Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 13th Feb onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

The GFS has been hinting an Easterly of sorts for some days now out in the run. ECMWF also has the same idea for a cool Easterly for the turn of the Month, UKMET is also showing the same general theme.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

the 6-10 NOAA last evening below, and 

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

and the EC-GFS version this morning, similar to last issue re +ve areas and ridging shown at 500mb below

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

the idea of a cut off upper low is much more in eveidence this morning, while the NOAA 6-10 last evevning was the first time it showed the model has shown quite the pattern it is showing.

For myself I would want consistency for 3 outputs on all 3 before I believe it totally. However there does seem some changing in the upper air pattern taking place, so watch this space perhaps?

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UKMO delaying a pressure rise to Thursday now

Posted Image

ECM still going for Wednesday however with an easterly feed possible some eastern parts could be stuck with a lot of cloud of the north sea and if and where any cloud does persist temperatures would struggle

Posted Image

Posted

post-7706-0-48602800-1395397487_thumb.pn

post-7706-0-70665200-1395397509_thumb.pn

Ensembles are looking a bit wet, especially the further north you are.

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

That really hot summer was 1976. We BBQ'd our evening meal after work every night for months.

Not the 26th August 1976 - the heavens opened and it absolutely pee'd down - this was just after the appointment of the most effective minister ever - 'The Minister of Droughts' :D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

That really hot summer was 1976. We BBQ'd our evening meal after work every night for months.

I'm so jealous I never got to witness it! My parents and Grandparents always tell me about how scorching it was! 

But I also got told the 1975 summer was a cracker and peculiar, i.e. the snow on 2nd `june, and then 27-28c very shortly afterwards, and many 30+c days that summer too.

• Like 5

Posted

Well the GFS 12z has changed a bit. Tomorrow looks bleak as already been blogged by Paul. Then a weak ridge and southerly's in the west with a depression situated off south west Ireland.. Then a split with the high to the SW bring a NW flow with temps a bit higher and a low over Scandinavia bringing light winds from the east and much cooler air.

post-12275-0-40969500-1395421861_thumb.g

post-12275-0-33834300-1395421869_thumb.g

post-12275-0-02443200-1395421879_thumb.g

post-12275-0-21997300-1395421890_thumb.g

post-12275-0-56237000-1395421898_thumb.g

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted

ECM continues to show pressure rising from mid week for northern bringing with it easterly winds, in the south low pressure is more of a feature so rain is possible, NW Scotland could fair best for sunshine amounts depending on how much cloud comes in off the north sea

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Friday sees the high starting to settle things down for more but again easterly winds could bring cloud into eastern parts especially those close to the coast

Posted ImagePosted Image

As the high starts to build out east winds start to veer to a south easterly as a result the 850's slowly rise so in any sunshine it would feel quite pleasant

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 5

Posted

A quick look at three models until the end of week. A pretty fair agreement on the whole with a fairly quiet week after this weekend. Can't say more without a closer look and a double espresso is beckoning. Or two even.

post-12275-0-39979700-1395468802_thumb.j

post-12275-0-25551400-1395468818_thumb.j

post-12275-0-04970800-1395468827_thumb.j

post-12275-0-98418800-1395468834_thumb.j

post-12275-0-39929800-1395468844_thumb.j

post-12275-0-37563100-1395468852_thumb.j

Posted

GFS is showing a weak ridge of High Pressure next week.

Posted Image

While ECMWF and UKMET keeps an Easterly flow a little longer, both show High Pressure of sorts towards the end of the runs.

Posted ImagePosted Image

GFS is still maintaining a classic cool/cold and disturbed start to April. With blocking plentiful, its just a shame it's a Month late, bloody typical...! 

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 6

Posted

ECM still showing an easterly flow for a time next week with some rain likely in the south at times we could also see cloud affecting some eastern parts as we often do when easterly winds arrive before we get a more organized area of high pressure over the country by day 9

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

By day 8 winds shift to a more south easterly direction allowing the 850's to start and rise

Posted ImagePosted Image

Day 9 and 10 sees the high over the UK turning things a little warmer again with cloud likely to become less of an issue

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

UKMO also showing high pressure building later next week

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

From a brief look at the models, shows a fairly cold spell of weather in the near future, colder synoptics than we saw in our dreadfully mild ,stormy winter. Ironic that is now spring and now winter wants to start!!!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

I wonder if what we are seeing in the model output at the moment is tied in with a 

late SSW?

Zonal winds are forecast to be reversed right through the stratosphere by days 7-8..

A very interesting GFS 06z run this morning with height rises over Scandinavia which

retrogress to our north-west by 240 hrs which then allows a stonking Northerly.

Seems to tick quite a few of the SSW boxes.

