Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18th Nov.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Does anyone know if the models take account of the amount of Northern European snowcover? If I remember correctly (chio?), isn't extensive snowcover thought to feed back all the way up into the stratosphere?

Edited by A Boy Named Sue
  • Like 2

Posted

The 12z GFS run does not let the atlantic get aboard at all and builds the mid Atlantic high nicely in FI.

I know its FI but it may well be the start of a trend. Fingers crossed Posted Image

I feel that most good cold spells are first picked up on by GFS T300+. If a trend is shown several times (and I stress, several) in this time range, I take note. Strangely I think they then get dropped somewhere before T192 but then reappear a bit nearer to the event. Of course it's no guarantee but I'm sure it's often happened.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

The weak signal for a mid Atlantic ridge to form ushering in colder air early December just about visible at the end of the ensemble graph

Disclaimer:

To view product as advised rose tinted spectacles are required - spectacles not included

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&x=256&y=53

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

Agreed,

People talk about wanting the HP thats due for the nearly next 2 weeks to be over sooner and to let the Atlantic back in. .... And then to have a new shot at some "snowy potential".

I, for one, am quite happy that the HP is due to sit around for a while. I think it has a better chance for some very cold weather compared to letting the "westerlies" getting going. Of course it could go the "Bartlet" way. But hey, I prefer to gamble on this one.

Edited by John Cox
  • Like 2

Posted

I feel that most good cold spells are first picked up on by GFS T300+. If a trend is shown several times (and I stress, several) in this time range, I take note. Strangely I think they then get dropped somewhere before T192 but then reappear a bit nearer to the event. Of course it's no guarantee but I'm sure it's often happened.

The idea of an Atlantic ridge was picked up quite far out in FI. This isn't quite what we ended up getting, but it's still not a bad effort from 324 hours out.

12Z GFS from 12 days ago :

Posted Image

Today :

Posted Image

Posted

Agreed,

People talk about wanting the HP thats due for the nearly next 2 weeks to be over sooner and to let the Atlantic back in. .... And then to have a new shot at some "snowy potential".

I, for one, am quite happy that the HP is due to sit around for a while. I think it has a better chance for some very cold weather compared to letting the "westerlies" getting going. Of course it could go the "Bartlet" way. But hey, I prefer to gamble on this one.

Yes John, when people talk of a reset ie to zonality they need to be careful what they wish for as such set-ups can last weeks and months.

• Like 9

Posted

hmmmm -  a quick look at the NH plots of the GEFS through week 2 reveals there isnt much appetite for a raging trop p/v. infact the majority of the members are amplified and most split or displace the p/v convincingly. remember that it was the gefs a couple of weeks ago that first spotted the current period of amplification. it may have become a damp squib as far as we are concerned (the shortwave 150 miles west or east and we'd likely be snowcovered now), but the states and eastern europe will not be saying that by this time next week.

Posted

Does anyone know if the models take account of the amount of Northern European snowcover? If I remember correctly (chio?), isn't extensive snowcover thought to feed back all the way up into the stratosphere?

Yes, they will take it into account. They try to get the initial conditions as good as possible; a lot of effort goes into that.

Not sure if the stratospheric response occurs on a timescale small enough to become apparent to most models though. 

Posted

Quite a significant difference from today's ECMWF 96hr chart to yesterday's 120hrs, if youre in parts of Germany/Denmark etc..

I think a small trend tonight and would not be surprised to see some cold upper filter into parts of eastern England by T0

All we need is for a big surprise Azores Low to pop up :D

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Matty M
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I can certainly see the potential for a split in the PV later on, from where I'm sitting, any attempt of the Atlantic moving back in will potentially displace that vortex and allow a link between a developing Greenland High and a mid-Atlantic block. However it depends whether the low west of Greenland is hot on it's tail, as to whether it becomes a sustained block or a toppler. 

That said I don't foresee any great Atlantic resurgence, but that little bit of attempted resurgence might be the ticket to the split many have been expecting in the last few weeks.

• Like 2

Posted

If high pressure is to hang around then from a cold perspective even if you can't get an easterly you'd want the centre to be to the east of the UK to pull up a more se flow which would likely be clearer and still bring some nice sunshine and frosty nights. If the high edges too far west you could get a lot of cloud being pulled into the circulation.

Regarding any possible reset for those wanting a fresh start so to speak as Ian B mentioned this often ends in tears. Generally these set ups go one of two ways either the high hangs around and the upstream pattern becomes more favourable so you get some retrogression or the PV forces it south and you end up with a zonal mild sw flow.

Posted

Quite a significant difference from today's ECMWF 96hr chart to yesterday's 120hrs, if youre in parts of Germany/Denmark etc..

I think a small trend tonight and would not be surprised to see some cold upper filter into parts of eastern England by T0

All we need is for a big surprise Azores Low to pop up :D

Posted ImagePosted Image

thats a massive shift west and south in cold uppers and that at a relatively short time frame.the gfs has pushed the cold uppers West aswell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

you can almost touch that cold air although some of the other models are close to the ecm but after lastweeks drama im going to suggest bin it but if its correct a little correction north and west could manage an easterly but ive seen enough times this could go drastically wrong.

Posted

The big three in almost complete agreement at 144hrs for the high.

Unbelievable!

It can only mean one thing, major changes are a foot! 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Matty M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

ECM maintains the pressure rise this evening

Posted ImagePosted Image

More a less in line with UKMO and GFS at t144 agreement at last!

Posted Image

ECM following its 00z run so far

Posted ImagePosted Image

Frost and freezing fog likely to become a hazard into next week

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1