please.

Looks like we could have a few weeks of it too!

Posted

Clear and turning chilly now under clear skies, after a beautiful day, great seeing the ISS tonight aswel brilliant stuff. currently -0.1°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

1.4c tonight, Did anyone notice the moon was up in daytime sky this afternoon? I saw it about 2.30pm,,,,,,,,,[think 1st Quarter Moon,but not sure what phasing called]

Edited by cerneman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Well what a couple of weeks! Snow, 60 mph winds, sun, wind the whole 9 yrds. Mind you I have just been to the west coast of scotland for the last couple weeks wink.png

Mind you a fantastic weather day today on Dartmoor! Good to get up there in the sun to remind me Devon ain't half bad even compared to Scotland.

Long shot for any snow IMO but with the cold weather in place any little troughs in the flow could prove interesting........