Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

So fed up of this mild weather. Only had one frost so far and the double figure nights have been common! Its so depressing when you go on the model thread and people go "no cold in sight". I think sometimes they enjoy winding us cold lovers up.What do you mean "going into" its been mild all of september and all of this month. Zzzzz

September was actually a tiny bit below average so it was not unusually warm at all. I dont post in the MOD now till next Spring so i dont really know whats been said but i cant see much cold around either for the forseeable future. Of course sudden switcharounds do happen though. Plenty of time for the cold to arrive through November and into December.

Posted

I find that strange. 35 miles down the road and there are leaves all over the place.

I didn't say there are no leaves on the ground here, I was replying to the idea that most trees have apparently lost all their leaves in Northern Ireland- a lot here are still pretty much covered in leaves, maybe I was wrong to say 'most'.

Posted

September is bound to be warmer smithy.

Patience-you are seeking cold too early.

Wait until November onwards when we have more chance of decent cold spells.

Posters in the model thread are generally saying what the models show and are not winding coldies up as you put it.

Chill out a bit mate.Grumbling about the model outputs wont alter what the weather does.Posted Image

September does not have mostly double figure mins nor does October. Although it has cooled down at night double figure mins are well above average and it will warm up this week anyway. 

I don't want loads of snow i just want some normal October weather!!

Edited by smithyweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

September does not have mostly double figure mins nor does October. Although it has cooled down at night double figure mins are well above average and it will warm up this week anyway. 

I don't want loads of snow i just want some normal October weather!!

Your going to get normal October weather over the next few weeks like everyone wet at times, mild and windy

• Like 1

Posted

September was actually a tiny bit below average so it was not unusually warm at all. I dont post in the MOD now till next Spring so i dont really know whats been said but i cant see much cold around either for the forseeable future. Of course sudden switcharounds do happen though. Plenty of time for the cold to arrive through November and into December.

The number of cloudy nights with double figure minimums was well above average this September! WELL above average. 

Your going to get normal October weather over the next few weeks like everyone wet at times, mild and windy

Not normal to have double figure mins.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The number of cloudy nights with double figure minimums was well above average this September! WELL above average. 

Not normal to have double figure mins.

Average minima for September - 8.3C

October - 6.1C

So even in October it's just as likely to have double figure minima than it is to have a frost (Air temperatures 2C approx)

Even in December and January temperatures staying in doubles figures at night is not unusual if you have a south westerly pattern.

Also Autumn has a habit of being a rather cloudy season given the high likelihood of west/south westerly winds.

So nothing unusual about the weather really. Greenland blocking and northerlies are highly unusual at this time of year.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted

Yes average min for September is 8c but average min for October is just under 6c according to met office climate maps. 

But i'm going on past experience. 

2012 -http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/CASTLEDERG/09-2012/39040.htm

2008 -http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/CASTLEDERG/09-2008/39040.htm

This year -http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/CASTLEDERG/09-2013/39040.htm

About 15 double digit mins in September.  Also more lower record mins for each month compared to this year. 

Edited by smithyweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Suit you then, you love the rain! outside summer especially

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

This kind of raw easterly weather isn't so normal for October but what's coming up looks much more normal - wind, rain & mild temperatures with air off the Atlantic - suits me this time of year!

Those complaining of the lack of cold - it is only October! Compare October cold in terms of April warmth - possible but generally not very common. And then think about this April - it was still below freezing during the first few days only returning to close to average mid month. Even then we stayed way below average until mid June when it finally warmed up. Perhaps if we hit christmas and its still mild then there's something to complain about! :lol:

• Like 7

Posted

This kind of raw easterly weather isn't so normal for October but what's coming up looks much more normal - wind, rain & mild temperatures with air off the Atlantic - suits me this time of year!

Those complaining of the lack of cold - it is only October! Compare October cold in terms of April warmth - possible but generally not very common. And then think about this April - it was still below freezing during the first few days only returning to close to average mid month. Even then we stayed way below average until mid June when it finally warmed up. Perhaps if we hit christmas and its still mild then there's something to complain about! Posted Image

You should read james madden latest post he may be right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

And I am going to win the lottery.........

without buying a ticket Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

If thats the one about the ensembles going colder into November then he's wrong

http://null/TWO/ensembles/

Even Moscow is trending well above average from next week after there early blast of cold weather

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Bobby, October 16, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Bobby, October 16, 2013 - No reason given

I have a feeling I am going to have to wait to December to see any snowFLAKES which is just plain depressing.

Edited by Bobby
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

If thats the one about the ensembles going colder into November then he's wrong

http://null/TWO/ensembles/

Even Moscow is trending well above average from next week after there early blast of cold weather

Indeed, looking very mild in Bucharest, Kiev, Helsinki, Warsaw and Berlin too. If these places arn't cold then we probably won't be unless we get potent northerly but even that looks unlikely.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

This October has so far been unusual for its lack of cold nights, but largely frost free Octobers are not unusual, indeed I can think of a few Octobers that were largely frost free but had a close to average mean temperature, most notably 2004.

It feels like the season hasn't been advancing much because September was near average to fairly cool and then we're having a warm October.  2001 was a particularly extreme case, when in some parts of the country, October was warmer than September had been, but snow showers then fell widely on the 8th and 9th November.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Thing is Oct only felt warm up to the 8th whereas after that it has felt quite cool with the wind, rain and next to zero sunshine. It is, of course, the mild nights that have meant a warm month so far. The season does look to be progressing though with the plant world changing colour or looking very tired or just dead. The rapid shortening in daylight hours too has made its mark - the feel from 16th Sept to now is quite different even with similar temperatures. 

Very much looking forward to the warmer and brighter weather - mild nights but with cold feeling sunless days is a waste of warmth!

Posted

Personally I'd rather have this mild weather now rather than later, us coldies just have to just ride this one for time being and with any luck (in other words if the strat plays ball) the cold will arrive right on queue at some point in December :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

Personally I'd rather have this mild weather now rather than later, us coldies just have to just ride this one for time being and with any luck (in other words if the strat plays ball) the cold will arrive right on queue at some point in December :)

Yes, it's better that way. Remember last year we got a cool Sept, Oct and Nov and then it turned mild mid Dec and over Christmas. Didn't feel cool enough to be properly festive. Let's hope for something more Xmas 09 or 10 this year and if that means having to endure a mild and wet autumn then so be it... Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
  • Like 1

Posted

I have a feeling I am going to have to wait to December to see any snowFLAKES which is just plain depressing.

You should see anything before December as a bonus and remember that Dec itself is usually the wettest and most zonal month.

Posted

Snow over xmas might look nice but is very disruptive for those of us who will now be travelling to/from home to see family. The real snow can wait till Jan when it don't matter anymore!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

November tends to be the most zonal month here. Rainfall amounts drop as the month progresses in December.

Posted

Its not a bonus. We always get November snow.

You must be very young or have a poor memory - I very much doubt that to be the case.

• Like 4

Posted

best to look at the nearest Met station to see whether snow has fallen every year in November, say in the last 10 years?