Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion 16/12/2013 >

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Can anyone explain why the NW radar always asks me if I want to share my location, then when I answer yes, it zooms to Lairg? I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad, of all the godforsaken places to choose, wtf have I done to deserve this? Oh look the tosspot swear filter's still running, how fkn nice!!

Just seen on BBC Scotland news, south of Inverness on a9 and its snowy!!!

Yes it's been doing that all day. Good fun it was too!

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 3

Posted

Get your ramps out for a big Xmas Eve storm.

ECM & UKMO singing a Stormy Christmas Carol from the same hymnsheet at just +120hrs:

Posted Image19th Dec ECM +120hrs.gifPosted Image19th Dec UKMO 12z +120hrs.gif

A 940mb Xmas bomb!! Thats going to be an interesting night :-P
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Disappointed with no snow today.The uppers must be too warm.However if Xmas eve delivers the bomb then who cares.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Yeah, the skew-t shows a slight warm layer up to 900 hpa. Up to 950hpa would've been fine but this is just slightly too much for snowfall unfortunately:

Posted Image

Still potential inland and with elevation though this evening:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some decent accumulations possible too:

Posted Image

However, we do appear to have the same problem with the Euro4 in the sense that the DPs are either vastly underestimated or at such a poor resolution on the website that it distorts the picture (I think the latter to be honest since the locations under the values happen to be rather elevated so probably do have comfortably sub 0C dewpoints):

Posted Image

The next band coming in appears to have a bit more intensity and combined with the time of day this might kick temperatures down enough for some decent snowfall. In fact, the temperature has dropped from 2.9/0.9 to 2.4/0.5C since I got back to Fife. There's been snow on the Lomonds (although you'll already know that from Scotster) and it did snow here earlier but it didn't lie unfortunately.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Then what will he wear when his prostate trouble recurs?

Ah Hairy Celt some Tamsulosin and Finasteride will soon tame the old prostate trouble.

• Like 1

Posted

I have to say I'm fortunate in that the place I work allows me a great view of a large part of Glasgow. Today I've seen pretty much everything rattling through. Dazzling sunshine to near darkness, rain, sleet but mainly hail. I should really take more pictures.

OK, now I can go off topic. 6th installment of the alternative Xmas songs. Tonight we have 'Christmas (Baby Come Home)' by Death Cab For Cutie.

Enjoy!Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Get your ramps out for a big Xmas Eve storm.

ECM & UKMO singing a Stormy Christmas Carol from the same hymnsheet at just +120hrs:

Posted Image19th Dec ECM +120hrs.gifPosted Image19th Dec UKMO 12z +120hrs.gif

Wow.

Is that seriously saying 940?

Coo.

Posted

Some heavy rain earlier, but wind has now eased a wee bit and temps now approaching 0c.

A friend onroute up A9 earlier today

post-2849-0-73811100-1387491468_thumb.jp

And a wee poem to get that Xmas feeling going. Posted Image

post-2849-0-72821400-1387491469_thumb.jp

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Can anyone explain why the NW radar always asks me if I want to share my location, then when I answer yes, it zooms to Lairg? I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad, of all the godforsaken places to choose, wtf have I done to deserve this? Oh look the tosspot swear filter's still running, how fkn nice!!

Yes it's been doing that all day. Good fun it was too!

If the device you are using to access the radar is wireless then it because Google (or whoever) think that is where you are, but it's most likely that your location is being guessed based on the ISP you use and your IP address, for instance - when I am on a device with WiFi - it correctly locates me (within 10 metres) to my actual address in the Scottish Borders, however if I use a device that is connected by cable - so the only available location based information the device can use is my IP address - it "locates" me to St. Albans. (where Freedom2Surf used to live)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Rain showers all day here apart from a bit of a lull this afternoon. Bit disappointed as I thought they would have started to turn to snow by now. Not even been a sign of sleet yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Minimum overnight was +1.4C at 02.37 and currently +2.7C/+1.9C. 10.4mm of rain overnight - if only that had been snow! There must be a massive accumulation of snow above 300m.

• Like 1

Posted

Latest ESTOFEX forecast makes interesting reading for the region:

post-6667-0-01916900-1387524515_thumb.pn

Storm Forecast
Valid: Fri 20 Dec 2013 06:00 to Sat 21 Dec 2013 06:00 UTC
Issued: Thu 19 Dec 2013 23:22
Forecaster: PISTOTNIK
A level 1 and level 2 were issued for Ireland, parts of the UK and the North Sea for severe convective wind gusts.

