Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013/2014 Forecasts/Hopes/Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I wonder if we can beat that this coming winter, January 2014 coldest winter month in 100 years perhaps?

Loving the new DP SI. Would have been awesome to see a smiley face etched in the snow :p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

To add to crewe colds post regarding Dec 2010, no official figures but I can guarantee that it was not just sub zero in this neck of the woods like the CET zone but severely sub zero.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

i think gav was getting mixed up with dec 2011 which was 0.6 if i remember rightly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

Late Nov 2010 and late March 2013 have proven we can get early and late cold. Historically the most likely time for a big freeze and snow is Late Dec through to early Feb.

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Dec 2011 was about 5c

wasnt that for the whole of the winter tho infact i think it was 4.5 for winter 2011/12 certainly one to forget but the middle of feb for us in the north east had a weeks cold spell with lying snow 

Posted

wasnt that for the whole of the winter tho infact i think it was 4.5 for winter 2011/12 certainly one to forget but the middle of feb for us in the north east had a weeks cold spell with lying snow 

Don't know the exact figures but early feb 12 was the only potent cold spell in that entire winter, dec gave a few days of falling and lying snow here but it was brief PM incursions, on the whole it was significantly above average because of a ridiculously mild xmas period- about 15c here I think.

Posted

You mildies need to fatten up for winter, it's going to be a long hard cold one me thinks!Posted Image

Not like you to be so positive.

Posted

Don't know the exact figures but early feb 12 was the only potent cold spell in that entire winter, dec gave a few days of falling and lying snow here but it was brief PM incursions, on the whole it was significantly above average because of a ridiculously mild xmas period- about 15c here I think.

yeah there is nothing worse than a very mild xmas it just doesnt feel right, infact it ruins the day for me it doesnt have to have lying snow just be cold,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

yeah there is nothing worse than a very mild xmas it just doesnt feel right, infact it ruins the day for me it doesnt have to have lying snow just be cold,

Always liked this episode the cold and snow and cheer of xmas v reality (heavy rain / misery etc)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eleKBjraLMs

• Like 4

Posted

Whilst I don't like mild crap anytime, I almost feel a brutal 87 or 91 style easterly would be almost wasted at xmas, it wouldn't have that crippling effect, always used to pray for one in January, even the feb 1991 spell was a bit wasted because it was near to the school holidays, I hated school and always felt the time I needed a belting most was when we had just gone back, now I get the buzz from watching the news and seeing it all unfold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Always liked this episode the cold and snow and cheer of xmas v reality (heavy rain / misery etc)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eleKBjraLMs

Spent Christmas in Sydney once. Bizarre experience: there were shops open and everyone went down the beach in the afternoon.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Whilst I don't like mild crap anytime, I almost feel a brutal 87 or 91 style easterly would be almost wasted at xmas, it wouldn't have that crippling effect, always used to pray for one in January, even the feb 1991 spell was a bit wasted because it was near to the school holidays, I hated school and always felt the time I needed a belting most was when we had just gone back, now I get the buzz from watching the news and seeing it all unfold.

I certainly wouldnt say wasted,0pposite infact, would be fantastic at Xmas, for my area anyway, warm north sea creating lots of convection, and a white Xmas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Spent Christmas in Sydney once. Bizarre experience: there were shops open and everyone went down the beach in the afternoon.

Now that's my idea of a fun Christmas!

• Like 2

Posted

I can understand people wanting mild weather for a number of reasons. However, in winter "mild" is nearly always accompanied by rain and cloud, which I could happily do without. I think people looking for consistent mildness are essentially asking for a 6 month Autumn - without all the pretty colours.That I find odd, but each to their own and all that!

• Like 6

Posted

Spent Christmas in Shirley once, strange girl.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

When I was at school in the late 70s and up to mid 80s I remember being off school because of snow on a number of my birthdays when we would go sledging ....the 3rd week of january

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Ive spent Christmas in Lapland Finland, Inwhich was great but what was Bizarre everywhere was shut on Christmas Eve and open on Christmas Day ?

They celebrate Christmas Day on Christmas Eve !... Anyway woke up on Christmas Day and temps were -33 Just brill Posted Image  Always one to remember.

• Like 1

Posted

When I was at school in the late 70s and up to mid 80s I remember being off school because of snow on a number of my birthdays when we would go sledging ....the 3rd week of January

Almost every year we had school shut up until 88-89, then the only ones after that were Dec 90 and feb 91,

88-89, 89-90, 91-92 and 92-93 were all garbage.

Posted

I certainly wouldnt say wasted,0pposite infact, would be fantastic at Xmas, for my area anyway, warm north sea creating lots of convection, and a white Xmas

Yes, im not talking synoptically, wanting snow at xmas is something everyone says but I don't think people think it through though, most people in Britain, particularly nowadays, work to live rather than live to work, and so snow might get them a welcome relief from the 'January blues', wheras at xmas it can ruin family plans etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Yes, im not talking synoptically, wanting snow at xmas is something everyone says but I don't think people think it through though, most people in Britain, particularly nowadays, work to live rather than live to work, and so snow might get them a welcome relief from the 'January blues', wheras at xmas it can ruin family plans etc

Not if it falls before Christmas itself. I don't like the Met's definition of a white Christmas - if there is snow on the ground, it's a white Christmas. Certainly looks more white than wet snow that doesn't settle.