Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 2nd March 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Yes avfc but most if not all models are pointing towards cool/cold and suggest snow MAY be possible all week. So I'm sure we ll get some sort of an easterly and some snow. I also think some where I the uk will get a lot of snow and this will be where cold air from the east meets warm moist air from the south west. This boundary does not have to be in the north. It could set up anywhere in the uk. Like the channel Islands last week. Fingers crossed it will be us.

Edited by Nigel Langton

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Hmmm? GFS showing an area of snow over the Midlands tomorrow morning and overnight.

gfs-2-24_zpsfb646e65.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Hi guys,

Has anyone else noticed that its been raining for 13hours solidly now ? (in Solihull it has at anyhow).

The intensity has also picked up in the last hour.

When is it due to stop as the water is already starting to lie on the fields

MIA

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

It's clearing west Midlands now, heavy showers following this afternoon though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

It's clearing west Midlands now, heavy showers following this afternoon though.

Thanks Tony,,

Thats good then

MIA

Posted

Clearing very slowly that is perhaps another hour for Solihull.

Posted

Very nice afternoon this is turning into, rather cool at 6.8c but long sunny spells thus far and the potential for some heavy wintry showers this evening.

Edit: After I posted that slate grey skies arrived :lol:

Edited by conor123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

interesting met update with signifikent snow for nnorth and central areas also the mild outlook has been replaced with avrage temps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

To be honest I cant see an awful lot of the Midlands tonight. Just a more organised band of showers for a time, just more likely to be wintry because it will be colder as its night but absolutely nothing significant or noteworthy imo and nothing worth staying up for.

Posted

To be honest I cant see an awful lot of the Midlands tonight. Just a more organised band of showers for a time, just more likely to be wintry because it will be colder as its night but absolutely nothing significant or noteworthy imo and nothing worth staying up for.

i dont think the fact that it will be dark will have too much of an effect on what type of ppn it will be, more so evap cooling and low thickness? or am i barking up the wrong tree? however we do look on course to catch the stuff in the sw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

i dont think the fact that it will be dark will have too much of an effect on what type of ppn it will be, more so evap cooling and low thickness? or am i barking up the wrong tree? however we do look on course to catch the stuff in the sw

It is a marginal situation, definitely looking at the NMM, wintry precip doesnt get going until late afternoon but more evening. Stuill for those who get snow, maybe a or 2cm light covering at best that will soon melt on Sunday morning. Some will miss out as is the nature of these showers. Id go for Ludlow to Shrewsbury as the best places to be.

Posted

It is a marginal situation, definitely looking at the NMM, wintry precip doesnt get going until late afternoon but more evening. Stuill for those who get snow, maybe a or 2cm light covering at best that will soon melt on Sunday morning. Some will miss out as is the nature of these showers. Id go for Ludlow to Shrewsbury as the best places to be.

snow already in wales thread but obv they are in higher elevated areas, yes more western areas are in prime position, im not bothered if i get it or not, seeing 2m level is enough for me for this winter just might be a nice suprise for some in the reigon as this isnt a well followed thread

Posted

Good stuff mate as long as next Sunday is ok meant to be at santa pod :) how's the ukmo looking ?

Posted

Good stuff mate as long as next Sunday is ok meant to be at santa pod :) how's the ukmo looking ?

ukmo has thrown in a shortwave to the n of scotland, that may help things stay further south. looking like an undercut at 144, 168 will be interesting Edited by Staffordshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

looking good, tuesday has popped up out of now where and more snow coming thursday.

Could look very good this week and i keep tell my self its march!!!!! hopefully a snow fest >>>>>> in coming.

Posted

ukmo has thrown in a shortwave to the n of scotland, that may help things stay further south.

shortwave helping in our favour for once lol just hope something happens in the week

Posted

Hmm NAE has some wintriness this evening/tonight in these showers, still 5c though and uppers of -2/-3 so perhaps the wrong side of marginal.

UKMO showing potential for something wintry Monday Night/Tuesday however.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm603.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Up near Hexham in the north east till Monday, cold up here but very sunny, some snow forecast first thing tomorrow. Journey up from Cannock last night was hairy to say the least, didn't plan the route and followed the sat nav which in its wisdom thought the fastest route was taking me off the m6 at Penrith and sending me east across the northern Pennines.

Thought it would be okay as was 5c when I hit Cumbria, far too warm for snow. Things went downhill though once I came off the m6, the route across the Pennines included an ascent up to 1,900 feet to hartside summit near Alston. The temp rapidly dropped as we neared the summit, hitting zero and then I noticed the road had a covering of snow and it was starting to snow again.

So there I was at 11pm at night, on a narrow mountain route at 1900 feet, with a sheer drop on my left, in a ford Mondeo with the wife and 2 kids sleeping in the back. Oh and I suffer from vertigo as well! Suffice to say I drove very slowly and luckily once we hit the summit the journey downhill was ok and the temp rose back up to 1c. Arrived just after midnight in the end, all in one piece.

Oh and my son threw up in the back of the car for good measure, happy days!

Edited by Gustywind