Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 2nd March 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

no feb 09 was no let down, but April 4th was, all I saw was wet snow flurries like today easterly toppler

I'm only comparing today with the 1st Feb and not with the whole event itself...which is almost identical with regards to what is happening here on the ground, i.e. persistent flurries on an increasingly cold wind but not doing anything. With regards to sypnotics, I'm sure Feb 1st 09 is miles away. Like I said, where that led and where this is likely to go is going to be very different sadly.

To be honest, can't remember April 4th 2012 at all...which probably says it all!

Back to the now...shower train getting as far as Nottingham now, but still showing signs of weakening. Going to take a much bigger push than that to get here. Peak District killing anything that gets past Derby.

Edited by Gord

Posted

i only wish we had cinoptics like this in dec and jan it would of been mor interesting and now we get this in march and i don't think we gona see anything snow wise, shame really.

Don't think we would have got much snow from this set up at any point in the winter given our geographical location to be honest.

If it's very cold temperatures you're looking for, yes, this would have been what we wanted 2 months ago. However, I think the set we up we did get from mid January gave us far more snow than this would have. Personally, I wouldn't have changed the sypnotics we got in Jan for this.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Mod snow here with a fresh covering on top of old.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

i only wish we had cinoptics like this in dec and jan it would of been mor interesting and now we get this in march and i don't think we gona see anything snow wise, shame really.

Probably wont have synoptics like this in early winter as the North pole is coldest around late winter, hence white easters are more common than a white xmas!sorry.gifrofl.gifgood.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

I'm only comparing today with the 1st Feb and not with the whole event itself...which is almost identical with regards to what is happening here on the ground, i.e. persistent flurries on an increasingly cold wind but not doing anything. With regards to sypnotics, I'm sure Feb 1st 09 is miles away. Like I said, where that led and where this is likely to go is going to be very different sadly.

To be honest, can't remember April 4th 2012 at all...which probably says it all!

Back to the now...shower train getting as far as Nottingham now, but still showing signs of weakening. Going to take a much bigger push than that to get here. Peak District killing anything that gets past Derby.

Peak district shouldn't be an issue for our areas Gord, although it will be for places like stoke. The trajectory for showers hitting Birmingham will be further south.

Posted

Its snowing in leicester!!yippee and its actually settling in the heart of the city!!gud stuff!!

Edit:and its -1 at the moment!!bloody feels like january all over again!

Edited by shaky

Posted

Peak district shouldn't be an issue for our areas Gord, although it will be for places like stoke. The trajectory for showers hitting Birmingham will be further south.

Oh yeah, I know that. Just making some general observations really. The trajectory is actually well set up for us...we just need to have some more oomph behind those showers!

Posted

Some 'streamers' are making it quite far inland now, i did have a brief spate of of very light snow here 15mins ago.

post-3585-0-27917900-1362946454.txt

Posted

A flurry of snow passing through here as we catch the tail end of those dying showers.

Posted

Strangely enough, the showers are holding together for places like Stoke despite having to pass over the Peak District. Whereas ours are having no trouble dying away with relatively flatter land to cross. Strange and slightly annoying little quirk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

flurries here too but just making things wet.

Posted

Strangely enough, the showers are holding together for places like Stoke despite having to pass over the Peak District. Whereas ours are having no trouble dying away with relatively flatter land to cross. Strange and slightly annoying little quirk.

Yeah I suppose after how lucky we were in January we shouldn't whinge but I can't help but be jealous of those in the south and east :lol:

You'd think with such cold uppers and a strong storm winding up in the channel there would be a trough or two in the mix but alas nothing.

Posted

Thought the wind was coming from the North East? We are missing the showers in Northampton, yet Kettering and Corby are down for snow showers throughout the Night. Usually we are in the sweet spot.

Posted

Thought the wind was coming from the North East? We are missing the showers in Northampton, yet Kettering and Corby are down for snow showers throughout the Night. Usually we are in the sweet spot.

I think it is ENE at the moment so that tends to favour showers entering around the Humber - Wash area and then tracking WSW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Not even a sugar dusting here in Leics.

Posted

I think it is ENE at the moment so that tends to favour showers entering around the Humber - Wash area and then tracking WSW.

knew it... We need the showers to move SWS. . Showers moving WSW will hit the Leicestershire area and Northern parts of Northants, Corby, Etc.

Posted

Seriously bored of this 'cold spell' already, unfortunately no spring warmth being shown on models for any time soon.