Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013/2014 Forecasts/Hopes/Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich

Thanks for the information Tamara and Lorenzo.(And all the others)

I struggle to fully grasp what drives what in these situations.

I remember previous winters learning about El Nino / La Nina. Then trying to grasp AO / NAO.

Looks like there another topic I need to look at!

Weather is definitely a subject that you'll never run out of things to learn.

Edited by HomerJ
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

But remember: although the extreme warmth of mid-October 1978 was followed by a snowfest, the October snows of 1993 and 1974 were not...

• Like 1

Posted

i can guarantee that this winter will be much colder.

than summer........

• Like 8

Posted

But remember: although the extreme warmth of mid-October 1978 was followed by a snowfest, the October snows of 1993 and 1974 were not...

1993-94 wasn't too bad a winter if you like snow. I saw more snow during the week up to Christmas than I did the previous two winters combined.
  • Like 1

Posted

This could be pretty serious, CFS is showing some stonking stuff...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Serious stuff! I'm supprised there's no weather warnings issued 😆

I remember last year seeing the CFS plotted on a graph showing each daily run and a mean. we could use this to see any trends etc. does anyone know where to find this? It's pointless looking at the CFS every day when it will churn out huge inter run differences, it's only usefull of there's a solid trend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

1993-94 wasn't too bad a winter if you like snow. I saw more snow during the week up to Christmas than I did the previous two winters combined.

Undoubtedly good for you, but where I live we had no decent snow (anything that lasted more than a day) between 1992 and 2008. I was starting to wonder whether we'd see the like again. The last 5 years have been way better here.

Posted

This could be pretty serious, CFS is showing some stonking stuff...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Please can you give me the link to these charts, just dont seem to be able to find them! Thanks in advance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Underrated that one, a decent spell was threatened many times during that winter, we kept just getting inches / inch and halfs before finally a really potent spell arrived in feb, a good convective coupke of days on sun / mon before a front moved up from the south west and gave me a good 4 or 5 inches- brief milder spell then a reload the next sunday and a bit more fun as fronts attacked from the south west, finally late feb on a Friday the milder air broke through for good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Todays CFS is absolutely horrible! Brief toppler after brief toppler with the Zonal train running straight through the UK!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Todays CFS is absolutely horrible! Brief toppler after brief toppler with the Zonal train running straight through the UK!

CFS 9 monthly 12z and 18z are the best runs, the morning runs are far from detailed and seem to default zonal. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I have a feeling that these long range models will be taken notice of even more (inc GFS low res), not less and even more highs and lows will occur in the model thread this winter now that we don't have the calming influence of Stewart, at least until the strat thread becomes meaningful anyway, when it has cooled to its late Autumn temperature.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

So once again CFS points to nothing major temperature wise for winter getting a few runs showing this now

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

It is an average though so is never going to be seriously low. In one of those months you could easily see a freezing period which is cancelled out by a later milder period.

Also.............it is September! Many more runs to go.

Posted

So once again CFS points to nothing major temperature wise for winter getting a few runs showing this now

hmm. we are constantly told in the model thread to "ignore anything past t+144."

probably best not to take much notice of (at least) t+1800 hrs then......

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

As quickly as it has changed, it can change once again! ;)

Posted

I gave up, how many time have some us said that it's about trends not individual daily runs.Posted Image

Just the very things that the CFS rarely seems to have...Endless near-random switches, yes; but trends?

Posted

Just the very things that the CFS rarely seems to have...Endless near-random switches, yes; but trends?

But it doesn't Pete  if used correctly, of course if you view individual runs as gospel then yes your right.

At this rate we may as well use the MetO fabled SST's in May, which burnt their fingers many, many times, hence why they can't be bothered with the long range stuff anymore despite all the monies they receive!

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer

Posted

But it doesn't Pete  if used correctly, of course if you view individual runs as gospel then yes your right.

At this rate we may as well use the MetO fabled SST's in May, which burnt their fingers many, many times, hence why they can't be bothered with the long range stuff anymore despite all the monies they receive!

So why do the professionals ignore it? By all means, see how it compares to the other models' FI ranges? Not that they provide much of a benchmark, either?

Why are the LRFs, by those who claim to be able to 'read the CFS properly', no better than anyone-else's?

Edited by A Boy Named Sue

Posted

So why do the professionals ignore it? By all means, see how it compares to the other models' FI ranges? Not that they provide much of a benchmark, either?

Why are the LRFs, by those who claim to be able to 'read the CFS properly', no better than anyone-else's?

Or why does a tax funded organisation not issue them anymore, we all know the weather is a fickle beast but if they are prepared to sell long range forecast to private businesses then surely they should be providing this free to their paymasters, you and I. Don't get me wrong I think the MetO are the best in the business at  7-10 day forecasting, but with all that alleged super computer power they surely can take a stab in the dark at least.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer