Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

But at least it will be cold!Posted Image

The issue is and this the the crutch of the argument

10C is not classified as cold. Never has and never will be.

All this spell will bring is cool weather with some chilly nights with a patchy ground frost in favoured spots where the skies are clear, which will be at the moment north west England and Western Scotland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Yes seasonal weather for me.

Too early to wish cold for the sake of it as nothing exciting would come of it yet.

November onwards yes,cold,crisp and frosty with bright days or snow i don.t mind.

In the meantime this lovely warm sunshine with the Autumn colours is quite acceptable. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Guess it depends on preferences/activities each person has/does. I snowboard and always look forward to mid October onwards as it usually brings the first hope of frequent snow showers over the higher hill/mountains in the highlands. I get excited when the first mention of wintry over the Scottish mountains arrives in the metoffice forecast.

So for me October is not pointless for cold weather but I can definitely understand why others find that it is.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Guess it depends on preferences/activities each person has/does. I snowboard and always look forward to mid October onwards as it usually brings the first hope of frequent snow showers over the higher hill/mountains in the highlands. I get excited when the first mention of wintry over the Scottish mountains arrives in the metoffice forecast.So for me October is not pointless for cold weather but I can definitely understand why others find that it is.

That's fair enough to be honest.

I can understand SI feelings due to being in one of the parts of the UK which was first buried in low cloud from the remains of ex-tropical storm Humberto and then stuck on the battle zone between the high to the East and the Atlantic low. Worth bearing in mind that whilst western areas saw very little sun. Some further east saw Sunny conditions prevail most days over the last 2 weeks.

In the end if conditions down here were cool and bright with a few showers I wouldn't be too bothered. It's just the fact that it could rain constantly for several days which is doing my head in as frankly not one person on this site I bet would be happy with that.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

To be honest I love the cold weather and I don't mind the rain either...we should be thankful that we live in such a climate with lots of rain...we'd be in trouble without it....it is our lifeblood after all.

• Like 1

Posted

Today was forecast to be fine and sunny with temps up to 18C so I thought it'll be the final chance to enjoy some warm weather this year. Wrong as it's just more of the same depressing rank grey filth that we have had to endure on all but one of the past 9 days. A useless, write-off day with zero sunshine Posted Image

Looking at the satellite it's just ridiculous. There is an area of stagnant cloud just stuck over us that just won't move or break up despite there being plenty of clear skies all around.  I am beyond sick of this garbage. 1 sunny day in 10 and 2 sunny days out of 13 is absolutely dire even by this country's standards. A pattern change can't come soon enough as literally anything would be better than this cloudy mild nothingness which, as well as being extremely uninteresting, is disastrous for the tree foliage as demonstrated perfectly by the autumns of 2006 and 2011.

October used to be one of the more interesting months as a wide variety of conditions would be possible: the last warmth of summer, the first frost of winter, gales and storms. Now none of these are likely. Just endless cloudy mild nights, maxes of 11-14C, low diurnal ranges and the odd bit of drizzle. 

Real warm Octobers of the past like 1921, 1959 and 1969 saw 21C reached whereas pathetic trash like 2005, 2006, 2011 and now 2013 can't even reach 18CPosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

To be honest I love the cold weather and I don't mind the rain either...we should be thankful that we live in such a climate with lots of rain...we'd be in trouble without it....it is our lifeblood after all.

Not really, we have an ocean surrounding us, ever heard of desalination? places like Spain and the Middle East use desalinated water for everything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Not really, we have an ocean surrounding us, ever heard of desalination? places like Spain and the Middle East use desalinated water for everything.

Duh?   why have desalination plants when it rains so much...lol...no need for it when we get soooo much lovely rain.., oh and the cold too, that's nice, cold and rain is even better, can't wait..Posted Image

Edited by simshady
  • Like 2

Posted

Duh?   why have desalination plants when it rains so much...lol.....Posted Image

You said we'd be in trouble without it duh, how can we be when we're surrounded by ocean which can be turned into drinking water if we end up as dry as Spain Posted Image Considering the Atlantic seems to be giving us less rain these days who knows in the future we may have to use desalination more widely in the country.

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Unfortunately desalination is very expensive, if you can afford the huge hikes in water bills great, if not then its a different story.
  • Like 1

Posted

Unfortunately desalination is very expensive, if you can afford the huge hikes in water bills great, if not then its a different story.

