Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 29/7/13 20z------>

A.J

Posted

Seems as though that line of cloud has just passed me too, also dropping a few fat drops of rain here..sky looks interesting:

post-5283-0-30331200-1375384796_thumb.jp

post-5283-0-68747900-1375384823_thumb.jp

post-5283-0-40597300-1375384855_thumb.jp

Different from all the blue earlier:

post-5283-0-98290400-1375384964_thumb.jp

Posted

Does anyone know why the highest temperatures always seam to be registered at Heathrow this Summer,(34.1 today for example) is it the heat of the tarmac of the runway getting to the thermometer lol.

Posted

Interesting point there as I would presume also that the concrete may have some effect on the temperatures, anyone have any pictures of where these are located at the airports.  Our Bedford site is out of town and surrounded by grass so will never reach a max which is higher.

The Heathrow Met office site is located a couple of hundred metres from the northern runway, alongside the northern perimiter road. I can't find the link but it is visible on Google Earth. Given how flat and open that location is, I doubt it is unduly affected by the surroundings to be honest. The Northolt weather station is located in an equally open site, slightly more rural, and often records summer maximums close to those of Heathrow, but a few degrees lower in winter.

Posted

Im glad I kept the windows shut today. Its kept the temperature indoors at 23c, so wont be too hot for sleeping. I hope you people in the london area kept your windows shut or it will be like Miami beach in bed tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Absolutely clear blue skies here now. Just popped into the garden, and it feels as hot as it did the afternoon. Got a current temp of 29c, not sure how accurate that is.... Going to be a sticky night tonight 😞

Im glad I kept the windows shut today. Its kept the temperature indoors at 23c, so wont be too hot for sleeping. I hope you people in the london area kept your windows shut or it will be like Miami beach in bed tonight.

But without the awkward sand sticking to you 😄

Posted

Does anyone know why the highest temperatures always seam to be registered at Heathrow this Summer,(34.1 today for example) is it the heat of the tarmac of the runway getting to the thermometer lol.

Wrong assumption there NP. Taking the official Met Office recordings from July 1st to July 31st 2013 Heathrow has recorded the highest UK temperature on just 8 of those days. The other 23 days were spread all around the country, and I do mean all around the country !!

From as far south as Bournemouth, to as far west as Porthmadog, to as far east as Norwich, and as far north as the Scottish ski resort of Aviemore.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Wrong assumption there NP. Taking the official Met Office recordings from July 1st to July 31st 2013 Heathrow has recorded the highest UK temperature on just 8 of those days. The other 23 days were spread all around the country, and I do mean all around the country !!

From as far south as Bournemouth, to as far west as Porthmadog, to as far east as Norwich, and as far north as the Scottish ski resort of Aviemore.

Yeah Norwich has taken most of the recent days, especially with south westerly winds, Norwich will almost certainly be top tomorrow for example.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

The neighbours' boy is playing football currently in his way too small garden. I guess his parents worry about his safety if he was to go and play in a way better area, 300 metres away.

Any potential kidnapper would likely have a major issue though, as he's pretty tall (nearly 6') and must be 13 / 14 stones. Posted Image

In the meantime I have to suffer the thump, thump, thump and I'm (very marginally) wishing for the Summer to go down the pan!Posted Image

Grumpy old git, signing off for the night!Posted Image

Posted

The neighbours' boy is playing football currently in his way too small garden. I guess his parents worry about his safety if he was to go and play in a way better area, 300 metres away.

Any potential kidnapper would likely have a major issue though, as he's pretty tall (nearly 6') and must be 13 / 14 stones. Posted Image

In the meantime I have to suffer the thump, thump, thump and I'm (very marginally) wishing for the Summer to go down the pan!Posted Image

Grumpy old git, signing off for the night!Posted Image

ExcellentPosted Image

Posted

Ok thanks for that  BB, obviously you have looked into the data, it just seams this year more than ever, the highest daytime temperatures in in the South, Seam to be at Heathrow. Is exposure a factor! ( Whatever happened to Cheltenham!)

