Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 08/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Amazing, friends in Cyprus are posting pics on Facebook of thick, thick snow up in the mountains. SOOOOO jealous, by the time we get there after Christmas you can be sure it will all be gonePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I'm sure Coast has done this already...

Posted Imagelovejoy.jpg

I did spot it, but it was damned hard (with 10 X 50 binoculars!) Too much cirrus cloud, the great light polluter called Colchester to the west and the much waxing moon didn't help. Posted Image

I'm going to get up early tomorrow and try and get a better view, if it's clear. At least the Moon will have set. Posted Image

Can you give us the best time to go out tomorrow evening - assuming it's still there cometing - I'd love to see it and remember the one in the mid '90s which was really lit up with a beautiful tail just at sunset. I'd like to see another.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

I'm a bit angry about this snow on Christmas day thing. I put a bet on it a few years ago and yes there was a big pink blob over the MetO roof in London at about 5:15 am on Christmas morning (I sent them the radar image), but William Hill didn't pay out.

They're swindlers.

It's not just big pink blobs to use in evidence - it seems crazy that there can be snow on the ground on Christmas day, theoretically waist deep, yet if a single flake fails to fall it is deemed not to be a White Christmas. I know its nothing new to say this, and we all agree about it...but hey, I feel like having a grumpy old woman moment and saying it is STILL crazy! Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

HERE COME THE GEMINIDS: Earth is entering a stream of debris from rock comet 3200 Phaethon, source of the annual Geminid meteor shower. Forecasters expect the shower to peak on Dec. 13-14 with as many as 120 meteors per hour. Lunar interference will be a problem, as glare from the nearly-full Moon reduces the number of visible meteors 2- to 5-fold. You can listen to radar echoes from the Geminids, unaffected by moonlight, on Space Weather Radio. Also, tune into NASA's live web chat about the Geminids on Friday the 13th beginning at 11 pm EST.

http://spaceweather.com/

expect cloud friday night then Posted Image

also note on the link how many sunspots there are

good thing is they look like they are stable at presentPosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?x=320&y=152&run=12&runpara=0&col=1&type=1&ext=1

heres the gefs ensemble pressure charts

go on

admit it

who did it ?Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Wow, multi coloured spaghetti.

FI on the 15th then Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Nice. its interested me enough to look up some recipes online as to how to liven up the coffee, surprising how many different things you can add to it.

These are good .....post-10773-0-98766700-1386793369_thumb.jThey don't costa-lot-a either !

I'm a bit angry about this snow on Christmas day thing. I put a bet on it a few years ago and yes there was a big pink blob over the MetO roof in London at about 5:15 am on Christmas morning (I sent them the radar image), but William Hill didn't pay out.They're swindlers.

If it's any conciliation it didn't end well for the pink blob either .....post-10773-0-89128000-1386793579_thumb.j Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 6

Posted

Looking at some of the amazing photos taken this morning of the fog in London....

post-10773-0-54264500-1386795831_thumb.j

I can't help feeling the Daily Excess missed out on a ' killer mega fog ' scaremongering headline opportunity here - maybe they didn't see it coming !

post-10773-0-15798600-1386797012_thumb.j

post-10773-0-40049600-1386797054_thumb.j

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Looking at some of the amazing photos taken this morning of the fog in London....

Posted Imageimage.jpg

I can't help feeling the Daily Excess missed out on a ' killer mega fog ' scaremongering headline opportunity here - maybe they didn't see it coming !

I wonder if we will get snow that deep.....Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

that must be from the new

g f expreSS model Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 3

that must be from the new

g f expreSS model Posted ImagePosted Image

John, dare you post that on the model thread.

On a serious note there is writing to sell papers, however to write that article when I know lots of elderly people are reading that I think it's very wrong unless he has proof from the models it's going to be that bad.

• Like 6

Posted

hi chris

i am staying in here

its safer Posted Image

i agree the storys printed are to sell papers

do they care about the worry it may cause?

i doubt it

re storms

there is a chance as the jet drops south in about 10 days (  all assumption at present )

the low pressure systems in the atlantic will head further south

now there is a chance one may come through the uk

however the strength etc cannot be predicted at present as that is unknown

the only concern would be the azores high fighting against a southerly jet and storm incoming which could tighten the isobars right up

once the low goes through that should be our pattern changer

this is all guess work at present

to predict it properly now is what it is   a guess

• Like 2

Posted

CHRISTMAS FROM HELL

Depends who your spending it with I guess - I try to follow the instructions on the turkey and keep chilled post-10773-0-67263200-1386797993_thumb.j Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Depends who your spending it with I guess - I try to follow the instructions on the turkey and keep chilled

Posted Imageimage.jpg

P  ISSING myself laughing, Thats so funny MK, I would love to do that to the Xmas day Turkey and leave it there just before everyone else gets up, Hilarious, Do you know what "bugger" it. Its taking me so long to type this because i'm still laughing..Posted Image

Edited by Jason T
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Evening peeps

Took stock of the temp thingy and decided to go out and put the frost cover on the car windscreen, fog has gone (for now) but getting right nippy out there now.

And check out this place (http://www.waltham.ac.uk/), to think a decade ago I was installing all new extra networking in classrooms and it was a typical old style building then with classrooms and such as we all remember in the dim distant past (if you are 30 plus anyway)

Posted

just been out

cars are really iced up now

pavements are damp and some icy bits around but not too bad

would recommend if driving or walking tomorrow early give extra time to get there

its like a mist here at present which i assume has given the surfaces the damp

Posted

Amazing thick sparkly frost out there tonight, kept slipping on the pavements; dog trialled his 'winter coat'. All very festive:)

• Like 1

Posted

Evening all :)

According to the Danish Weather Service, London is -2c at present so a frost setting in but as others have said, the fog has cleared. I presume we have now imported some drier air from the Continent.

http://www.dmi.dk/vejr/

Great map for moving round Europe and looking at temps - London currently colder than most of northern and eastern Europe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Amazing, friends in Cyprus are posting pics on Facebook of thick, thick snow up in the mountains. SOOOOO jealous, by the time we get there after Christmas you can be sure it will all be gonePosted Image

Don't they have ski lifts in the Troodos Mountains? Hopefully you should see something. :)