Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 27th July 2013

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I just wish storms like that would actually hit the UK, just like they used to in the 70s/80s/90s! For some unexplainable reason they seem to actually swerve to avoid us these days lol. Will be most disappointed to just get rain later, though we do need it admittedly.

Yeah I know, those storms we got Monday night were very good, but some people missed out and they were also homegrown too. And as you say, those motherships of storms used to hit us bang on, it must be influence of the steering upper winds being more Westerly, or SST's being a bad influence and promoting development over hot landmasses (France and the Benelux). That Biscay stuff developing does have thunder and lightning in it though at the moment, so hopefully this will be a continuing trend and intensify later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Ahh yes...the terror of brown grass

If I don't get rain soon my sheep will be starting on this winter's hay. So yes, rain would be good for agricultural reasons. Personally my garden lives or dies, I don't water and if anything can't make it through extremes then it doesn't get replaced :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Looking at the radar the system just passing the BoB and now over Rennes has just taken an easterly track.. how odd... I wonder if the whole thing will go further east and mostly miss the UK like the big bit in the channel right now...

The low is beginning to form so would expect the path of some activity to veer east and west a bit in the coming hours.Feeling warm here this morning with some cumuliform formations trying to develop to my west (still in Chatham at the moment)Looking forward to seeing Nick F's convective forecast Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

the latest from Ian Ferguson 15 mins ago, Very latest assessment reduces widespread thundery threat SE England and downplays high convective gusts; hail expected small (sub 8mm). also Likely too that major MCS will only clip or miss SE. Still heavy rain and some thunder but for sure nothing near as bad as France

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I must get saving money and get like a flat along that Benelux coast or something. Every year at some point they seem to get these super Mesoscale Convective Complexes bully their way NNE right through them. I mean that system is as big, if not bigger than The Netherlands itself Posted Image

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Pretty much all of Belgium is experiencing this storm - that's how big it is. What I would give to get a storm that covers all of the UK!

Posted

Latest UKMO assessment generally much less threatening across S England: much more positive, despite areas of heavy rain/some thunder later

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and dry

If I don't get rain soon my sheep will be starting on this winter's hay. So yes, rain would be good for agricultural reasons. Personally my garden lives or dies, I don't water and if anything can't make it through extremes then it doesn't get replaced Posted Image

That might be the case in Norfolk, but one thing Devon is not short of is rain...or grass

Radar suggests a much more easterly component to the storms in France...looks like we'll have to be happy with home grown storms

Posted

the latest from Ian Ferguson 15 mins ago, Very latest assessment reduces widespread thundery threat SE England and downplays high convective gusts; hail expected small (sub 8mm). also Likely too that major MCS will only clip or miss SE. Still heavy rain and some thunder but for sure nothing near as bad as France

Well....that's pony!!!!!! :cray: Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

the latest from Ian Ferguson 15 mins ago, Very latest assessment reduces widespread thundery threat SE England and downplays high convective gusts; hail expected small (sub 8mm). also Likely too that major MCS will only clip or miss SE. Still heavy rain and some thunder but for sure nothing near as bad as France

So, big fat nothing for me again, I get a day of low cloud, wooooooooooohoooooooooo Posted Image

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Ever notice that when the met go crazy for storms and or very intense rainful, one to watch e.t.c it hardly happens. Yet when the mention of the odd storm get's thrown about, we get plastered.

Posted

the latest from Ian Ferguson 15 mins ago, Very latest assessment reduces widespread thundery threat SE England and downplays high convective gusts; hail expected small (sub 8mm). also Likely too that major MCS will only clip or miss SE. Still heavy rain and some thunder but for sure nothing near as bad as France

I presumed that was for the MCS off the SE England at the moment, not the rain tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Is it time for a Level-3 Damp Squib Alert, yet?Posted Image 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Latest UKMO assessment generally much less threatening across S England: much more positive, despite areas of heavy rain/some thunder later

Well there's a surprise! Posted Image

Posted

Ever notice that when the met go crazy for storms and or very intense rainful, one to watch e.t.c it hardly happens. Yet when the mention of the odd storm get's thrown about, we get plastered.

To be fair, Ian Fergusson indicated towards vivid storms a few weeks ago and there was zilch (and I spent a quiet lonely night in Dymchurch lol). The models are all over the place so every chance it might be mistaken.....hopefully...although would be happy without the hail :DFeels like humidity still on the climb too Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Looks like at this stage the first band of rain has stayed over northern France / Belgium and its now moving into Holland

Worth keeping an eye on that band of rain which is heading to Jersey

Posted Image

It looks like some last minute downgrades have occurred this morning with the first band not moving into the SE like it was expected to this could turn into another one of those close but no cigar events

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

July 2007 bears too many very worrying similarities to this. I'm taking nothing for granted at all, as this is too close to call, but in the circumstances that is (relatively) 'good' news (if it happens) as far as I am concerned. I just hope that it gets rid of before the evening is out....

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted

...although would be happy without the hail Posted Image

Nail some plywood sheets over your car, that will stop it getting dented

Posted

I thought the first batch that has clipped the SE was supposed to do exactly that, then we should be watching the north of the Biscay area for development today?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I'm actually pretty shocked, I would have though there would be good chances for us, especially as the low responsible is still modelled to track right over us

here is the 06z GFS

Posted Image

Posted

I thought the first batch that has clipped the SE was supposed to do exactly that, then we should be watching the north of the Biscay area for development today?

That was my understanding as well. Think the NW tip of France and the Bay of Biscay is where we're meant to be watching as well.

Posted

I'm still looking for initiation within 9 hours time from now for the midlands northwards, the MCS missing may be somewhat of a damp-squid but GFS is still progging for significant rainfall across most (if not the majority) of central England by tonight.