Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

Couple of points from 00Zs:

1. Uppers not quite as important when the feed is off the continent (though snow cover over low countries would be handy)

2. Small changes to model output will decide whether it snows or not in any location. While the charts look like they do this morning, no-one (north or south) will have any great confidence in whether they will see snow or not until T72. Quite frankly, at the moment it doesn't really matter whether the charts say snow over your house or 300 miles away - they will probably show something different tomorrow!

• Like 2

Posted

Couple of points from 00Zs:

1. Uppers not quite as important when the feed is off the continent (though snow cover over low countries would be handy)

2. Small changes to model output will decide whether it snows or not in any location. While the charts look like they do this morning, no-one (north or south) will have any great confidence in whether they will see snow or not until T72. Quite frankly, at the moment it doesn't really matter whether the charts say snow over your house or 300 miles away - they will probably show something different tomorrow!

More like in another 90 mins...Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Well we are starting to see a familiar story this morning, some great runs at days 5,6,7 then the tweaking and the fine tuning start to kick in and all off a sudden things don’t look as good as they did, it all starts to get a bit jam tomorrowish. We need to get the Stella charts into the 72hr range where the tweaks are small. What we have now is a slower evolution, however, the charts for days 7,8,9 are all also going to get tweaked considerably, so I wouldn’t bet on the idea that it’s just a case of waiting a bit longer and that a full blown easterly is still in the bag but just not as quickly.

Having said all that the GEM is still good this morning and we still have time for the GFS and ECM to make a correction back towards the kind of charts we saw yesterday morning and it could be argued that the models have just reverted back to a slower evolution, so we just got a bit spoiled yesterday, let’s hope so.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The control for the ECM appears to have flipped on this morning's run with regard to an early easterly. Last night:  post-14819-0-40418400-1389254805_thumb.g

Changes for this morning compared to last night (change in temp): T162:  post-14819-0-07202600-1389255271_thumb.p

It and the op IMO seemed to be too progressive with the pattern change and this morning's op to me looks more like many of the GEFS from yesterday.

The change in the mean from last night compared to the 0z is a good trend: T192:  post-14819-0-79328500-1389255172_thumb.p

So cooler-colder weather is on the way, but still much to be decided with regard to surface conditions UK wide.

post-14819-0-07029600-1389254837_thumb.p

post-14819-0-30186300-1389255031_thumb.p

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 4

Posted

Can I ask, I see quite a lot of people showing the GEM model over the past few days. Whereas only a month ago it was ECM, GFS and MET that people looked at. Has the GEM become a lot better recently or is it just showing what people want to see? Serious question.

• Like 2

Would definitely agree here Kriss. The overall pattern hasn't changed - over than normal variations expected. I'm just happy to see the Atlantic stop for a week or too and hopefully whilst it does, we see further attacks on the vortex.

Agreed C- the trouble is the changes (subtle or not)are moving in the wrong direction for cold and are currently making the all the difference between a wet landscape and a white landscape.At this distance it will no doubt change again but members commenting on the current output is fine,surely.

Hopefully more swings in the cold direction will be forthcoming..:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

has anyone else noticed the issue with the 00z ensembles (GFS), certainly the operational doesn't tie in?

post-4955-0-79014500-1389255609_thumb.pn

post-4955-0-93626000-1389255625_thumb.pn

Posted

Can I ask, I see quite a lot of people showing the GEM model over the past few days. Whereas only a month ago it was ECM, GFS and MET that people looked at. Has the GEM become a lot better recently or is it just showing what people want to see? Serious question.

The GEM is a decent model and I’m sure Steve can point you at some excellent verification stats, however, yes of course people are going to post up GEM charts when it is showing the best evolution, who can blame them.

Posted

I think it's a bit of both to be honest, but to my mind the GEM is not consistently good enough despite appearing extremely good from time to time - the difficulty is picking out those 'extremerly good phases, which is one of the main reasons why I only give it a cursory glance each run.  

Edited by Paul
Removed pointless sarcasm
  • Like 1

Posted

can of worms!!you have a point, but lets wait until later before we deconstruct what the models are telling us. We will know more after the midday runs! But alarm bells should be a' ringin!

Posted

has anyone else noticed the issue with the 00z ensembles (GFS), certainly the operational doesn't tie in?

If you look closely at the Op line it splits into 2 at 00hrs on 15th.

Posted Image

Edited by shedhead

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Well how would I describe this mornings runs -

Lets hope we dont end up with co ops own champagne-

no sparkling blue nun pleasePosted Image deep blue coloured uk weather charts will do nicely

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

which model is that jason? Posted Image

NCEP-ENS-GLB

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Agreed C- the trouble is the changes (subtle or not)are moving in the wrong direction for cold and are currently making the all the difference between a wet landscape and a white landscape.At this distance it will no doubt change again but members commenting on the current output is fine,surely.

Hopefully more swings in the cold direction will be forthcoming..Posted Image

That's always the problem with whiteout runs. That then becomes the minimum expectation rather than a blend of all the output. Even some of us old timers on here forget that - I know that I always use the best run as the benchmark but at least I have learnt to temper any disappointment with realism.

• Like 6

Posted

Much better ecm mean this morning compared to the 12z!!colder air further south and West and snowline further south aswell compared to the op!!have a feeling we gona have an upgrade this evening!!

• Like 4

Posted

ECM op run was certainly on the mild side of the ensembles by a good 4c or more in most places. Potentially good news for later on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by The Eagle
  • Like 6

Posted

ECM 0z ensembles for Reading are underwhelming hand on heart.(They are actually  coldest sat/sun).They look coldish but certainly not showing any sort of Beasterly!http://oi40.tinypic.com/156fp93.jpg

As others have noted, meteociel shows the mean is far colder than the op. -4 uppers for most from next Wednesday until the Sunday.
  • Like 1