Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 13th March 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Not thunderstorms, but I do have a panic attack everytime the mother-in-law pulls up the drive shok.gif

Now then, seeing the mother-in-law in a thunderstorm!help.gif No I jest, my mother-in-law was very understanding a couple of years ago when I took a swift detour to her, after being caught in a storm in Bromley.

Virtually fell threw her front door, a quivering wreck!

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

Hi,

sl36, sorry to hear that you're another member who doesnt like thunder/lightning, our small numbers are growing.

sl, would you go as far as to say its a phobia with you? I do seem to be the only guy that has a phobia re. thunder, in this thread, and it def. is a phobia (have had therapy for it, which unfortunately hasnt helped).

Do any of our male members have the same problem?

Regards,

Tom.

hi tom

i have a few friends who are the same

male and female

they are more afraid if they are not expecting it

i tend to be more dubious of lightning as a few years ago

i was playing cricket and a bolt of lightning hit the pitch

thankfully not hitting anyone (lucky it was dry)

that was the only time we got pulled off the pitch over than rain

mind one year in june we got taken off due to snow but i was really young then

we all have phobias mate

my one is bills laugh.png

Hi,

sl36, sorry to hear that you're another member who doesnt like thunder/lightning, our small numbers are growing.

sl, would you go as far as to say its a phobia with you? I do seem to be the only guy that has a phobia re. thunder, in this thread, and it def. is a phobia (have had therapy for it, which unfortunately hasnt helped).

Regards,

Tom.

hi Tom . Think it may have been something to do with when my mother left me In my pram out in a Australian storm I don't remember it but I have never liked it and it does scare me any time of the day it night :(

Posted

Hi,

Regards,

Tom.

I'm afraid I don't like thunder and lightning either. My sister is so bad she shuts herself in the larder! sorry.gif

Posted

Chucking it down here. Driving to home town in the west country - Radstock, also home to Gibby - in a min; looks like we will have the wet and windy stuff all day so an interesting drive in store across Salisbury Plain.

Well, totally treacherous driving conditions coming back tonight over the A303. Steady to heavy rain across Salisbury Plain with plenty of standing water; gritters were out although temp was 4C. Came along just after a bad accident with 4 cars strewn across the carriageway and a poor guy desperately trying to stop drivers ploughing into the two cars wedged against the central reservation in the rain; an absolute obstacle course of cars and debris to navigate.

On the brighter side, we walked through Midsomer Norton in the most amazing hail storm ever; pea sized balls of hail came thick out of the sky, covering the ground in minutes so the main road was deep in hail, and the cars needed headlights and advanced anti-skid driving skills. My son held out for five minutes enjoying the feel of the hail on his head, but in the end the stinging got too much and he took shelter under the umbrella which had the hail thundering onto it. FAB! Also some lovely sheet lightning across the sky driving over Salisbury Plain which lit up everything in purples, oranges and whites; looked gorgeous.

Edited by Reefseeker

Hi jan

I'm afraid I'm much like your sister if its during the night I hide under the duvet and during the day I wack up the tv or music and shut curtains saying that last yr I was in the garden with my daughters when a bolt of lighting happend and they recorded me running about screaming trying to get everything in as not to get wet lol

Posted

Hi SL

It's awful isn't it? But a phobia is an irrational fear. People tell me not to be so silly, but it can't be helped.

Yep I close all of my blinds during the day, and have to put the light on at night. It's not nice blush.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I can recall being scared as a nipper...There wasn't much worse than waking-up, in the pitch-black, to the sound of torrential rain when needing a p!ss...I had to dodge the closet monster, avoid upsetting the toilet sharks, beat the flush beast, and then get back under the covers before the lightning - all without disturbing the olds...Very harrowing!laugh.png

