Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 13th March 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Snow in the West Country according to reports from there

Morning BB and MK,

Yes, settling snow being reported on our neighboring thread, in Devon, Somerset, Wilts, Dorset and looking at the radar no doubt in Hants/Berks too.

Looks to be pulling north into Oxon and staying west of London for the time-being.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

Morning BB and MK,

Yes, settling snow being reported on our neighboring thread, in Devon, Somerset, Wilts, Dorset and looking at the radar no doubt in Hants/Berks too.

Looks to be pulling north into Oxon and staying west of London for the time-being.

Regards,

Tom.

Looks like its heading for the midlands ðŸ˜!temps around freezing aswell!!

Posted

Morning BB and MK,

Regards,

Tom.

Morning Tom. I agree it looks to be heading north and west of London. Some quite heavy returmns being shown on the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Looks like its heading for the midlands í ½í¸!temps around freezing aswell!!

Hi Shaky,

Yes, looks like its pivoting north into the S.Midlands, would expect reports from Oxon/Warks soon, poss extreme west of Bucks/Northants.

Some amazing looking runs from the overnight models again, esp for north of the midlands.

Tom.

Posted

its ok here at the moment but me rain alarm saying there a lot of heavy stuff to the west of me

Posted

A small depression coming off the English Channel will bring some heavy rain across the area, which will fall into cold air as it comes inland. This will give the risk of settling snow, though with marked variations in amounts from place to place. There is also a risk of heavy hail temporarily lying on road surfaces leading to slippery conditions.

ESTOFEX have a warning out that just clips the South coast and says:

Storm Forecast

Valid: Sun 17 Mar 2013 06:00 to Mon 18 Mar 2013 06:00 UTC

Issued: Sun 17 Mar 2013 05:41

Forecaster: VAN DER VELDE

A level 1 was issued for northwestern France mainly for some chance of tornadoes.

SYNOPSIS

A large low pressure system is situated over British Isles and its radius of influence spans entire western Europe. The low is rather old and its frontal systems broken up, the more active systems are two shortwave troughs moving around Ireland into the English Channel. The temperature gradient increases over the Iberian Peninsula as result of cold air advection from the large low towards the south and warm air advection from the subtropics. As slight frontal wave develops and the warm sector is unstably stratified.

An upper cold pool resides east of Poland, cut off from any warm air by the Russian cold airmass.

DISCUSSION

...northwestern France area...

In several models, the better CAPE seems to lie north of the jet, but an overlap between more than 20 m/s DLS and CAPE should be present in the southern half of this level 1 area. The northern half, however, still shows more than 10 m/s bulk shear in the 0-1 km layer, which combined with low LCL heights may favor a tornado if a mesocyclone-bearing storm could form (probably needs the deep shear). Hodographs show modest curvature and helicity, though.

Some big weather then maybe later?

PPVA89.png

Posted

would not be surprised to here on here soon of advise weather around the A2 area near reading there some very heavy rain in the area at the moment!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and plenty of it.

Could it happen here ? From BBC News

Tanks could be seen along with other tracked military vehicles

Tanks have been deployed to reach snowbound motorists in Hungary as cold weather causes transport chaos across eastern Europe.

T-72 battle tanks trundled along icy roads, while thousands of people waited in cars on the M1 motorway from Budapest to Vienna.

Many had been stuck on the road since Thursday evening.

In Bulgaria, a woman was killed when high winds brought down scaffolding in the town of Gabrovo.

Outside Hungary

Heavy snow paralysed parts of south-eastern Poland, where police were redirecting heavy lorries for fear they would get stuck

At least 19,000 households were left without power in eastern Slovakia after high winds damaged the grid and lorries backed up on a road

Posted

Maybe something convective for the South coast today?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

I was really not expecting to wake up to heavy snow this morning! Impressive intensity and large flakes...

