Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales, The Midlands and Southwest England - Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Nice to hear, some areas have indeed escaped the worst no doubt possibly wandering what all the fuss is about.Blustery heavy shower, which originally was electrified over NW Wales, now just ok yawn....same ole.

Heading this way now, but as you say it's no longer electrified and doubt it will become again, at least not this side of Nottingham.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Well it was a decent afternoon here but easily the coolest day in a very long time. Hopefully normal service resumes with our plus 20c days for some time after this week. Should comfortably achieve that if at least normal synoptics arise in September.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

It's been a day of long sunny spells with blustery winds here.  No rain from 10.00 this morning until the cloud in the photo produced a hefty, but very short lived shower, just as the sun was setting.

post-8165-0-71354600-1407700377_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A gust of 55 mph here shortly before 1900 g.m.t, the highest in August since 2010.

Posted

Really blowing outside...fence panel split.... Leaves down everywhere... Getting louder as trees in leaf in guess...satelite cutting out...

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Top Gust 44mph here at 16:57.

Current Av speed 17mph N/W, Gusting 32mph, Temp 11.7c, Rain 18.3mm

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

Got four little videos on YouTube from earlier... sadly didn't get when I was right on the sea-wall (as the phone died), but from when I was in Weston-Super-Mare earlier with The Mother. Clip 3 and 4 were about 7pm (so I think it was near full "proper" high tide time). The wind was amazing too... could barely walk in it! Now I know our wind speeds weren't massively high, although enough to stop a human from walking, but I must say from what I experienced today, I really do feel sorry for anyone who is usually in the direct path of hurricanes* in the States (Florida, etc..)

(* - I know today's events are not a hurricane, far from, but am using a higher wind speed event as an example)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Got four little videos on YouTube from earlier... sadly didn't get when I was right on the sea-wall (as the phone died), but from when I was in Weston-Super-Mare earlier with The Mother. Clip 3 and 4 were about 7pm (so I think it was near full "proper" high tide time). The wind was amazing too... could barely walk in it! Now I know our wind speeds weren't massively high, although enough to stop a human from walking, but I must say from what I experienced today, I really do feel sorry for anyone who is usually in the direct path of hurricanes* in the States (Florida, etc..)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX0jl7QK4fwhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyMHGwN5j1Ehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-tQZ4GUg2Yhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhUbozR8RJk(* - I know today's events are not a hurricane, far from, but am using a higher wind speed event as an example)

Some good videos, dude! :) That was a rather angry-looking sea in those last two YouTube clips. The way the waves just 'exploded' against the sea wall in that last video (especially around 0:43) was intense!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

19°C and sunny.

I've dodged all the showers, not sure how long that will last?! And, it is windier today than yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

sushine and heavy showers seem to be the order of the day....looks like a bit of a bristol channel streamer effect today as here in the M4 corridor it's one shower after another....maybe a rumble or two as we move into the afternoon as per Nick F's convective forecast

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

Yesterday turned out to be a mostly decent day apart from the wind, top gust on my station 35mph, enough to blow a fair few leaves and some twigs off due to lack of strong winds this summer. Just a couple brief showers at noon and 7pm, and anvils to finish the day.

Felt warm after cloud cleared in the morning as the dew point reached 19c and temp 20.7c, but then the much fresher air came in with ~11c dew points.

As for today some good shower clouds around but only a couple brief ones here so far, intense one developed and passed just to my north, as most have so far this summer! Looked interesting with a bit of rotation in the updraught in fact.

19°C and sunny.I've dodged all the showers, not sure how long that will last?! And, it is windier today than yesterday.

Yeah those kind of temps before noon are already making a complete mockery of all those moaning gits on here saying how chilly/wet it will be, I think alot of places will miss any showers this week and it will be rather pleasant, summers aren't cold in the UK, September onwards is when we will see a proper atlantic cool, wet and windy spell.

Posted

Lot's of cells coming up the Bristol channel today. :) Feels like April or something with all these showers! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Caught one torrential shower earlier on this morning - lasted about 5 mins then blew onwards. Quite breezy up here today on the Malverns. Temp 18.2oC currently.

Posted

Line of thundery showers to my NW and N for the last 20 minutes.  Hearing a lot of thunder, but on the edge of the rain.  Makes it at least one thunder day every month so far this year and, with a total of 15 to date, the most thundery year since I started my records here in 1999.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Unbelievable, I am missing every single shower. Just 15 miles away have had thunder and torrential downpours.

post-15177-0-74154900-1407763408_thumb.p

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Yeah those kind of temps before noon are already making a complete mockery of all those moaning gits on here saying how chilly/wet it will be, I think alot of places will miss any showers this week and it will be rather pleasant, summers aren't cold in the UK, September onwards is when we will see a proper atlantic cool, wet and windy spell.

Very pleasant in the sunshine today yes Eugene, max 20c so far, missed the showers so far and the breeze is refreshing. Expecting it to feel cooler from tomorrow as it turns more to the NW though.

Posted

Line of thundery showers to my NW and N for the last 20 minutes.  Hearing a lot of thunder, but on the edge of the rain.  Makes it at least one thunder day every month so far this year and, with a total of 15 to date, the most thundery year since I started my records here in 1999.

Same here, thunder day in each month of the year to date, not had that happen before, here nor in the Midlands (where Winter thunder was a rarity cf here). Thunder heard on 11 days so far this year, previous highest in my record in this area being 11 in 2006 for the whole year, so that will go soon I should think. Certainly experienced more thunder days over a year at Coventry but not in every month, some years had nearer 20 days although I would have to check my records for there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

For this location which usually sees some of the higher temperatures in the region its feeling pretty cool in comparison today. Only in the sun does it feel OK. Anyway a few brief heavy showers on the way it seems.

Posted

Just got in from walking the dog at Hurcott woods near Kidderminster. Started to rain quite heavily as I loaded the dog back into the car at the end. Can see that there's now some sferics in the showers towards that way so made it round just in time! (Don't want to subject the poor pup to thunder and lightning if I can help it!)

Still beautifully sunny back home in Dudley. Don't think it's rained a drop here.

Edited by Gord

Posted

Just got in from walking the dog at Hurcott woods near Kidderminster. Started to rain quite heavily as I loaded the dog back into the car at the end. Can see that there's now some sferics in the showers towards that way so made it round just in time! (Don't want to subject the poor pup to thunder and lightning if I can help it!)

Still beautifully sunny back home in Dudley. Don't think it's rained a drop here.

Indeed, dry here so far though that Kidderminster/Stourport shower could come very close.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Think the Stourbridge shower has just passed through Solihull on its way to Bish in Knowle.

As it passed over us (with moderate rain and wind), it suddenly started electrifying with 2 claps of thunder....

Solihull shield stil intact but we dropped it for Bish!!

MIA

PS There bgoes another peel of thunder... oh and another....

Bish where are you?