Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 06/09/13 ------------>

Methuselah

Posted

Hmmmmm... Next time that won't be a good enough excuse Posted Image

:doh: 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Morning all. :)

A nice sunny start here too, unusually.

Having said that, yesterday started nice and sunny, for an hour after sunrise.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Rather chilly for the time of year these next few days, today we are looking at 14-15C max in London and the SE - which is some 4-5 degrees below average.

But the charts are hinting at it warming up this weekend as high pressure builds and heights rise - GFS hinting at max temps of 20-21C on Sunday. Personally think it's too early for such cold weather - so welcome a return to warmer weather.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 6

Posted

Chillier than expected this morning, which led to my son moaning that I hadn't put his winter coat on him... can't quite bring myself to get out the winter-wear yet, especially if the end of the week is due to give us a warm-up. Rose from 8 degrees to 10 driving from Surbiton to Uxbridge with clear blue skies that are now sharing 50/50 with the cloud. Brand-new students all over campus today looking lost; you've got to feel for them and their families, and hope it goes well for them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Morning

Cool and breezy day here, only just reached 10.5oC in the shed, was cosy under the duvet though, luckily I have an extra day off (TOIL as I work this weekend) so I got an extra hour in, only got up when I realised I had not put the bin out last night (opps).

Posted

only just reached 10.5oC in the shed, was cosy under the duvet though

Morning, what have you done wrong to be sent to the shed overnight then?

can't quite bring myself to get out the winter-wear yet, especially if the end of the week is due to give us a warm-up. 

Resist the urge, hang on to the Summer!! :lol:

• Like 2

Posted

Morning, what have you done wrong to be sent to the shed overnight then?

lol, the joy of being single means I am never wrong :p

and you will *never* catch me in the shed, place is full of spiders ....{shivers}...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Pleased to see the grass turning green again, now we have something more unsettled. lovely fine morning today, anyways.Posted Image 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Good morning.

Not in a good mood today, found out the hard way that the government doesn't help you find work, just tries to find ways to screw you over. Oh well another step to becoming flat broke :(

Bright and breezy morning here

• Like 1

Posted

Good morning.

Not in a good mood today, found out the hard way that the government doesn't help you find work, just tries to find ways to screw you over. Oh well another step to becoming flat broke Posted Image

Tell me about it!

Posted

Good morning.

Not in a good mood today, found out the hard way that the government doesn't help you find work, just tries to find ways to screw you over. Oh well another step to becoming flat broke Posted Image

Aye, when I was out of work for 9 months the only benefit I could get after JSA (which ran out after 6 months) was £6 a month HB, like that was helpful, as it was taken off the council tax, and when I finally got work they took it back by increasing the tax payments for the remainder of the year!

Posted

I predict a riot......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Aye, when I was out of work for 9 months the only benefit I could get after JSA (which ran out after 6 months) was £6 a month HB, like that was helpful, as it was taken off the council tax, and when I finally got work they took it back by increasing the tax payments for the remainder of the year!

Sigh I've been out of work for just over a year after I graduated from university. You would think that having a degree in chemistry would be a good thing.....

I'm just fed up of it all, apply for dozens of jobs around this area and in the field I'm looking to go into but yet they still try and find ways to screw me over.

Posted

Sigh I've been out of work for just over a year after I graduated from university. You would think that having a degree in chemistry would be a good thing.....

I'm just fed up of it all, apply for dozens of jobs around this area and in the field I'm looking to go into but yet they still try and find ways to screw me over.

So the piqued your interest in science with old 'we need more scientists' rhetoric too, then? I got turned-down for a job, on the grounds that my education would give me an ability to ask too many questions...Says a lot about the why our country is going down the toilet, if you ask me...ours is not to...blah blah blah?

Posted

Are you looking to re-locate for work?

Cambs might be a good area, also Unilever in North Bedfordshire may be recruiting?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I'm guessing that you're still young, having recently left university.

Could you try to get something else in the meantime, with a view of getting into your chosen career a little way down the line? You should still have plenty of time, even if it might not feel like it.

Unfortunately some potential employers will look at your c.v. and seeing the greater than 1 year gap of being unemployed, will not even progress you to the next recruitment stage, without some explanation on your part.

I guess Great Yarmouth, like many seaside towns (Clacton near to myself has the same issue) is possibly not the greatest place for employment though?

Anyway and it goes without saying, good luck with your search. :)

Posted

Are you looking to re-locate for work?

Cambs might be a good area, also Unilever in North Bedfordshire may be recruiting?

I have been looking across the UK, I had a few interviews down in Didcot a couple of weeks back but no joy in the end, but might look up Unilever anyway thanks Posted Image

@Steve C, I am looking for anything around the Great Yarmouth/Lowestoft/Norwich area but I rarely get even a response off employers, I had an interview at a call centre just over a week ago. That didn't go well, I'm not good at cold calling people. Thanks :)

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

cheers everyone, well this last half a page has provided more help than pretty much the jobcentre have ever given me. There is a graduate programme in R&D which I will apply for from Unilever which I shall complete after I get a sanction appeal form from the jobcentre which means braving the cold autumnal wind :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Good morning.

I could have told you that. One of my sons had exactly the same problem.They are not interested in finding work for anyone. Those jobs that they insist you look at on their PC's when phoned have usually gone soem weeks previously!

By the way I am travelling up through the TOD on Friday for a long weekend at Pinewoods Caravan Park at Wells Next Sea. We always travel on a lovely route from Chelmo up to Braintree, across to Halstead/Subury/ Bury St Edmunds/ Thetford Forest and Swatham. Are we likely to encounter any interesting weather?

Kind Regards

Dave

Edited by claret047

Posted

cheers everyone, well this last half a page has provided more help than pretty much the jobcentre have ever given me. There is a graduate programme in R&D which I will apply for from Unilever which I shall complete after I get a sanction appeal form from the jobcentre which means braving the cold autumnal wind Posted Image

I used to work there myself and know a few peeps still in there, so may be able to put in a good word for you.

• Like 1

Posted

I used to work there myself and know a few peeps still in there, so may be able to put in a good word for you.

That would be awesome, thanks :)

Posted

That would be awesome, thanks Posted Image

I will make no promises, but I will do what I can do for youPosted Image

• Like 1