Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Autumn Regional Discussion 28/10/13 -------->

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Very windy here this evening, my site seems exposed to the northerly gusts of 44mph - second highest since the anemometer went on the roof this Summer.

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 1

Posted

What's that? Streamer from the NE? It's properly cold out there. Someone at altitude in the Eastern valleys is going to get something white out of this, surely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Sleety rain here in Cardiff, more PPN coming my way, I think I might stay up to see it pass then im off to bed!

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

Posted

A winter like 1995/96 would be good to see again,just the right balance....nothing too extreme like in recent winters.....

Yes i dont want this winter to be to harsh because the NHS at breaking point and Fuel companies raising fuel prices ,only the poor and the old will suffer ,with the question they ask themselves do i feed myself or do i turn the fire on?

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 1

Posted

GFS ensembles this morning hint at some cold potential in early December:

Posted Image

In fact GFS operational FI this morning looks pretty decent with heights across the western side of the pole and the core of the PV squished out towards Siberia.

I'm not generally for FI straw-clutching but it's the best there is from a snow-loving perspective at the moment, no prospect of the white stuff in the next 10 days or so for us :-(

Posted

Cold one min -7.3c

Colder than any official UK station:

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynext?lang=en&state=United+K&rank=100&ano=2013&mes=11&day=23&hora=12&Send=send

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

My partner had a weather warning sent to her work from Caerphilly County Council last week warning them that 100 days of winter was coming, they should be prepared to take action and be ready for enforced closures as the snow could be awful this winter.........................now that's what I call covering yourself in advance!!!!!

Posted

Hmm if local Councils are peddling that tripe then there is not much hope for us

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 2

Posted

weather very quiet right now - just cold/frosty nights and cool sunnyish days - meto going for a return to zonal - but possibly models hint at further cold/snow potential 1st/3rd December onwards - for now though - a fairly benign spell of weather! - certainly none of the "100 days of snow and blizzards" in any outlook right now - but of course - it could all change very very quickly!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

Hmm if local Councils are peddling that tripe then there is not much hope for us

My thoughts exactly. I do not see why they need to issue such rubbish, i guess it's just something they do in the very very small chance we do have a extremely snowy winter or they had been reading the daily mail/express and jumped on the bandwagon!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

or they had been reading the daily mail/express and jumped on the bandwagon!

Sadly that sounds like where it is from. You'd think they'd have checked it out first wouldn't you.

Posted

My thoughts exactly. I do not see why they need to issue such rubbish, i guess it's just something they do in the very very small chance we do have a extremely snowy winter or they had been reading the daily mail/express and jumped on the bandwagon!

That"s why the met office have given up long range forecasts because they are rubbish ,You can try to look at trends the effect of solar cycle 24 with so little activity a.t.m the effect of this is due to hit northern hemisphere around the end of December so in theory January should be very cold, we shall see.

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

My partner had a weather warning sent to her work from Caerphilly County Council last week warning them that 100 days of winter was coming, they should be prepared to take action and be ready for enforced closures as the snow could be awful this winter.........................now that's what I call covering yourself in advance!!!!!

Well there's 90 days of winter coming so they're almost right in the first part...

• Like 2

Posted

A brief N Westerly across the UK Friday-Saturday before HP builds back from the West

with wintry showers possible Posted Image

Edited by keithlucky

That North Westerly is considerably less potent than the last one.

Someone in work mentioned this today, I pointed out that Mr Madden says the same every year.

• Like 1

Posted

The Met Office are going for a colder December and temps below average for winter as a whole.

We'll see...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Models forum going loopy over deep FI charts. Got to love the maschocistic nature of it all. Very entertaining.

• Like 1

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=winter-forecast-2013;sess=

The official NW forecast is out for this winter

In Summary

However, the forecast headlines are:

• Average to slightly colder than average temperatures.
  • Drier than average - notably December.
  • Weak high pressure anomaly, especially towards the north of the UK as the jet stream is deflected south.
  • Main risk of significant cold later in winter, but this is considered low risk presently.
  • Possible cold start to winter.
  • Like 1

Posted

Models forum going loopy over deep FI charts. Got to love the maschocistic nature of it all. Very entertaining.

Yes let the fun begin! a lot of head banging over the coming week will there be blizzards come Friday with a strong northerly flow will it still be there next Friday, will there be  a a few jumping over cliffs when it may not occur ,and how many OMGS will occur over the coming week!

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 2

Yes let the fun begin! a lot of head banging over the coming week will there be blizzards come Friday with a strong northerly flow will it still be there next Friday, will there be  a a few jumping over cliffs when it may not occur ,and how many OMGS will occur over the coming week!

My guess 250, is there a prize. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

here we go again - the artic returns - next friday - just outside the reliable!

Posted Image

Saturday aswell

Posted Image

Posted Image

major push of cold artic air on the gfs 12z - at the moment 2 - 3 days of cold - could extend further though!

Edited by andymusic