(in Oxford)

Edited by 03jtrickey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Sunny here haha

Posted

coast all that ppn over west side is that coming our way if it is there some very intense stuff over there at the moment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

Heaviest snow of the winter falling atm! Already a covering over grass in last 10minutes! tease.gif

Still snowing.....haven't seen flakes this size for a long long time! Some about the size of a clenched fist!!!!!!!!!

Edited by stratty

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning MKSN. the radar shows snow to the north of that feature, however more rain here at the moment. Today i am supposed to be coming to the great land of IKEA maybe it will snow hard enough to stop my trip to MK1rofl.gif

IKEA @ MK1 on a Sunday crazy.gif

.....are you mad ? blum.gif

I'm expecting it to stay wet, cold (currently 1.5 °C) and miserable here all day. A wintry mix at the moment with the heavier bursts of sleet turning to snow due to evaporative cooling.

I've lost count of how many days I've seen snow flakes falling this winter/spring now but it has to be a record (I'm wishing I'd kept a tally) we might not have had the highest accumulations but certainly have seen the most hours of snow falling that I can remember for a very long time.

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted

hi tom

i have a few friends who are the same

male and female

they are more afraid if they are not expecting it

i tend to be more dubious of lightning as a few years ago

i was playing cricket and a bolt of lightning hit the pitch

thankfully not hitting anyone (lucky it was dry)

that was the only time we got pulled off the pitch over than rain

mind one year in june we got taken off due to snow but i was really young then

we all have phobias mate

my one is bills laugh.png

That's a coincidence I often talk about a game where it snowed in June, we where playing someone like London transport, I went out to bat in my whites, short and long sleeve jumper and a leather jacket. Also played in a couple of games where the pitch got hit by lighting and got a shock via my studs. Those where the days, swallow swooping through the air, warm beer, playing out in the heart of Kent in the middle of a hop field, playing in front of 1,000's up on Dartford Heath on bank holiday Monday, the wild nights when we won the league over at Knole park.

I played over a 1,000 games of cricket over a 25 year span, some of the reasons why our games got abandoned where, death someone had a massive heart attack whilst batting collapsed and died after a fine cover drive, which was stopped yards from the line, the ball was then kicked over the line once the serious of his conditions was known, probably the only case of a post death four? Swarm of bees, wasps, wind, heat, light, lightening and we once played an important league game in torrential rain where the ball stopped if it got of the square, in fact in floated, we won that one and went on to win the league.

Where have those days gone, just left with the pain of long departed friends, and the aches of dodgy knees, bad hands and shoulders that can't lift, but it was fun, but any of you young uns out there when people tell you play sport you'll be fit for life, I can assure you that you won't. Back to my dreams of youth now.

Edited by Charltonkerry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

IKEA @ MK1 on a Sunday crazy.gif

.....are you mad ? blum.gif

I'm expecting it to stay wet, cold (currently 1.5 °C) and miserable here all day. A wintry mix at the moment with the heavier bursts of sleet turning to snow due to evaporative cooling.

I've lost count of how many days I've seen snow flakes falling this winter/spring now but it has to be a record (I'm wishing I'd kept a tally) we might not have had the highest accumulations but certainly have seen the most hours of snow falling that I can remember for a very long time.

............i was just thinking exactly the same thing! Not only the amount of falling snow but also that has settled, again not the biggest accumulations admittedly. Has been all snow here....about 300m asl. Mega flakes continue to fall, beautiful to watch falling with a morning coffee!

Fine sleety/snow now, but a heavier blob looking to come through Oxford again.........

.............I questioned why the BBC Weather F last night had a white blob over us....now i know!

Edited by stratty

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

And in Akeley (near Buckingham), just been sent this by a friend who lives there..

post-10773-0-05992500-1363512736_thumb.j

Posted

Morning :) Some interesting weather around this morning I see! Woke here to strong sunlight pouring in which was lovely, cloudier now though and currently 6.8c

Posted

SatRep for today shows the front moving through and out to the North Sea later:

LOC_20130317_0900.png

loop_onweer.gif

Edited by Coast