Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion 16/12/2013 >

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Edit: @ edodfc I'm glad to hear you're making sure the kids get spoilt, my ex won't let me see mine over Xmas. Make the most of it Posted Image

Full sympathies… They need their dad, no matter what age or sex they are… hope next year is better!

• Like 3

Posted

Snow on the north face of the Pentland Hills - I'm guessing it's been there all morning but somehow I missed it on my first walk out today and only spotted it second time out!Nice and brisk - after several days of going out in only moleskins and light jumper, it's nice to be in sweater-dress over leggings and handknitted simmit with a good cosy handknitted cowl round my neck! Proper BMW-weather! :)(btw, my nice man is very tolerant and peaceful but there is one thing that he really can't stand - he's famed for his loathing of BMWs… ;) )

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

The latest Low has been unremarkable here in the east. A gust of 50mph at Leuchars in the early hours. As for the snow, it was a case of blink and you missed it. We have come a long way since the early 90's when these synoptic set-up's produced proper lying snow down to sea-level in the east.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Rain showers on and off so far today here.

Posted

I had written today's snow chances off, huge bonus now, it has clouded over and radar confirms we have incoming!!

Good! I've swapped my crossed-fingers-muttered-pleas-to-the-weather and am hoping you get the bestest snow in Scotland for Christmas now. And if it helps any, the similar situation in my wider family, the kids had quite a few years where their dad was painted as black as pitch, but some level of contact was kept up by the stubborn patient soul, and when they were old enough to make their own decisions, they both, separately and a year or so apart, decided to build a better relationship with their dad. One sees him a couple of times a week now, and the other half-lives with him, both now in their 20s… so fingers crossed and keep up the contact no matter how bitten your tongue gets! And fingers crossed for Kelso getting its deepest snow ever for Christmas for you!!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Dry and cloudy here in Perth today - though sleety first thing but now too warm for anything but rain.

Folks in Kingussie have reported they have over an inch on the ground, but in my mums words its lowgrade "slushy muck". Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Bleakmidwinter, I am deeply envious of anybody with a handknitted semmit.

• Like 2

Posted

Bleakmidwinter, I am deeply envious of anybody with a handknitted semmit.

Hmmm, well, you never know… if you keep being nice to me… :)I call it a semmit, but it's basically a snug-fit short-waist jumper without sleeves… aka slipover, tanktop, etc., etc… if you can knit and purl, it's dead easy to make, if you want the recipe. I knit in the round, but easy enough to make it in two flat bits. No fancy stuff, just ribbed waist, then knit, then cast off… 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

The big picture from the models again today is staying unsettled with wind, rain and snow at times. The specifics are unclear so there's almost no point in posting charts, although we could do with some slightly colder air in the mix. There's certainly nowt wrong with the weather pattern, it fits right into my hopes for the winter which I posted a few weeks ago. Unsettled December and then colder January & February. Fingers crossed the rest of my hopecasting comes off as wished for Posted Image

As for today, there's a cracking crop of showers out west, it's looking good the further north and west you are.

Edit: @ edodfc I'm glad to hear you're making sure the kids get spoilt, my ex won't let me see mine over Xmas. Make the most of it Posted Image

so sorry to hear that mate...i have a cousin in the same position and its awful.....I have been especially patient with the kids since watching children in need as that really struck it home that im lucky....... but if the 3yr old asks me one more time whens it gonna snow im gonna %^%^&^%&*&*$&$%^£ 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

....... but if the 3yr old asks me one more time whens it gonna snow im gonna %^%^&^%&*&*$&$%^£ 

Well Edo if I haven't warned ye again and again ...  the way you're going she will turn out to be a thirty-something posting on Weather Forums, now is that what ye want ...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!
Do I now need to post a chart to make sure the thread stays on topic?

