Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Given the synoptic set up, so long as you are under -1 850s you should see snow with winds coming off the continent and a low dew point. The perfect example of this was March last year!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

K'thom, the wetter London ens are for a grid point in the channel (no idea why it's not been fixed after all these years)As far as ECM is concerned - getting far too close for my liking to game over at day 4 as the Atlantic and scandi low heights almost phase together. This run would be a snow machine if we already had embedded cold and this was the Atlantic trying to get in. However, it looks like a snow on hills job and in the north of the UK away from coastal counties. Gem looks too clean in its solution for me, given the complex nature of ukmo and ECM. I'm afraid I doubt Exeter are going to jump to a wintry update this morning apart from stating the risks and the likelihood of upland snowfall. days 4, 5 and 6 are where we need to pin this down and that's where the ops just begin to lose their reliability in favour of the ens mean. The result of this being that the ens are unlikely to be in the right place at day 4 so their evolution through day 6 will not be accurate enough for us to see what's likely. The ops are clearly not going to give strong guidance at day 6. The trend is certainly away from a clean undercut but it could be that a messy one might just find us the right side of cold enough. Far too risky though!I'm ignoring the run post day 6 as there seems little point in concentrating on detail that far out when the initial phase could go very differently. I would draw your attention to the back end of the ECM run where a pulse of low heights drops in from the nw. That has been an extended ens theme on the anomolys and as I've stated before, if it the pattern is backed west far enough, that's a sustained cold pattern, even though it might not look so great on the height/anomolys/slp mean.

Hi BA, would you put up some UKMO output. I am not able to see this mornings output? Thanks

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

The theme is still there, and still many small details will change so i would't get to hung up on them,  especially past D5. 

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Some disappointment from the 00z runs - whilst we are looking at some of the best charts we've seen all winter it's much to early to be counting chickens before they have hatched, good post from Bluearmy a few back ^ to finely balanced to call either way, save yourself from shredded nerves! ATM I'm just looking forward to some frosts, not had one here since November!

More runs needed Posted Image

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm & Sunny

Out of all the output, I would only take the GEM this morning. I really hope we can correct this south west a bit. I have to be honest, screw the battleground for now as my goodness the prospects for the flooded regions in the south would be incredibly grim here. If it's the wrong side of marginal then there could be days upon days of rain here.

Appreciate you thinking of those of us underwater still. I hate being the Snow Grinch, but I'm really hoping it waits till things have dried up a bit. (Sorry Mods)

Posted

Well the ecm shows uppers below zero for most and with a continental flow am sure wherever the battle takes place across the uk it will fall as snow!!at the moment I say midlands northern England!!high chance the 12z this evening could correct south though!!

Well the ecm shows uppers below zero for most and with a continental flow am sure wherever the battle takes place across the uk it will fall as snow!!at the moment I say midlands northern England!!high chance the 12z this evening could correct south though!!

I hope so,still good for Scotland but those colder uppers really struggling to get in on the 0z runs.maybe the experts can shed more light on projected precip types,looks like mainly rain across much of the south as it stands?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Looking forward to those beefy snow showers steve mentioned earlierPosted Image

Low coming in Sunday night pushing into cold air.

Posted Image

• Like 7

Posted

Not surprised following the 12Z ECM ensembles. The more astute will have spotted lowly NAVGEM going exactly the same way last night with more trough disruption and just a little extra impetus in the jet stream enough to force the colder air northeastward. Potential is still high but there is no doubt about it things have slipped in the low res time frames. 

Will be hoping for better later on.

Edited by The Eagle
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Let the battle for middle earth commence. I think this is potentially going to become a very tricky period for forecasters early next week with knife-edge rain to wet snow catching people out and then cold air delivering the knock out blow and winning next week bringing real winter to the uk at flippin last!!!.Posted Image

Good post Frosty, Just pulled this from Twitter.Long way out but WOW. Hold on to your seats.

Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

This is as far as ECM goes

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014010900/ECH1-240.GIF?09-12

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014010900/ECH0-240.GIF?09-12

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014010900/ECM1-240.GIF?09-12 heights sliding south

A good winter chart especially so considering what we have endured so i am happy with the output.

• Like 3

Posted

Reading Lorenzo's update in the stratt thread, the Polar Vortex looks like it's going to get another rattle soon which is good news.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

This is as far as ECM goes

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014010900/ECH1-240.GIF?09-12

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014010900/ECH0-240.GIF?09-12

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014010900/ECM1-240.GIF?09-12 heights sliding south

A good winter chart especially so considering what we have endured so i am happy with the output.

The last time I was as happy as this with the models from a cold perspective was last march / aprilPosted Image winter is coming..bring on those beefy snow showers, thames streamers and severe frosts.Posted Image

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

As others have pointed out in last few days it may take more than 1 attempt before we get widespread cold in UK.The models don't seem quite as good to me as yesterday evening but there is still potential in the Longer Term.If I was a betting man, I would say Northern England Northwards will have cold enough temperatures for snow from Tuesday and as time goes by these temps will fall further South possibly by 20th.To me we need embedded cold for a few days and higher heights in Scandi.That's my take on things and more to do with years gone by as much as what models show.At least we are in the ball game from a cold perspective and amazing how things can change so quickly.This time last week there was a lot of despair in this forum.Now there is hope.Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

Good post Frosty, Just pulled this from Twitter.Long way out but WOW. Hold on to your seats.

Posted Image

15 days away, hmmm I'll eat my hat if that happens as shown. Models this morning have quite a big shift at day 10 let alone day 15.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

The 00Z GEM appears to continue to provide a 'first class' Easterly for the UK with some quite chilly 850 hPa temperatures thrown into the flow, while the Easterlies/South-Easterlies from the likes of the ECMWF look more like standard class and is indeed somewhat delayed.

Kinda hoping since the flow is still from the continent, that any possible snow from the likes of the ECMWF could still fall to some low levels, but it could be a bit on the tight side. Not a complete disaster for cold and snow fans this morning (especially with that encouraging GEM) and there's still enough room for the quality of some of these Easterly flows to improve. But it could just turn out to be one of those 'short term pain = long term gain' sort of scenarios. :)

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

I made the mistake of waking up and coming on here and twitter 1st before looking at model output myself, all still looking good for colder weather and prospects of snow for many next week.

This chart doesn't look too shabby Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Blizzardof82
  • Like 2

Posted

'It's all relative' seems the most apt term this morning, because whilst the overall sense of disappointment is understandable, I  don't think one of us would have refused the overnight runs this time last week. What we've seen slowly develop across the last 24hrs is nothing more than an adjustment to the original signal, the overall pattern going forward remains largely unchanged, but it does perfectly highlight just how the MO and this forurm handle potential cold spells post T +144hrs in diametrically opposing ways.

• Like 2