Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 2nd March 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Oh my word what a snow shower here in the centre of leicester!!whiteout!!

Must be here soon then :)

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

Not much snow but coldest I've known it in march for quite some time!!! Below zero all day...and bitter in the wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Must be here soon then smile.png

Yeah just had quite a heavy shower when driving down the final road towards my house. Only lasted 5 minutes, but was pretty fun to see the wind pick it up and swirl it around the road with flakes flying everywhere.

Can't wait for the day where the stars align, and we get this kind of intensity and these temperatures and atmospheric conditions along with a 500mile wide solid chunk of precipitation heading straight over the midlands.

Edited by kmanmx

Posted

I have had a very memorable day in terms of the weather .At my location I had never seen a full,blown ,blizzard;not a daily mail/express whatever blizzard- a proper meteorolgical blizzard.For 20 mins the wind blew a gale almost what seemed gale force with dry ,heavy ,powdery snow ; as the snow swirled and drifted I noticed some IDIOT in shorts and t-shirt and probably shock also take shelter inside some building .I hastily did the same in the library with a few others.Man ,I waited for this day;at 43m a.s.l. to 60m a.s.l. I didn't expect to see these conditions;on Saddleworth moor maybe but not the floodplane that is eccles .I have gone on long enough but I am so glad to have witnessed the peculiarity of todays great weather,one minute spring the next a blizzard.Thanks for indulging my passionate splurge and bad grammer.

Edited by greybing

Posted

Yeah just had quite a heavy shower when driving down the final road towards my house. Only lasted 5 minutes, but was pretty fun to see the wind pick it up and swirl it around the road with flakes flying everywhere.

Can't wait for the day where the stars align, and we get this kind of intensity and these temperatures and atmospheric conditions along with a 500mile wide solid chunk of precipitation heading straight over the midlands.

O the 'little ice age' as it's otherwise known.

Don't worry I believe that snow and things like this will become far more common in the years ahead.

Just think 10 years ago the 'experts' were saying that kids would know what snow was at this time? rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I have had a very memorable day in terms of the weather .At my location I had never seen a full,blown ,blizzard;not a daily mail/express whatever blizzard- a proper meteorolgical blizzard.For 20 mins the wind blew a gale almost what seemed gale force with dry ,heavy ,powdery snow ; as the snow swirled and drifted I noticed some IDIOT in shorts and t-shirt and probably shock also take shelter inside some building .I hastily did the same in the library with a few others.Man ,I waited for this day;at 43m a.s.l. to 60m a.s.l. I didn't expect to see these conditions;on Saddleworth moor maybe but not the floodplane that is eccles .I have gone on long enough but I am so glad to have witnessed the peculiarity of todays great weather,one minute spring the next a blizzard.Thanks for indulging my passionate splurge and bad grammer.

Sure it wasnt a runner? I saw a girl in just a vest this morning, wasnt running, just walking, but looked like a runner

Posted

Not a bad snow shower. Similar to one we had earlier except this one turned everywhere white a lot quicker. Promising if we catch a few more throughout this evening. It's a shame we don't have 20cms on the ground the drifts would be huge

Posted

Just had another nice mini-blizzard, not as good as the one earlier...here's the video, it's quite dramatic :-D

Posted

Nice video, that's the kind of intensity of snow and wind I've been hoping for the only difference is I'd like continuous precip for like 12 hours + , hopefully one day it'll happen

Posted

Nice video, that's the kind of intensity of snow and wind I've been hoping for the only difference is I'd like continuous precip for like 12 hours + , hopefully one day it'll happen

This is a dream of mine, except 48 hours :)

Posted

This is a dream of mine, except 48 hours smile.png

We'll get that within the next 2 years....mark my words :-)

Posted

So just as the day gets even colder and the sun starts to set meaning snow could settle, the snow eases off.

Why do I feel like every snow event always has an element of sods law with it.

Edited by kmanmx

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Coldest March day at Coventry (and probably much of the Midlands) since 1970.

Max at Bablake weather station today 0.7c cf 0.3c in 1970:]

https://twitter.com/bablakewx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Radar rapidly dying off now compared to the beefy one's we have been having

here clear skies and temps now down to -3.1 dp -7 wiind chill -10

Edited by dancer with wings

Posted

Absolutely bitter up here in sedgley, the gusts with the windchill are biting....had a few snow showers. Some more organised snowfall would top it off now...coldest feel of the winter n it's mid march!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

coldest evening here of whole winter, now at -5.1C, have had lower min temps but only early mornings

Posted

After a day of quick hitting snow squalls, looks like it's just about over for us. Wind is pivoting more to the north east as the low to the south moves eastwards, which is not a great direction for us at all. Showers have already diminished quite rapidly.

Been fun though!

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Been in Leicester most of the day, in Syston and Wigston. Heavy snow showers throughout the day. Walsall so I'm told had a shower this morning. That's it.

Posted

The radar is building up again towards the Wash?

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

It is...but heading more southeastwards now. Could be good for the likes of yourself and Northamptonshire...not good for us anymore.

Posted

It is...but heading more southeastwards now. Could be good for the likes of yourself and Northamptonshire...not good for us anymore.

are you serious??? it's coming straight for YOU matey? :-D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

yes Interesting !! the showers off the east coast seem to be clumping more together, how far they or it comes inland we will see ?????