Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales, The Midlands and Southwest England - Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I'm quite sceptical whether the MCS holds together or not. The Euro 4 and NMM progs it to thin out by the time it reaches the south coast. Itll probably end up as rain, like the last bit that hit an hour or so ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Disagree. Helps and is more interesting seeing what our neighbours are getting :)

Feel a song coming on  :D

One thing i've noticed, peeps who dislike the combined threads, only post when something interesting is kicking off, where are they when its quiet ?.... It's always the quiet ones... lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

It was amazing driving home from wsm tonight - the lightning to the south was incredible at times. Shame it's petered out now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

well, unless something dramatically changes, some moderate rainfall looks about it.....rather disappointing if I'm honest as all the parameters were there for decent elevated thunderstorms throughout the overnight period......still, never say die I guess

• Like 1

Posted

Enjoyable evening watching some pretty potent thunderstorms roll in off the channel earlier. A fresher feel to the air compared to early evening when it was palpably charged. Flashing skies over to my SE right now. Wouldn't be surprised to see more activity later on.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

2310: Very bright FL, gave up counting after one minute, expected it was quite near, and yet it was perhaps 15 miles away to NE judging by the low rumble that eventually followed.  Another bright SL 5 minutes later same direction counted at 50 seconds about 10 miles away. We had a heavy shower prior to the TL.

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Why the sudden weakening?! Hopefully the MCS will hold its own and deliver the goods. If not, I suppose we must rely on homegrown stuff.

Posted

Lightning with stars here too.

Posted

Did you spot the shooting star? Then almost instant flash...surreal. Just ten mins ago.

I did see one actually, bit longer ago than that. It was just below the Plough then there was a flash about 10sec later

Posted

It has gotten really windy here now. I missed out on the storms, I'm quite surprised if I'm honest. I don't expect anything for the rest of the week either. It's tough being a storm lover sometimes! :)

Posted

Same one, pointing northwesterly direction? Still distant lightning being observed, cells seem to be towards Welshpool. Wales hit again.

Yes sounds like the same one. Some flashes seemed to move more to the S here.

Posted

All that hype and build up (including me) yesterday evening and the result was 2 squally downpours that delivered 2.5mm of rain! The most notable aspect being very squally winds at around 11.30 and again around 01.30 - 02.00!

We live and learn and hope for another chance!

• Like 2

Posted

To me, the new regionals are working better than the old ones, just my two penneth. Come winter it might be a differnet story.

Hmm I suppose it depends where you live and what people are looking for ('working better'). Hopefully it is good for Wales/ Shropshire etc

I agree that yesterday was good ( with increased activity due to prediction of T storms), however my personal feeling is that the SW input has gone quiet since the change with a number of regular posters now absent or rarely popping in. I remain to be convinced that weather on the S coast and SW peninsular really does have a great deal in common with the Midlands and N Wales. Good to see Lancia pop in yesterday however.

Coincidentally I postmarked Paul just yesterday evening with an observation that SW members are now rather quiet.

Edited by egret

Posted

All that hype and build up (including me) yesterday evening and the result was 2 squally downpours that delivered 2.5mm of rain! The most notable aspect being very squally winds at around 11.30 and again around 01.30 - 02.00! We live and learn and hope for another chance!

Completely agree! I had slightly more rain, 4.8mm but no t&lApart from Wales' awry forecasts, the MO were spot on in the end.

Posted

Watching the radar with interest - a band of  heavy stuff creeping up the Channel but will it weaken as it comes ashore? Hopefully not!

Edited by egret

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Completely agree! I had slightly more rain, 4.8mm but no t&lApart from Wales' awry forecasts, the MO were spot on in the end.

Well, for many people the Met Office was totally incorrect. For example, there was lots of thunder and lightning and torrential rain here, yesterday evening which wasn't really forecast.

Watching the radar with interest - a band of  heavy stuff creeping up the Channel but will it weaken as it comes ashore? Hopefully not!

That's going towards W Devon and Cornwall, not our way.

• Like 1

Posted

Well, for many people the Met Office was totally incorrect. For example, there was lots of thunder and lightning and torrential rain here, yesterday evening which wasn't really forecast.That's going towards W Devon and Cornwall, not our way.

Ian F's forecast was for thunder & lightning, the BBC forecasts showed plenty for the south west and the MO future radar showed plenty in that vicinity too.As I already mentioned, Wales got more than they were initially forecasted to get, but elsewhere was pretty much spot on, they showed storms and rain fizzling out, and that's what happened. Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Well that was worth the wait, a 10 min downpour at round 6:30am.. Oh well! let's see what today may bring us. Theres alot of moisture in the atmosphere atm and certainly very unstable with Cape values in the -4s -5s, any surface base heating (the sun showing it's face) may create some home grown storms, but time will tell !!! there still plenty coming out of France to talk of,http://www.meteo-mc.fr/~meteomc/Images/sat/sat_new_ireu.gif so one to keep an eye on, also as a few have mentioned there was plenty yesterday that wasn't in the forecast and we all know what happen there (Wales) :) So radar watch is a must!

Currently 14.7c and mostly cloudy, but starting to show some promising signs of sunshine here 8)

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Mot expecting much today other than showers.

Still all the ingredients were yesterday, so it's just a case of hoping next time everyone who missed out gets lucky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Question is whether this thick cloud cover will break sufficiently to allow surface heating to get going.

This morning is so reminiscent of mornings in the 80s and 90s after there had been thunderstorms the previous evening. Dull and gloomy. Memory tells me that this cloud might prove to be annoyingly stubborn to shift.