We have THE BEST Mods. on the Kilted Thread Catch so life is the topic albeit we are all basically snowy weather nuts. Posted Image

I am worried about BUS I must say, he has just vanished.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Hmmm, well, you never know… if you keep being nice to me… Posted Image

I call it a semmit, but it's basically a snug-fit short-waist jumper without sleeves… aka slipover, tanktop, etc., etc… if you can knit and purl, it's dead easy to make, if you want the recipe. I knit in the round, but easy enough to make it in two flat bits. No fancy stuff, just ribbed waist, then knit, then cast off… 

right too far this time... we can talk animals and vasectomies and aall sorts but swapping knitting patterns....... cmon!!!! youve taken that too far!! ....

although if someone wants to knit me a doc mcstffin jumper for the wee lass that would be great ;)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Bleakmidwinter, it's ok pet thankyou anyway. I've knitted meself to a standstill on socks & gloves for the family - and the only wool I have in the hoose is shetland spindrift. If I knit a semmit in that stuff I'd go mad in minutes wi the itching! Posted Image

Still boring blue sky and 4C here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Surely this won't happen? Posted Image  

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Bleakmidwinter, it's ok pet thankyou anyway. I've knitted meself to a standstill on socks & gloves for the family - and the only wool I have in the hoose is shetland spindrift. If I knit a semmit in that stuff I'd go mad in minutes wi the itching! Posted Image

Still boring blue sky and 4C here.

I would just like to say at this point that my username was not chosen because it is a type of wool!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Sympathies from here too. I've seen it from different perspectives.

My brother has been separated then divorced for probably coming on for 10yrs now and in that time has never had his son on Xmas Day (at least not until very late on, or if he went to his ex's house for an hour), but has generally had him on Boxing Day. That, along with other 'incidents' is an obvious punishment/power thing his ex has played over the years. Overall he's had good access though and has a good relationship with my nephew. My brother admits the divorce was his fault but has paid way more in maintenance than the CSA would have required, on time every month without fail (except once I think when the ex was really playing silly games with access).

My wife is divorced. Her choice, and all pretty much done and dusted before we met. My older 2 kids were quite young when this happened and their dad has never been denied access. Over the last 12 or so years he's seen them less and less but does keep in touch by phone occasionally I think. In fact more often or not it's been me or the wife who delivered and picked up the kids when then went to visit him, or their gran (his mum). Her ex has always tried to pay as little as possible towards his kids, and despite my wife agreeing to less then CSA proposed, has frequently been in arrears. Last year he stopped paying altogether and she went back to the CSA. He claimed not to be earning enough, which CSA accepted, despite us knowing he'd not only just moved house but had changed his car. At that point any thought of us going out of our way to help the kids see him went out of the window. Sad thing is, as the kids have got older they've began to see it for themselves (we've never bad-mouthed their dad in front of the kids, never!). The eldest (18), his daughter, is quite scathing and sees right through his "if you need any money to help you through uni" offers. The younger of the two, his son (16), usually just goes quiet if the subject of his dad enters the conversation. As I said, sad really.

It may not be easy, but try to take the former rather than the later path.

Edit: Just to add something on topic, the traffic cams around Slochd, Drumochter, Grantown area are looking quite wintry.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 1

Posted

This is a report from someone living on the outskirts of Jerusalem re. the weekend's Winter storm:

"It is now official: where I've been living is the one place in Israel where we received the most snowfall.

Today, we were driving for the first time in a week; we just sat speechless in the car. The mountain we live on outside Jerusalem looks like a disaster area, like a tornado has hit, and not a blizzard. There are broken trees everywhere, roads are destroyed, I have not seen anything like this before.

When we got to the supermarket to do some shopping, it was closed due to extensive damage from all of the snow, so we had to go home without the items we needed. This included a critical item: food.

It will take some time to clean up all the mess, following what is being termed as the worst storm in 150 years inside Israel. However, the actual amount of snow we received was more than double of what fell inside Jerusalem."

Posted Image
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

To Newtonmore this morning 1st thing, snowed pretty much all the way down the A9 from above Inverness. Epic overtaking in the snow to get past the cluckclucksPosted Image . Must change my avatar name to Snowplough Posted Image  Work called off, couldn't see enough to do anything Posted Image . Heavy sleet in Inverness this afternoon, wet and windy and horrible cold Posted Image on the Black Isle. Winter is here again - briefly, by the looks of things.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Just had a wee rumble o' thunder there!

Posted

Bright blue skies, chilly SWly breeze, +3.6c/-1.5c.

Posted

Bright blue skies, chilly SWly breeze, +3.6c/-1.5c.

Interesting Hawesy +3.9C/+1.0C here inland.

Posted

The latest GFS has (wait for it...drum roll please before whispering it quietly) heights building into Greenland deep in FI Posted Image

Noooo????

Ooooh.

*bites tongue hard to avoid o'er-ramping* :D