Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion 16/12/2013 >

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Good to read about some snow at last, and some thunder / lightning going off.

Radar grab reflects the areas predicted by the Euro4 model currently receiving snowfall, accumulation chart out til midnight .Scattered sferics generated by the train of Cb's streaming in.

post-7292-0-32394400-1387439212_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-22816300-1387439213_thumb.gipost-7292-0-10912100-1387439266_thumb.pn

Next week and the Jet chart is still ramping away, with the upper low spewing out more systems.

post-7292-0-16844500-1387439532_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-97486800-1387439523_thumb.pn

On another note, teleconnections, read about this last night. 2013 sees first time ever AO postive has exceeded 4 in November and also December, let's hope there is a period later in Winter where it seeks to balance this out a little.

post-7292-0-08333700-1387439611_thumb.gi

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Must have been snow but only residual left on car now.Looks like rain and I am 400ft.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Highest gust achieved here was 39.4mph overnight. Currently calm with a temp of 2c/1.2c. I was up around 4.30am and was a heavy snow shower then but nothing lying at the moment. Will see what today brings.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Sleet here now, plenty of snow showers building to the west which is forecast for the next 2 days. Certainly feels alot cooler out there today, i slept through last night so no idea how strong the wind got..

Plenty of snow on the moutains on Nevis range, can just make it out now its getting light.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Clear blue skies here, no snow no rain no nowt! SO not fair.

• Like 1

Posted

The charts are still showing snow Christmas Eve and on the day.Now is the time BBC etc should be making there Xmas forecast.Should be interesting.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

The EURO4 did seem to stall the arrival of the cold air somewhat by placing the low that bit further south, however behind that squall line it does appear that DPs will lower somewhat and with intensity any rain will turn to snow away from the immediate coast as the day goes on.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning peeps! We have a hail shower here just now, temps got down to 2.8 last night. We were very fortunate that the wind really didn't pick up the way it was expected to, so no power cuts here. (0mph in South Uist last night...phew! Checking out other local weather sites in Skye, I think the strongest wind was 74mph in Elgol, other places averaging around 60 - 65 mph. So, can I put away my lanterns, batteries tea lights etc now? At least until Christmas Eve? Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Snowy scenes on Drumochter and Slochd cams amongst others.

Even a dusting at Soutra by the looks of it. Can stop on the way to work and collect some.

1.5 °C / DP = -0.3 °C here. Dry and breezy.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Sleety mix here now and the wind has picked up a bit. Very dark.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Wind has died right down after last night and didn't really get that bad, not as strong as the last storm. Cooler start to the day today with 2C in Kemnay at 8am and 2.7/-0.7C in Dyce at 9am. Since the bulk of the showers are coming in from the SW I don't expect too many to get through the Grampians. Having said that the rain radar shows some activity inbound and I can see the cloud appearing from the SW outside so we'll see...

• Like 1

Posted

Snow showers here starting to blow through in a biteing wind.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

I can confirm from the depths of the Borders that we have lovely blue skies and a cool breeze. I'm not suggesting that the breeze is wearing shades and a leather jacket.

lol.... I will raise you the fonz and give you jack nicholson levels of wind here...... cool to say the least

electric car built last night and hudl's fully installed with kids favourite shows and films....hope the kids appreciate the difficulties Santa has with pi55 poor instructions!! ... was 1.30 am till got to bed and the kids (2 of)  spent the night getting up and down so bit tired to say the least but ready for the festivities and weather watching...

bright skies here currently and breezy and only sleet so far to speak of

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

The big picture from the models again today is staying unsettled with wind, rain and snow at times. The specifics are unclear so there's almost no point in posting charts, although we could do with some slightly colder air in the mix.

That's similar to my assessment, some slightly colder looking uppers would make it quite interesting for us in Scotland. As usual though the model thread, although not as bad as it can be, still retains it's southerly IMBY bias and nothing short of promises of a 2 week arctic blast with mega blocking somewhere to the north will suffice for some.

Shower band I had hope for here earlier fizzled out just to the west so still maintaining a largely cloudless and dry morning so far. Not been out since early this morning but sure it will feel quite cold in the breeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

lol.... I will raise you the fonz and give you jack nicholson levels of wind here...... cool to say the least

electric car built last night and hudl's fully installed with kids favourite shows and films....hope the kids appreciate the difficulties Santa has with pi55 poor instructions!! ... was 1.30 am till got to bed and the kids (2 of)  spent the night getting up and down so bit tired to say the least but ready for the festivities and weather watching...

bright skies here currently and breezy and only sleet so far to speak of

Memories Edo, memories. As Catch says "enjoy" it while you can, they are grown up and gone in no time. The abba song "slipping through my fingers always gets me:

As far as the cauld, at +4.0C/+1.2C even sleet is pushing it here!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

I can confirm from the depths of the Borders that we have lovely blue skies and a cool breeze. I'm not suggesting that the breeze is wearing shades and a leather jacket.

The big picture from the models again today is staying unsettled with wind, rain and snow at times. The specifics are unclear so there's almost no point in posting charts, although we could do with some slightly colder air in the mix. There's certainly nowt wrong with the weather pattern, it fits right into my hopes for the winter which I posted a few weeks ago. Unsettled December and then colder January & February. Fingers crossed the rest of my hopecasting comes off as wished for Posted Image

As for today, there's a cracking crop of showers out west, it's looking good the further north and west you are.

Edit: @ edodfc I'm glad to hear you're making sure the kids get spoilt, my ex won't let me see mine over Xmas. Make the most of it Posted Image

I think if you and I lived in Fluffybottomshire in the far SE of England we'd be quite disappointed too. I feel for them, briefly Posted Image

Well at least you aren't letting life depress you Catch - you're a hoot!

• Like 4