IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 27th July 2013

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

I do...it's our baby (only had it 6 weeks!!) Posted Image

Awww, they grow up so fast these days :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

When you consider that, under optimum conditions, storms can build out of next to nothing in an hour or so, it's hardly surprising that neither man nor machine can pinpoint things twelve hours ahead of time?Posted Image 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Just to burst people who live in the East's bubble, the clouds in the Bay of Biscay containing rain/thunder are heading straight for SW England instead of Central/SE England. Posted Image

That would be great if it did that but that's not what's forecast but just in the week we got torrential downpours that were meant more for South Wales so you never know! 😉

Slightly worried though as I'm getting my first car later and will be out in it driving for the first time alone! Eek but exciting!

Posted

I expect this could develop into something similar to that June 2007 storm with the heavy rainfalls over the east Midlands and Yorkshire (tonight in this case).

Expect the earlier rounds of this to be 15-30 mm rainfalls from borderline severe storms in south central England, by evening 20-40 mm rains in much of the southeast and counties immediately north of London with more frequent lightning, then an all-out blasting storm further north in the east Midlands and Yorkshire, later extending into northeast England and southeast Scotland, with potential for some localized 50-150 mm rainfalls and severe flash flooding. Lincs and southeast Yorkshire likely to be the epicentre for this event.

I would not expect much by way of hail or damaging wind potential but the main severe characteristics will be intense/frequent lightning and torrential rainfalls. The ground is charged up from the long hot and mainly dry spell so that the breakdown will be quite electrically charged, as was evident in recent days in parts of Ireland. The behaviour of the leading wave moving up through Belgium indicates this outcome as being likely also.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

After a cool and cloudy morning here the sun has now come out and it's warming up nicely.  Looks like we'll get a right soaking by that mess coming out of France but I'm not too optimistic about getting much thundery activity this far west. Kent looks like the place to be (or Benelux lol).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Yes all good here. Ok it's been that long I have no idea who you are :-o Name change? Yes I had a baby so went awol for some time. She is just over a year old now so things are beginning to settle down nicely (or were until the last 3 nights of wakings!)

South East looks prime spot as always :-D Fun to watch wind if owt does happen. Wonder if they will be tagged on behind the main band or ahead?

Congrats...Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I used to be plain old Pete Tattum, back when I was in Inverness...

Guest William Grimsley

That would be great if it did that but that's not what's forecast but just in the week we got torrential downpours that were meant more for South Wales so you never know! Slightly worried though as I'm getting my first car later and will be out in it driving for the first time alone! Eek but exciting!

Yeah it looks like that we're just going to see some rainfall now.

Posted

Developments across NW France and Biscay looking good. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Storms leaving France being dubbed an MCC, haven't seen one of those in France since 2010.

Posted Image

Guest William Grimsley

"Hopefully the Met Office is correct. We need some rainfall."

Do we? Why?

Yes we do. Well look at the gardens there all parched.

Sat24 site is highlighting the development of the low out of BIscay now

http://www.sat24.com/?ir=true&ra=true&li=false

That looks good to the W of the lightning for me all that rain even so we could see some thunder this afternoon here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

That would be great if it did that but that's not what's forecast but just in the week we got torrential downpours that were meant more for South Wales so you never know!

Slightly worried though as I'm getting my first car later and will be out in it driving for the first time alone! Eek but exciting!

Just in time to go storm chasing! Posted Image

Posted

Congrats...Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I used to be plain old Pete Tattum, back when I was in Inverness...

Ah thank you that makes sense now! LOL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Developments across NW France and Biscay looking good. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Storms leaving France being dubbed an MCC, haven't seen one of those in France since 2010.

Posted Image

That image is striking for many reasons....you have yesterday's MCS still rampaging through Scandinavia, the most recent savage over Benelux, then the next lot of activity further SW...seems almost fitting that, like London buses, the cloud tops are shown red :D

Pretty awesome image! IMO

Also striking as the image shows more clearly where the moisture is :D

Edited by Harry

Posted

LOOK whats forming in Biscay looks like the leading edge will hit south coast earlier than expected

Edited by gpspete

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

is ATD busted on current netweather radar ? as its showing no sferics for the clump north of Biscay ?

Apparently blitzortung is down as well....that will make today's proceedings interesting to s the least!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Still/Hot or extremes. Fog/Damp etc boring...

Looking at the radar the system just passing the BoB and now over Rennes has just taken an easterly track.. how odd... I wonder if the whole thing will go further east and mostly miss the UK like the big bit in the channel right now...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

wow that storm is bigger than the whole of the Netherlands, that country is getting swallowed up by it Posted Image

Posted

Did you get one? :-)

(Completely OTT but what the hell is a warning point?!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Just in time to go storm chasing! Posted Image

If I was more confident and had more money in the bank I would have travelled to visit my friend who lives near Portsmouth which may be the place to be, oh well, hopefully the southwest gets a present from Mother Nature next week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and dry

Yes we do. Well look at the gardens there all parched.

Ahh yes...the terror of brown grass