Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013/2014 Forecasts/Hopes/Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

Or why does a tax funded organisation not issue them anymore, we all know the weather is a fickle beast but if they are prepared to sell long range forecast to private businesses then surely they should be providing this free to their paymasters, you and I. Don't get me wrong I think the MetO are the best in the business at  7-10 day forecasting, but with all that alleged super computer power they surely can take a stab in the dark at least.

If they don't believe they have a reliable method - and they clearly  both don't believe it and don't have one, then you run the risk of making a wrong forecast and this being more costly than just assuming normal probabilities of climatology. Does anyone thing the contigency planner forecasts where they say there is a 5% chance more of cold , or hot or whatever is useful to planning? Is this really enough to change your plans on when they are planning for worst case scenarios anyway not on the average? Not to mention misreporting as tabloids treat a slight bias for cold as "Met forecasts mini ice age". Better to keep your mouth shut in my opinion.

Posted

If they don't believe they have a reliable method - and they clearly  both don't believe it and don't have one, then you run the risk of making a wrong forecast and this being more costly than just assuming normal probabilities of climatology. Does anyone thing the contigency planner forecasts where they say there is a 5% chance more of cold , or hot or whatever is useful to planning? Is this really enough to change your plans on when they are planning for worst case scenarios anyway not on the average? Not to mention misreporting as tabloids treat a slight bias for cold as "Met forecasts mini ice age". Better to keep your mouth shut in my opinion.

Not at all as it does what it says on the tin, forecast "not set in stone". They still provide them to business so why are the taxpayers exempt from this publicly funded service.

Posted

Not at all as it does what it says on the tin, forecast "not set in stone". They still provide them to business so why are the taxpayers exempt from this publicly funded service.

The taxpayers are getting forecasts all day, every day of the week - the business side of things is based on probabilities - how can it be any different at seasonal time span?. This summer is a good example of that; nearly all forecasts were for the lower end of the temperature spectrum.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

CFS is actually showing this for December...

post-10987-0-97831900-1379428243_thumb.p

Looks cold enough to my eyes

4 degrees below average in terms of 850s

post-10987-0-29976300-1379428407_thumb.p

Even more impressive when you look at the pressure anomalies from a NH perspective

post-10987-0-54318600-1379428845_thumb.p

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted

The taxpayers are getting forecasts all day, every day of the week - the business side of things is based on probabilities - how can it be any different at seasonal time span?. This summer is a good example of that; nearly all forecasts were for the lower end of the temperature spectrum.

So we should get a LRF also, remember without the taxpayer we wouldn't have thee best metrological service in the world. I use to look froward their LRF regardless of them being right or wrong, what they shouldn't be doing is issuing them to private business using the taxpayers monies.

Anyhow that's enough of that rant!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

CFS is actually showing this for December...

Posted Imagecfs dec1.png

Looks cold enough to my eyes

4 degrees below average in terms of 850s

Posted Imagedec850s.png

Even more impressive when you look at the pressure anomalies from a NH perspective

Posted ImageImpressive.png

Eases significantly for January

Posted Image

Bartlett high anyone?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

February

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Overall a fairly average winter still temperature wise

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Eases significantly for January

Posted Image

Bartlett high anyone?

February

There's no Bartlett suggested on those charts SS. For one there is ridging shown into the Arctic on that mslp chart for Jan- west coast of Canada into the pole. That would amplify the jet were it to occur. All of the 850 anomaly charts for the 3 months show average to below. In the politest possible way, your interpretations of these charts are wrong.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

There's no Bartlett suggested on those charts SS. For one there is ridging shown into the Arctic on that mslp chart for Jan- west coast of Canada into the pole. That would amplify the jet were it to occur. All of the 850 anomaly charts for the 3 months show average to below. In the politest possible way, your interpretations of these charts are wrong.

I could have sworn it was thanks for correcting me

Posted

This seems to be just a circular argument at the moment, as has already been covered - the CFS charts really have to be averaged, so taking 1 day's output (virtually every day) and arguing over the finer points of what it may or may not show does seem to be a fairly pointless exercise? Maybe it's best we move on...

