Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 19th February 2013

Snowangel-MK

#clutching straws in here.. I would pay no attention what so ever to what the met say on that.. Once I had heavy snow from 1am-3pm the next day guess what fell.. 2CM...When I was predicted 10-15CM.. Snow is the hardest thing to forcast at best of times in frontal snow.. Let alone rough showers..

Edited by Surrey

Posted

Bbc south east today weather presenter said upto 6cm in kent friday night into saturday!

If thats the beeb forecast then id reckon a yellow warning from meteo on tomorrows update....

Edited by willinkent44

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

The met office now have me down for 12 hours of heavy snow starting at midnight tonight - it is special warning free heavy snow though, so no disruption or danger involved:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow all the way

Meto warnings...????

oh for goodness sake. Huh ? Do you really think we need a warning every time a light snow shower passes through.? I think we going alittle over the top dont you with these statements.

Think you are on the wrong thread, we don't take ourselves quite that seriously, chill.

Edited by Biensie

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

SOUTH EAST TODAY

Dusting tonight in some areas

Upto 6CM Friday-Saturday

Posted

you should see what it shows for Eastbourne! good.gifgood.gifgood.gif

I do actually think we have a better chance of seeing snow against the rest of the region, especially after the reports of flurries this morning. I'm still not expecting to have to dig my way out of house over the weekend though :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter snow.

BBC South East lunchtime forecast: Possible 1cm of snow covering tonight though graphics did not show anything, then 6cms possible in Kent Friday, Saturday was shown briefly from a national perspective with snow shown in North East England.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

#clutching straws in here.. I would pay no attention what so ever to what the met say on that.. Once I had heavy snow from 1am-3pm the next day guess what fell.. 2CM...When I was predicted 10-15CM.. Snow is the hardest thing to forcast at best of times in frontal snow.. Let alone rough showers..

sort of what happened during all that snow over the good cold spell for everyone west of kent and us in jan. We had the snow fall but very little really showed for it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

The met office now have me down for 12 hours of heavy snow starting at midnight tonight - it is special warning free heavy snow though, so no disruption or danger involved:)

In this sort of situation I expect that the METO will wait and *if* a streamer situation or possible band of snow showers comes into view that is likely to give accumulations then they might produce localised warnings on a shorter notice basis than the usual macro scale warnings they issue up to a day and sometimes more in advancesmile.png

It is a tricky situation to monitorsmile.png

Light snow grains/flakes blowing in the wind todaysmile.png

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted

Still no weather warnings on the met office site, I would imagine they will be going up today or early tomorrow for this weekends snow

Given most of the south east is going to have lying snow of varying depths and only hardcore fans read the models a lot of people will be caught unawares

Apparently COBRA has told Meto to skip the warnings - they are going straight to martial law.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

From the Hi Res NMM model, showing snowfall accumulation until 6 on Saturday morning.

I'll post the updated (12z) one later today, which will show the charts until midday Saturday.

post-11059-0-01863500-1361454814_thumb.p

Posted

From the Hi Res NMM model, showing snowfall accumulation until 6 on Saturday morning.

I'll post the updated (12z) one later today, which will show the charts until midday Saturday.

Looks pretty much as other sources indicate. Not loads but a nice covering right where I have to go to take the horse feed on Saturday morning. Stay tuned for pictures!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

In this sort of situation I expect that the METO will wait and *if* a streamer situation or possible band of snow showers comes into view that is likely to give accumulations then they might produce localised warnings on a shorter notice basis than the usual macro scale warnings they issue up to a day and sometimes more in advancesmile.png

It is a tricky situation to monitorsmile.png

Light snow grains/flakes blowing in the wind todaysmile.png

Certainly is tricky, Tamara, seems I was checking the Kenley forecast - 100m higher up! Croydon just gets heavy snow at 3am - lol. I expect any warnings to arrive at about the same time as any streamers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

I think this will be a nowcasting / radar watching and of course the trusty old lampost watching event.

I have a feeling after seeing a flock of parrots heading west, that we are maybe in for a few little surprises...rofl.gif

Current Temp 2c DP -5c and grey cloudy skies.

Edited by LeighD

Posted

that trough to our north looks interesting

It's currently the only thing I can really see that might give something more exciting. Still knife-edge though and I do urge caution to everyone here, in case the weather in the next three days doesn't meet your expectations.

Posted

Certainly is tricky, Tamara, seems I was checking the Kenley forecast - 100m higher up! Croydon just gets heavy snow at 3am - lol. I expect any warnings to arrive at about the same time as any streamers

That NMM high resolution model suggestion for snow accumulation looks promising, taken at face value, for your areasmile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

It's currently the only thing I can really see that might give something more exciting. Still knife-edge though and I do urge caution to everyone here, in case the weather in the next three days doesn't meet your expectations.

Don't worry if I see any landing snow, it will exeed my expectations, seen a few fluries, and that is all I am expecting through this week end.

Posted

Don't worry if I see any landing snow, it will exeed my expectations, seen a few fluries, and that is all I am expecting through this week end.

You never know, you may be one of the extra lucky ones and see snow landing on snow *mini fun ramp*biggrin.pngtongue.png

Posted

Looks good a nice covering for the south of london.

What's even more interesting on that chart is that to me it does very much indicate a fair chance of a thames streamer (Note the line of precip heading north east with less of a covering further east). All just potential at this stage and ppn and amounts will vary. It is good to see though that we should see some snow & get rewarded for watching this develop for a fair few days now.

Makes me laugh how those up north who said this event will be crap and dry (No doubt due to no snow showing in the mod previously) & now their due to join in the action. I hope they get nothing & we get pounded due to their constant moaning and not being happy for us down south.