Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18/02/13 20z --->

AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Oh Yes, Smartie, i remember that forecast, also remember him forecasting long fetch Siberian easterlies, that would last a week, then they would extend for another week and so on , it lasted a month from memory.

Also remember one from Ian Mckaskill, temps -5 -7 widley and bags of snow everywhere.

Mike Fish had forecast once for wideley 30cm snow whole southern england, this one didn`t happen and woke up to drizzle, was major letdown then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Dry cold and windy al day with a maximum temperature of -0.2c today so an ice day recorded. good.gif

I'd love to see a few snow flakes though! dry.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Absolutely perishing out there today!......just got home and I'm numb with cold!........ NMM12z shows an increased risk of some snow showers for parts of central southern England tomorrow afternoon

Posted

Agreed, bitter out there today, not fun when you are working outside!! We did have some light snow this morning but only small grains.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Can someone please post a link to a good website showing the precipitation radar :) thank you in advance. Andy

https://www.netweather.tv/secure/cgi-bin/login.pl

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted

Some PPN shown by the UKMO model around our region over the weekend;

post-12721-0-36571700-1361556946_thumb.j

Snow flurries for some maybe!

Posted

Another cold night ahead for many of us with a frost possible;

post-12721-0-33951000-1361557104_thumb.j

Devon, Cornwall and the south coast may just stay above freezing in places.

Ice day possible for some areas again tomorrow;

post-12721-0-37279400-1361557263_thumb.j

Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Another cold night ahead for many of us with a frost possible;

The trouble is, dew points are too low for most as there's low humidity. It was below freezing here this morning and no sign of frost on anything.

It's a funny one again here, while the air is bitterly cold, i'm yet to see any significantly low temps. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

The trouble is, dew points are too low for most as there's low humidity. It was below freezing here this morning and no sign of frost on anything.

It's a funny one again here, while the air is bitterly cold, i'm yet to see any significantly low temps. sad.png

Bet the ground ius frozen though! All standing water is frozen as well as soil so frosts are hard and penetrating regardless of if you can see it. good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Bet the ground ius frozen though! All standing water is frozen as well as soil so frosts are hard and penetrating regardless of if you can see it. good.gif

Not here it isn't. My pond doesn't have any ice on it either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

It's a funny one again here, while the air is bitterly cold, i'm yet to see any significantly low temps. sad.png

In the day temps are fairly low 1/2C but in the night it doesnt drop that low and thats because of mere fact that there is cloud. If there was clear skies tonight, no doubt most place will reach -5C. As with the frost, breezy wind, cloud cover and dry air all equate to no frost.

Not here it isn't. My pond doesn't have any ice on it either.

It must have melted during the day or you pond is quite large therefore you need a few more days of colder temps for it to start freezing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

All in all I'm satisfied. Nice hot summer with torrential Thunderstorms now please! drinks.gif

I know this is'nt the topic of the moment,but when i read this,i was transported back to those glorious summers of years gone by.

Saturday afternoons late80's playing cricket as a teenager in the village.hot and muggy and sweating pigs. back to the local for a few beers and as dusk falls,the odd distant rumble.Walking back home with warm 50 pence pieces hitting your face and then boom a good old storm.

A week of hot sunny weather followed by a close, muggy thundery breakdown. weather just dosn't get better than that.good.gif

Are these just ramblings of an old romantic fool or do some of you yearn for a return of those classic summers of our childhoods?

Who knows,maybe this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Stumbled across this vid, never knew so many snow removal machines existed!

Edited by chris55

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

I know this is'nt the topic of the moment,but when i read this,i was transported back to those glorious summers of years gone by.

Saturday afternoons late80's playing cricket as a teenager in the village.hot and muggy and sweating pigs. back to the local for a few beers and as dusk falls,the odd distant rumble.Walking back home with warm 50 pence pieces hitting your face and then boom a good old storm.

A week of hot sunny weather followed by a close, muggy thundery breakdown. weather just dosn't get better than that.good.gif

Are these just ramblings of an old romantic fool or do some of you yearn for a return of those classic summers of our childhoods?

Who knows,maybe this year.

There's piece music explains exactly what you describe,, Warm muggy summer day,,,Rumble approaching thunderstorm,,,,,,,,,,,,the storm overhead then slowly moving away with return to quiet after storm,,,,,I not classical music fan, but Beethovens 6th Pastoral,,,,,,Is perfect recreation of what you explained above,,good.gif Oh well back to reallity,,,,,Temp 0.2c feeling cold in wind,,,,

Posted

I disagree with that see ..

Although this Easterly hasn't delivered due to a lack of shortwaves or troughs, it has always been the best way to get 'decent' snowfall here.

Battlegrounds are a waste of time, it always rains. Northerlies are about as potent as a fart in a wind tunnel.

The snow we've had this winter has come from a slider-low which has swung the isobars around to a south easterly, or a temporary Easterly. smile.png

PS: Your humidity is extremely low, it's only 10% more than more indoor humidity and i have the heating on and windows closed! laugh.png

Interesting, have just looked around the area, and EGHH (Bournemouth Airport) is reporting 59%. I live on heathland where it is very much stony and dry, so the difference "could" be possible. Down on the harbour the RH is only 68% and there's a heck of a lot of water there, so to be honest I don't think I'm seeing a problem with humidity measurement right now.

As to the easterly,years ago that was what I'd look for when it came to snow delivery with some embedded troughs, unfortunately this is a dry easterly.

Often a slightly more SE off France with some channel convection works well, generating local snow showers.

Again each to his own view, all I can say is this one is dead duck, as far as snow generator lacking some spirited troughs to liven things up a bit, BUT then again it's not just an easterly that's required to generate the white stuff.

This easterly, whilst people felt is was the mother of the cold, really isn't, but again it's beginning to head to the tail end of the winter season so no real surprise.

PS.I don't have the heating on right now.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

Huge drop off of wind speeds in last 2 hours. Really quite calm now.

A scene from fantasia always comes to mind when thinking about a storm. Could be Beethovens 6th accompanies this scene . Iknow it's some piece of classical stuff.

Edited by cornish snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Temperature has gone up from -1c to 0.4c now with a dewpoint of -7.9c and humidity of 54%. The dewpoint got down to -8.5c earlier in the day with humidity as low as 51%. The puddles freeze up overnight and the soil is pretty hard now but no visible signs of a frost because the air is so dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

have light flurry here now 23.15 .very small flakes temp minus 1.4c .wind lighter but bit of a breeze when flurry comes along .i spoke to my son in London he said its been snowing lightly most of the day but no covering .i took dog out earlier and it was bone cold ,quickest walk this year .edit ,the weather was bone cold not the dog ,cheers gang drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

by morning, I'm expecting to be buried under a foot of snow if this keeps on intensifying through the night tease.gif

post-5600-0-78150800-1361581212_thumb.jp

Edited by Fitzwis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Here in Cardiff there are light snow granules/flurries blowing in the wind, light but noticeable with my trusty steed lamppost. Instantly settling, thats how cold and dry the ground is! tease.gif

Edited by Panayiotis