• Like 4

Posted

This seems to be just a circular argument at the moment, as has already been covered - the CFS charts really have to be averaged, so taking 1 day's output (virtually every day) and arguing over the finer points of what it may or may not show does seem to be a fairly pointless exercise? Maybe it's best we move on...

I've tried (time and time again) to put that very point across Paul. It falls on deaf ears though and I have to witness the same ramblings about individual runs time and time again!

• Like 1

Posted

I've tried (time and time again) to put that very point across Paul. It falls on deaf ears though and I have to witness the same ramblings about individual runs time and time again!

I share your pain CC.Posted Image

Posted

2-3 days ago next week was looking pants, currently it looks great, but in a couple of days it could again look pants....if that doesn't indicate the folly of veiwing each and every CFS op for 3-5 months hence as gospel then what will? 

Edited by shedhead
  • Like 2

Posted

So why do the professionals ignore it? By all means, see how it compares to the other models' FI ranges? Not that they provide much of a benchmark, either?

Why are the LRFs, by those who claim to be able to 'read the CFS properly', no better than anyone-else's?

Pete, if it's so bad why would NOAA (who incidentally are professionals!) make it, and continue to develop it? On top of that, there are plenty of pro forecasters who use it as part of their armoury.

• Like 4

Posted

Pete, if it's so bad why would NOAA (who incidentally are professionals!) make it, and continue to develop it? On top of that, there are plenty of pro forecasters who use it as part of their armoury.

As CC and others have been saying ad infinitum, it has to be used correctly.

• Like 1

Posted

It is certainly used by the professionals across the Pond. The problem here is the way it is being presented by a few posters - reams of charts with comment that is rendered meaningless when the charts all update to the current set. It has no value to anyone looking back through the threads or for future evaluation.

Posted

So we should get a LRF also, remember without the taxpayer we wouldn't have thee best metrological service in the world. I use to look froward their LRF regardless of them being right or wrong, what they shouldn't be doing is issuing them to private business using the taxpayers monies.

Anyhow that's enough of that rant!!!

Not strictly true what you say as they are making money from the private business as their mandate from Parliament makes clear they have to. Most of the tax payers money in fact goes into the overall operational side, the major part of which is providing forecasts for MOD wherever they are tasked with operating, again by Parliament. There is of course the climatological side which is again funded by you and I.

Its some years since I ploughed through the Annual Report but all in the income is available to see and also what tax payers money goes where-terribly boring but it is available if you have the time and patience to want to read it all.

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 4

Posted

good post BFTV. this is the type of indicator people should be looking at at this range. drivers of weather patterns such as this, as they transition into their 'winter phase' will give a better idea of the type of winter we could have. as we discovered though, its not that simple. various combinations of these drivers can deliver similar weather patterns. a bit like having several jigsaws with the same picture but very different pieces.

as has been said. the CFS is a useful tool for looking for trends, along with many other factors. finer details on charts at this far out are irrelevant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Because it's the way forward...But, there's only one way to improve something, IMO; and that is through constant use, feedback and improvement - and objective verification. But, none of that demonstrates is usefulness at predicting weather-patterns 3,6, 9 months' down the line - at this point in time?

IMO, it is a - for want of a better word - prototype?Posted Image 

• Like 1

Posted

Because it's the way forward...But, there's only one way to improve something, IMO; and that is through constant use, feedback and improvement - and objective verification. But, none of that demonstrates is usefulness at predicting weather-patterns 3,6, 9 months' down the line - at this point in time?

IMO, it is a - for want of a better word - prototype?Posted Image 

Except it's not Pete Posted Image It's an operational model.

• Like 3

Posted

Except it's not Pete Posted Image It's an operational model.

But it has to be operational, paul, otherwise it would never get the necessary feedback - except behind closed doors...And that would spark all number of conspiracy theories?

As a matter of interest, however, are there any verification data available? The cherry-picked charts I've seen, up to now, just don't convince me that it is as good as some folks would have us believe...

I'm not being a 'denialist'; but until I see a quantifiable all-round improvement in LRFs, I will remain sceptical...Posted Image 

Posted

Haaa,joe bastardi!.He's actually done decent over the last few winters.

If you leave out the USA (2011-12) he has...Posted Image