Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern Regional Discussion Discussion 21st May 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Not looking like a great day tomorrow unless your a duck. Pretty wet and miserable with the exception of Cornwall and Devon maybe;

06:00

post-12721-0-14953000-1369664887_thumb.j

09:00

post-12721-0-20564100-1369664904_thumb.j

12:00

post-12721-0-35942100-1369664921_thumb.j

15:00

post-12721-0-68274200-1369664938_thumb.j

18:00

post-12721-0-65307700-1369664953_thumb.j

21:00

post-12721-0-80345600-1369664974_thumb.j

00:00 Weds;

post-12721-0-58677100-1369664993_thumb.j

03:00 Weds;

post-12721-0-02448200-1369665012_thumb.j

06:00 Weds;

post-12721-0-28400500-1369665030_thumb.j

Wouldn't be suprised to see a warning from Exeter published soon. Some notable 24 hour accumulations here;

post-12721-0-62470100-1369665122_thumb.j

Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

I've apparently been under rain for about an hour and a half now according to the radar, but still nothing coming down!

Your the lucky one.Steady and at times heavy rain for the last 6 hours

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Today.......vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile!

You get my drift?

Posted

Today.......vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile vile!You get my drift?

So err.......... What's the message?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Soggy old day here, 10°C was the best it could do. 15.2mm of rain so far as well ..

post-15177-0-71563000-1369758591_thumb.p

Posted

Had a horrible journey from Worksop down the M1/A34 and along the A303 today, I don't mind driving in rain but when it's heavy verging on torrential at times for the entire journey including fog like spray it is so tiring!

Thankfully though all 3 weekend days away were sunny/warm and the sky is clearing now to allow late sunshine.

Nearly 20mm in my gauge from last night/today which is lower than I expected.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Yes, three good days over the weekend, followed by 24 hours of persistent precipitation.  It's just about stopped here now, but only produced 20mm in that time, like Andy, I thought it would be more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

10.1c was today's max and 17.8mm of rain today has been recorded up to now (as others have said it felt like there was more...) Posted Image

It's June in a few days and to me it certainly doesn't feel like we should be approaching the end of Spring already! Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted

Think i must be a day ahead of many of you. Quite a good day,especially after yesterdays persistant rain.Sunshine with the odd shower just about sums it up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

We have our fire on again ,absolutely horrid afternoon and looks like some realy interesting weather now showing on radar for east coast ,will it make it here .might just crack open some thatchers cheers all Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

A few observations about this spring so far for anyone interested...

I work outside doing garden maintenance and landscaping, and this has been a really intriguing spring so far. I really feel for farmers having crops failing, but in gardens the growing season has been quite spectacular in some ways, even with low temperatures.

Grass, hedges and trees were at one point several weeks behind compared to normal - six weeks I'd say because of the cold. But since then grass has grown extremely well in the last month - some fortnightly cuts have gone weekly a full month earlier than normal. Hedges have had a first flush much more vigorous than last year, even if a month late. Some have grown more than all last summer already, and it wasn't a bad year last year (apart from conifers, which suffered badly after 2 very dry years followed by a very wet one). The best thing this spring has definitely been fruit blossoms, most noticeably cherry - they have been simply stunning and apples and pears could be in abundance if the summer is good. Aside from the farming world, and low spring temperatures, I think overall this has been a much better warm up to summer than last year - the endless rain had started by now and business was poor for me to say the least - this year it certainly isn't even if a few days are a bit problematic.

I hope summer warms up, but continued varied - I love the cycle of hot, breakdown, showers, hot again much more than endless days of blue sky - I like my bit of the world green personally. And for work, growing...

Edited by SilverWolf

Posted

And it's been a brilliant year for Spring bulbs, due to the cool weather they've all flowered for much longer than usual. Was looking at the Holly tree earlier today, it's absolutely covered with teeny, new berries; the Hawthorn and Blackthorn should give a good crop too this year - all thanks to being slowed down by the cool weather and not flowering too early, only for a frost to kill the blossom and young fruit.

I reckon by mid August at the latest we'll start getting predictions for next winter based on the amount of berries on the bushes.....

Posted

Noticing simialr things here too.  The flowers on the hollies in the churchyard are like snow, all the herbs in my garden are flourishing, as is the rhubarb after a very slow start.  Even the few winter pansies that I planted in the autumn are now flowering vigorously again, unlike the last couple of years when they never recovered after the winter.

Posted

I reckon by mid August at the latest we'll start getting predictions for next winter based on the amount of berries on the bushes.....

From all sources i've read, it's usually the other way around? If you get a decent, warm Spring with average rainfall, you're likely to see more berries. The same with Holly, i remember a few years back when we had a hot Autumn, it was perfect for the Holly trees, they went mental with berries leading up to Winter.The BBC put a report out saying that fruit harvests will be good this year due to a prolonged Winter but i'm not so sure. There was hardly any blossom on my plum trees, it's been a long time since i saw that :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

3rd day of warm sunshine here. Today is 100% clear blue skies whilst the rest of the country suffers with cloud and rain. :D Been so lucky here. :D

Posted

Might be worth mentioning, the rain moving South through our region could turn heavy or thundery. There's some decent CAPE values and some instability. The sunshine has helped here..post-15177-0-22920800-1369915750_thumb.p

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

It did hit 16.5°C earlier but it's plummeted since the rain arrived. 

Currently heavy rain and 13.3°C

post-15177-0-39819300-1369924413_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Its a very pleasant warm day here.... Wonder if this is our summer??!!

Posted

Might be worth mentioning, the rain moving South through our region could turn heavy or thundery. There's some decent CAPE values and some instability. 

The sunshine has helped here..

Posted Imageviewimage.png

Well there wasn't anything thundery but I can tell you it hammered down in this area! Reviewing the radar shows some intense development occurred between 13.00-13.30 in the BA postcode area.

I was out working and viewed the radar at 12.45 which encouraged me to stay working, I ended up getting soaked to the skin thanks to the rapid developments!

Posted

From all sources i've read, it's usually the other way around? If you get a decent, warm Spring with average rainfall, you're likely to see more berries. 

The same with Holly, i remember a few years back when we had a hot Autumn, it was perfect for the Holly trees, they went mental with berries leading up to Winter.

The BBC put a report out saying that fruit harvests will be good this year due to a prolonged Winter but i'm not so sure. There was hardly any blossom on my plum trees, it's been a long time since i saw that Posted Image

I was being very tongue in cheek about the winter predictions. Every year we get forecasts for the winter based on the current state of the likes of Holly berries, the theory always goes that if there's lots of Holly and Hawthorn berries, we're in for a harsh winter. Of course, how many berries are on Holly etc is entirely subject to the weather during the preceding Spring. This year we've had a cold winter and a prolonged cool spring. The first of these helps because it allows the plants to have a true dormancy period, the long, cool spring has helped because it's delayed flowering until a time when a harsh frost is unlikely to follow - hence more fruit and berries. All we need now is to avoid a drought, but have some warmth and sunshine and we'll have a bumper fruit harvest.

Posted

3rd day of warm sunshine here. Today is 100% clear blue skies whilst the rest of the country suffers with cloud and rain. Posted Image Been so lucky here. Posted Image

Bit of a wind blowing today though.Rough out in the bay first thing.

Looking like we will lose this wind into the weekend but keep the sun. Come on summerPosted Image

Posted

Who's ready for good sunny spells and temperatures up to 70F tomorrow then?

post-12721-0-14516900-1369935728_thumb.jpost-12721-0-93716500-1369935734_thumb.j