Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

All very knife-edge, but that's always been expected... could go either way, as per varied ENS outcomes.

Yep I have to agree this aint a done deal yet, lets all remain cautious until we have our easterly at T72

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Over a 1000 users now at the moment,where are thow

very cold temps in scandi,will they make it

12z@ 108hrspost-16960-0-62167900-1389218630_thumb.p18z@ 102hrspost-16960-0-97708800-1389218670_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Yes slap on the wrist for me, one frame and I overhyped expectations. Much more progressive 18z thus far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

I think it was always going to be fairly knife edge, and this chart is a very good one as far as I am concerned! In fact is shows that we can still get energy south-eastwards, even if the low is further north. However, not a done deal so let's hope this pattern is maintained/improved upon

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Could be much better long term actually. Look where centre of block is....forcing more disruption SE of lows rather than heading E or NE

Posted Image

And it stops attempted interference from Atlantic high at bay.....which is a plus.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

OK, may not be quite as good as earlier runs, but this is still far better than anything else this winter.  Could still get there in the end as well!?

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

I think it was always going to be fairly knife edge, and this chart is a very good one as far as I am concerned! In fact is shows that we can still get energy south-eastwards, even if the low is further north. However, not a done deal so let's hope this pattern is maintained/improved upon

Posted Image

Remember the bias of the runs.

0z likely to be closer to the mark.

Posted

Think this run looks more like the ECM than the GFS 12Z run is respect of any blocking, looks to have more potential too me, whether enough energy is sliding under the block to show an easterly flow remains to be seen but I do suspect as per usual with the GFS, it will all look rather messy and disorganised but the signs are increasing that we may tap into some of the colder air to the NE but still many more runs needed before the detail gets nailed down. 

• Like 1

Posted

High pressure much stronger and further into Greenland , sending the low pressures in a much better SE direction, will undercut the High much better on this run IMO. Also should drag Cold in earlier than the ECM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

I hope the pub run won't turn out to be late night horror ----  'Nightmare on Netweather Street' !

Posted Image

Nick Sussex must be a nervous wreck!

• Like 5

Posted

It will be interesting to see where that front is on the 96 hrs fax chart when it comes out shortly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: what's the bloody point when you live in Britain
+1

Also the alignment of the small scandi shortwave is as the ECM- funnelling cold SW as opposed to blocking it-

Upgrades........

The train is coming.- 90% but the 18z doesn't want it to leave the stn

S[

And according to Ian F, the train may never reach us, so best not to get excited yet.

If these runs are similar on Sunday I will be the first to welcome the train, but until then, I remain cautious.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

At 126 it looks very different from the 12Z http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1261.png!! The high is less robust and not as large but centred more toward Iceland Greenland. So am not sure which I prefer really haha over to the experts on that one

At 138 the high looks very weak http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1381.png! It looks like it could just dissolve into nothingness!!

Edited by Continental Climate
  • Like 1

Posted

At 126 it looks very different from the 12Z http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1261.png!! The high is less robust and not as large but centred more toward Iceland Greenland. So am not sure which I prefer really haha over to the experts on that one

I'll take the 18z please....copious amounts of snow somewhere with this collision

Posted Image

Weaker block, yes, but better placed and much more energy underneath across the pond

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Posted Image

Interesting this is, marginal snow event across the UK, look north, the high will move west and watch the low over Svalbard move south.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

So many frantic posts , I understand given the short wave drama I suppose !

One thing that strikes me today is the significant shift west with the what was scandi high , it's now Iceland , toward Greenland , but we know for long lasting trough disruption it's best to see a classic murr sausage !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

@At 144hrs...........

potential reload from the north

post-16960-0-66415000-1389219517_thumb.p

not there on the 12z @150

post-16960-0-39862900-1389219555_thumb.p

this could be good with the hights going into greenland(retogresion)Posted Image

EDIT:CS beat me to it

Edited by allseasons-si

Posted

Posted Image

Interesting this is, marginal snow event across the UK, look north, the high will move west and watch the low over Svalbard move south.

Yes! Less pressure on the block too with vortex energy draped around it rather than passing over the top of it....