Posted

PPVE89.gif?31415

tomorrow

yuk

UW24-7.GIF?16-18

UW24-594.GIF?16-18

UW30-7.GIF?16-18

UW30-594.GIF?16-18

during the day heavy persistant rain

winds variable south east varying to east

temps around 5-7 degrees

slim chance of some wintry bits falling in the afternoon when wind direction changes

no laying expected

PPVG89.gif?31415

UW36-7.GIF?16-18

UW36-594.GIF?16-18

UW42-7.GIF?16-18

UW42-594.GIF?16-18

tomorrow night

heavy persistant rain

temps around 3 degrees

still a chance of a wintry mix during the night

starting to dry up around 8=9am

PPVI89.gif?31415

UW48-7.GIF?16-18

UW48-594.GIF?16-18

monday

looks again like heavy rain but more north of the river

still showers to the south but not as heavy

east to south east flow

feeling cold around 5 degrees

wintry mix possible but mainly rain

PPVJ89.gif?31415

UW60-7.GIF?16-18

UW60-594.GIF?16-18

monday night

more of a westerly flow

temps around 3-5 degrees

guess what heavy rain again

PPVK89.gif?31415

UW72-7.GIF?16-18

UW72-594.GIF?16-18

tuesday

windflow a tricky call but looks more easterly

528 dam air in situ

still have to call wintry showers here in the heavier bursts

will start feeling cold again around 5 degrees

flood watch would be needed if the rainfall predictions are correct

update the rest when available

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

I can recall being scared as a nipper...There wasn't much worse than waking-up, in the pitch-black, to the sound of torrential rain when needing a Nope - that swear filter is too clever for mes...I had to dodge the closet monster, avoid upsetting the toilet sharks, beat the flush beast, and then get back under the covers before the lightning - all without disturbing the olds...Very harrowing!laugh.png

What u mean when you was a kid.?I still have to do all that now? And you forgot about the ghosts!

Also timing it before u get up ,so it doesn't thunder whilst u out of bed.lmao

Edited by Floatylight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Cloudy, Warm (Not Hot) Winter: Thundersnow

Hi SL

It's awful isn't it? But a phobia is an irrational fear. People tell me not to be so silly, but it can't be helped.

Yep I close all of my blinds during the day, and have to put the light on at night. It's not nice blush.png

Unless people have a phobia, often, they do not understand. You're in good company in here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Rotten afternoon here, heavy rain on.off thanks to some proper downpours; Heavy Rain/Hail & Thunder + Lightning. So you count me out of the No Storms Club 2013 already ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Downstairs toilet as a child, scary.

Felt like the longest journey in the world,but with no central heating it was freezing aswell.

I used to run up the stairs four at a time in the dark, then stand on the plug for the electric blanket, ouch lol!

Posted

God I hope that's an aeroplane ,I have my earphones in now anyway just incase.

Am I forecast anything here?x

They used to have weather prefrence with your pic on the left side but when they took all the stuff of when it was getting busy on here they never put that back.mine said scared of thunder and lightning.

Edited by Floatylight

Posted

God I hope that's an aeroplane ,I have my earphones in now anyway just incase.

Am I forecast anything here?x

hi floaty

probably planes

making a racket here as well

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

It looks like there is a distinctive trough setting up from the Thames Estuary towards Brighton, feeding in from further SW in the Channel. Could be some downpours building as that is dragged across the SE.

Posted

What u mean when you was a kid.?I still have to do all that now? And you forgot about the ghosts!

Also timing it before u get up ,so it doesn't thunder whilst u out of bed.lmao

And the under-the-bed creature which could grab your ankle as you got out of bed

Posted

Is it true about counting elephants?as to how many miles away the lightning is?lol

Posted

And the under-the-bed creature which could grab your ankle as you got out of bed

Don't....

Hubby thought it would be funny to put a red bulb in teenagers bedroom last night before she got home late from rollarworld.

Didn't relies she has watched a horror film that if your bulb goes red you next to be got by the grudge,to be killed.

Well talk about freak! poor girl ,we didn't know.feel well bad :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Is it true about counting elephants?as to how many miles away the lightning is?lol

Sound travels at 1000 feet a second or around 300-400 metres. So every 3 seconds is about a mile :)

Edited by PerfectStorm