Posted

Yea I remember that. August 12th I think. I was a 17 year old boy living in Hythe at the time. It was the most spectacular rain and lightning ive ever seen. It started about 8am which was strange, and lasted 4 hours. Even more strange was the fact it happened in a spell of quite chilly weather.

Spot on! I'd not long passed my test and was slightly nervy of all the manhole covers sitting on top of the water shooting out of the drains! Ended up with flooding in several places in town..shame the internet, mobile phones and upload capabilities we have now weren't available then as it would have been amazing to capture. Also a radar grab of what fell in those few hours!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, winter snow.

Just been out to give the tomatoes in the greenhouse their 50th watering today (OK, I exaggerate!), and it's still 27° outside. At gone 9 in the evening. Great going for Blighty!

Something tells me a good night's kip might be hard to come by tonight!

Posted

Yep, can't say I'm expecting a good nights sleep - currently 28c on the house thermometer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

We have 28.4C here damn! Its nice sitting down on the lake deck but when you walk closer to the house you can feel the heat building.Feels almost tropical out there not quite though, i have been to places where you couldn't even sit outside because you would sweat buckets and feel like you are breathing in kettle steam lol It just felt horrible though as its been quite pleasant recently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Phew. Hi all from the west London region. Flying ants having a field day here. Sat out for a meal, but had more protein than I bargained for.

Very humid.

Good evening all..

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Glad I wasn't at work today at Heathrow, as yet again it's come out the hottest place.

Had a nice day today down at the beach in Hythe in Kent with a cooling dip in the sea.

Some Ac cas bubbled up this evening here near Ashford, giving a few splashes of rain, but it's all rapidly cleared away north now. A breeze blowing through the open windows, but it's a warm and sultry breeze.

Posted

Spot on! I'd not long passed my test and was slightly nervy of all the manhole covers sitting on top of the water shooting out of the drains! Ended up with flooding in several places in town..shame the internet, mobile phones and upload capabilities we have now weren't available then as it would have been amazing to capture. Also a radar grab of what fell in those few hours!

I was crapping myself during my paper round. I didnt like and still dont like being out when theres big lightning.

Posted

lets have a look at tomorrow

heres the fax chart

Posted Image

trough crosses the south east around lunchtime

then the cold front crosses us in the afternoon

ukmo looks like this

8am

Posted Image

Posted Image

dry and with some decent uppers temps should get to around 27-28 degrees

now at 2pm

Posted Image

Posted Image

the trough crossing and the cold front incoming should set off some storms in the afternoon

later on

Posted Image

Posted Image

around 8pm rain could get quite heavy

the potential for storms still exist as cape should still be fairly high and also unstable air still present

should clear by around 3am

all we need tomorrow am is for the sun to really get those temps up early

fingers crossed

update the rest soon Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I'm going swimming in the Stour. A wild swim is just the ticket and the dogs can have a splash too, but I better get it in before any thunderstorms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I was crapping myself during my paper round. I didnt like and still dont like being out when theres big lightning.

You are quite right. Wear rubber-soled boots or shoes. Get under cover like a bus shelter, not a tree, and stay away from anything tall and pointy.

Posted

lets have a look at tomorrow

heres the fax chart

Posted Image

trough crosses the south east around lunchtime

then the cold front crosses us in the afternoon

ukmo looks like this

8am

Posted Image

Posted Image

dry and with some decent uppers temps should get to around 27-28 degrees

now at 2pm

Posted Image

Posted Image

the trough crossing and the cold front incoming should set off some storms in the afternoon

later on

Posted Image

Posted Image

around 8pm rain could get quite heavy

the potential for storms still exist as cape should still be fairly high and also unstable air still present

should clear by around 3am

all we need tomorrow am is for the sun to really get those temps up early

fingers crossed

update the rest soon Posted Image

The temps are far higher than they were supposed to be by now so we could get another quick boost in temps tomorrow morning so maybe the storms might be a little longer lasting over the london area with more lightning than the last two storms we had 

Posted

Posted Image

saturday

westerly flow and will be breezy

should be sunny but temps lower

around 22-24 Posted Image

chance of some showers to the north of london in the afternoon

Posted Image

sunday

a breezy south westerly flow

looks dry and sunny

temps around 22-24 again maybe some areas lower than that in any cloudcover