Yep I agree it is expensive and if push comes to shove and if our climate gets drier we will have no other option but to use desalination, might as well use the trillions of litres of water that is right next to us eh? and it all gets recycled back into the sea too.

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted

Yes, sunshine, warmth, people out and about enjoying themselves with smiles on their faces.....terrible isn't it.....

The world doesn't stop when it is not warm. People still smile and enjoy themselves whatever the weather.

Wouldn't be much of a life if we base our moods and the daily life on the weather.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Yep I agree it is expensive and if push comes to shove and if our climate gets drier we will have no other option but to use desalination, might as well use the trillions of litres of water that is right next to us eh? and it all gets recycled back into the sea too.

Sounds perfect, just hope the technology to do it gets lots better, which it should do eventually to be fair. My concern is that it would give greedy utility companies another excuse to charge the Earth again. It's been a belter of a day here in W London, absolutely stunning :) Still need lots of rain as I've said before. Hope it stays warm-ish though Oct til November though.

Posted

Sounds perfect, just hope the technology to do it gets lots better, which it should do eventually to be fair. My concern is that it would give greedy utility companies another excuse to charge the Earth again.

It's been a belter of a day here in W London, absolutely stunning Posted Image Still need lots of rain as I've said before. Hope it stays warm-ish though Oct til November though.

I agree mate.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

We have colder weather on the way which i guess its what you expect in October. However, apart from 1 day of possible clear northerlies its looking like a north sea muckfest. I am hoping low pressure doesnt park itself in the North Sea as it can bring very dreary conditions to eastern coasts.

Edited by Milhouse

Posted

Oh no the warm weather brigade are posting charts at T240 that's when i know its turning colder.

Off to the lake district at the end off this week. Hopefully it will stay cool and there will be some nice crisp mornings in the mountains.

Edited by No Balls Like Snow Balls
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

It's been a belter of a day here in W London, absolutely stunning Posted Image Still need lots of rain as I've said before. Hope it stays warm-ish though Oct til November though.

Was just to the north of you today and agree it was a belter of a day, and I hope it continues too for a few weeks more.

I agree mate.

me three

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Today was very nice; a cool, dewy start followed by a warm afternoon. If the upcoming period of cooler weather delivers sunshine and nighttime frosts, then I am all for it! Temps around 14C by day and 1-3C by night with sunshine is the best combination for brilliant autumnal colours. Nothing beats crisp fresh sunshine IMO.

If we end up getting lots of cloud, then I'll be annoyed, but it's been dull recently anyway, so the only change will be a decrease in temps.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

Yes, sunshine, warmth, people out and  about enjoying themselves with smiles on their faces.....terrible isn't it.....

The world doesn't stop when it is not warm. People still smile and enjoy themselves whatever the weather.

Wouldn't be much of a life if we base our moods and the daily life on the weather.

Lol I think the point was being out and about  - not sure many will have a smile on their faces, I'll take refuge in the pub Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

Could October be coming in like a lamb and and out like a lion? I am not sure I am ready for winter just yet, we missed out on half a spring. Don't want to do the same in autumn!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

To look on the positive side, as much as I love mild weather outside of winter, the northerly is due to deliver more sunshine on Thurs and Friday than the southerly/westerly will in the first part of the week.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Could October be coming in like a lamb and and out like a lion? I am not sure I am ready for winter just yet, we missed out on half a spring. Don't want to do the same in autumn!

Yes, lets "have" the seasons in the right order and a decent amount of them, the last long winter and apparent lack of spring was not fun.

To look on the positive side, as much as I love mild weather outside of winter, the northerly is due to deliver more sunshine on Thurs and Friday than the southerly/westerly will in the first part of the week.

I am hanging on to that change to more sunshine too.

• Like 1

Posted

sigh, for the people on here it's rather baffling to see people celebrating charts which would provide the same surface conditions except it will be 5C cooler.

Neither warm or cold, just cool, breezy and mostly cloudy with outbreaks of rain at times, some heavy in the south east for a time.

So after much ranting and raving about cloudy and damp conditions over the past couple of weeks, you are celebrating charts which deliver the same thing.

I'm sorry but I cannot at all get excited over this, boring, depressing easterly muck.

Posted

Thankfully the metoffice update at least for the south is for near or above avg temps for the south for end of oct. reading the mod thread makes it appear winter is fast approaching but just like the elusive hunt for the white stuff its more in hope than anything else !

• Like 1