SYNOPSIS and DISCUSSION

A series of progressive troughs and ridges travels eastward within a strong frontal zone over the Northern half of Europe. Two short-wave troughs and their attendant frontal systems move from the Baltic Sea into Russia and from the North Sea and France to the Baltic States and Belarus, respectively. Beneath the base of the second trough, cold upper levels and QG lift on the cyclonic side of the jet stream will allow scattered thundery showers over parts of the Norwegian and North Sea in the 06 to 12z time frame. Due to limited instability and temporarily weak vertical wind shear, severe weather is not expected.

Further West, the warm sector of an outstanding Atlantic cyclone will overspread the British Isles with plentiful rain and 850 hPa winds up to 40 m/s. Scattered to widespread severe wind gusts are expected in the warm sector, where the pressure gradient is strongest, as well as along and behind the cold front, which will swiftly cross Ireland and Scotland after 18 UTC before it will gradually decelerate over England and the North Sea. It will mark the transition from rain to showers and isolated thunderstorms, which can easily mix down 850 hPa winds which are still between 25 and 30 m/s in the postfrontal air mass. A level 1 was drawn for those areas where an involvement of deep convection in the gust generation is expected. The Scottish West coast and the Hebrides were upgraded to a level 2, since they are favourably placed in the left exit region of a very strong jet streak. Hence deeper and more widespread convection, possibly in form of an organized line along the cold front, with an even higher risk of severe wind gusts is anticipated.

Additional subordinate risks are localized flooding (the convective contribution to the high rainfall totals will be small, though) and a brief tornado along the cold front, which is preceded by a tongue of very moist air (2m dewpoints up to 10°C) and strong directional wind shear.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Minimum overnight was +1.4C at 02.37 and currently +2.7C/+1.9C. 10.4mm of rain overnight - if only that had been snow! There must be a massive accumulation of snow above 300m.

Morning Nothing but rain for me here also and I'm at about 280m. Hope we see some white stuff soon this pattern of wind & rain is getting boring now :( P.S anyone heard from BUS, kinda worrying the way he disappeared :(
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! So calm now after the past few days...but not for long, eh? Temp 4.3 with light rain, and snow on the hills. I'm too close to the sea for the snow to have any impact, but that may change in the run up to Christmas!

Posted

Cold  1.2c and clear this morning with a ground frost. Some really bright moonlit lights recently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Cold  1.2c and clear this morning with a ground frost. Some really bright moonlit lights recently.

A bit warmer here at 2-3C but despite wall to wall blue sky no frost.

I'm still looking at a very bright moon low in the sky off to my WNW out of the office window. Jupiter has also been quite bright the last couple of mornings and my 6yr old was quite impressed when I told him it was one of the planets. 101 questions about it this morning, mainly around what colour it is. Oh and apparently "the red planet used to be a star in dinosaur times" according to one of the girls in his class.

My parents have been warned to keep an eye on the weather forecast as they are due to travel up on Xmas Eve. If that storm comes off then traveling that day could be rather chaotic, especially if the bridges close, so they might be better coming a day early.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 1

Posted

Frost really came in with daylight with ice forming readily on puddles. Have to be careful the grumpy old farmer does not slip this morning. A gradual cool down seems to be occuring in between the milder interludes at least here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

An icy morning here with the odd sleet shower, looks like Nevis range did well last night with heavy snow and blizzards. A breif lull this morning befor more wind and rain sweeps in from the West again around mid-day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

An icy morning here with the odd sleet shower, looks like Nevis range did well last night with heavy snow and blizzards. A breif lull this morning befor more wind and rain sweeps in from the West again around mid-day.

Posted Image don't remind me, it's my christmas night out tonight not looking forward to being blown about and soaked, I want some Snow Posted Image Edited by Allyw12
  • Like 5

Posted

I was surprised there was no snow overnight. Even coming through the campsies were back to green. We have our xmas night in Glasgow and notlooking forward to the rain. On a brighter note Santa shaker went from 30% to 50% for Scotland!

• Like 3

Posted

Mostly cloudy, 7c/3c. 

Still no air frost recorded at Glasgow Bishopton or Edinburgh Gogarbank this month: http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/CURR.html