• Like 6

Posted

Next week will start with some mixed temperatures for the UK

Monday in England and wales should see highs around 9c to 11c

Posted Image

Tuesday sees some pretty big differences, the far south hits double figure, we than have an area from the SE across to Wales where temperatures struggle ranging from 4c to 6c, then further north we get to double figures again in some parts

Posted Image

Wednesday is a cooler day for most

Posted Image

Thursday sees temperatures starting to rise for England and Wales with temperatures widely 10c to 12c with 14c possible in one or two spots in the south

Posted Image

Friday again sees temperatures widely in double figures though the SE and East Anglia could see temperatures staying in single figures

Posted Image

Saturday is another cooler day with temperatures widely in single figures though west wales and SW England could manage to get into double figures

Posted Image

With high pressure looking likely to build later next week temperatures overnight could fall close to or below freezing increasing the frost risk

• Like 2

Posted

UKMO continuing to build pressure later next week, though with an easterly feed cloud could be a problem for some eastern parts

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy Winters, Hot and Sunny Summers - Never Mild!

I wonder if what we are seeing in the model output at the moment is tied in with a 

late SSW?

Zonal winds are forecast to be reversed right through the stratosphere by days 7-8..

Posted Imageecmwf10f168.gifPosted Imageecmwfzm_u_f192.gif

A very interesting GFS 06z run this morning with height rises over Scandinavia which

Posted Imagegfsnh-0-120.pngPosted Imagegfsnh-0-240.png

I really don't know how to feel about this. Just as we exit Winter and enter Spring, the weather wants to turn colder at the end of March/begin of April, with almost all models showing an easterly os some sorts and some northerlies. In a whole month too late for it to be really cold, like winter.

For IMBY's perspective, even if the models arn't taking us "down the garden path" again, I don;t think it will affect me much down in London. Move onto next Winter I say. I'm just too depressed for this!Posted Image

~mpkio2~

P.S. Move this post mods to the right forum if it sounds like I'm moaning. Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

I really don't know how to feel about this. Just as we exit Winter and enter Spring, the weather wants to turn colder at the end of March/begin of April, with almost all models showing an easterly os some sorts and some northerlies. In a whole month too late for it to be really cold, like winter.

For IMBY's perspective, even if the models arn't taking us "down the garden path" again, I don;t think it will affect me much down in London. Move onto next Winter I say. I'm just too depressed for this!Posted Image

~mpkio2~

P.S. Move this post mods to the right forum if it sounds like I'm moaning. Posted Image

It is quite usual to get cold snaps at this time of year.

• Like 1

Posted

Continued signs that easterly winds will arrive later next week, though it won't be anywhere near as cold as it would be in winter

Towards next weekend we have signals again that winds will start to veer to a south easterly direction so the 850's should slowly start to rise in the south initially before spreading further north by Sunday

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

LOL Deep FI ECM has the beast from the east sneaking in. Just look at those cold uppers at t240.

post-2404-0-90489200-1395515925_thumb.gi

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 1

Posted

LOL Deep FI ECM has the beast from the east sneaking in. Just look at those cold uppers at t240.

Plenty of Northern blocking on show as well which is something we didn't see in winter

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

late SSW?

Posted Imageecmwf10f168.gifPosted Imageecmwfzm_u_f192.gif

Posted Imagegfsnh-0-120.pngPosted Imagegfsnh-0-240.png

Yes winter is on LOL Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Its going to feel cold next week ,even raw, with extensive cloud and some patchy rain. The scandi high, pulls some cold air across the uk , not deep cold, but models do hint of pockets of cold air from time to time so perhaps some sleet and snow on higher ground. So the Easterly wind appears after being vacant for the winter, one thing for sure ,next week will feel colder than it has done all winter....Spring ,well its definitely in the cue.....But not at the front!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

post-6830-0-93079400-1395520340_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-86710300-1395520379_thumb.pn

Edited by ANYWEATHER
  • Like 3

Posted

Tonight's ECM ensemble shows the 850's starting to recover later next week and into the following week to around average once more

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 4

Posted

Models all agree on an easterly as we move through next week thanks to heights building to the NE, it looks a cloudy damp sort of easterly, had we a cold pool over scandi then a wintry edge could have been in order, but instead we are just likely to see cloud. Sheltered western parts could do well temperature and sunshine wise.

Looking further ahead - more signs April will start off on a preety chilly note, with many signals suggesting heights retrogressing towards Greenland as we see a deep trough develop over Scandinavia. GFS which I rate best when it comes to height rises to our NW, is certainly very bullish today with this scenario. ECM less keen wanting to bring in a southeasterly, but it too shows the trough digging in over N Scandi which would aid heights shifting NW. As others have stated these kind of set ups are more likely in Spring than at any other time of year, indeed northerlies and easterlies often give the atlantic a run for its money by the time we hit April.

I was looking at the forecasts from early April 2000 which deliver lowland snow to many parts after a very mild snowless winter for many.

• Like 5