Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 31/03/14 onwards.

Posted

Indeed both GFS and UKMO show pressure fairly high over the UK on Sunday UKMO would give northern Scotland some unsettled weather where as GFS would keep us all settled

UKMO

Posted Image

GFS

Posted Image

Then we have ECM which is more unsettled for a wider area

Posted Image

I'll go with the gfs on this one cos we all know how ecm likes to over amplify things!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I'll go with the gfs on this one cos we all know how ecm likes to over amplify things!!

This is how the met see things for Sunday in today update

Clearer, cooler conditions with some showers will follow from the north as any remaining rain clears all areas during Sunday. Showers are likely to be heaviest, and also wintry over higher ground, in the north.

So they don't appear to follow GFS for now

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

GFS 850s look like they'll go well above average once more for a time next week with the London ensemble showing things could become quite warm for 3 or 4 days from the 17th to 23rd the 850's then hovers around the average mark. Low amounts of rain are shown as well on the London ensemble.

Posted Image

The Manchester ensemble also shows a dry spell coming up with very little rain for a good 9 days 850's will be above normal here as well from the 12th to 16th from the 17th to 23rd it then hovers around the average mark

Posted Image

The Aberdeen ensemble also showing the 850's going above average from the 12th to 16th from the 17th to 23rd it then hovers around the average mark

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

You will have to excuse my ignorance but I didn't know this. Could you be more specific regarding what this means and if it's so obvious why they haven't addressed the problem?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

You will have to excuse my ignorance but I didn't know this. Could you be more specific regarding what this means and if it's so obvious why they haven't addressed the problem?

To my knowledge it's usually the GFS that has the habit of over amplification, with a West bias.

Posted

GFS 12z continues to show pressure rebuilding during Friday and Saturday very little change so far from GFS

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

UKMO shows a nice spell coming up with high pressure starting to become dominant though northern Scotland looks to be the only exception at times with low pressure never too far away on Thursday and Saturday

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Could be a decent weekend coming up the way things are shaping up currently with temperatures easily making it into the high teens for many in the south and mid teens elsewhere

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Hmm big changes today really, the GFS really wanting to build the high in much more strongly this coming weekend and even begins to transfer it towards Scandinavia setting up a warm to very warm south/southeasterly

Posted Image

Posted Image

The UKMO looks similar in wanting to start to push the high over the UK and with a developing trough in the Atlantic, then the high would also try and push eastwards into Central/northern Europe.

Classic GFS low resolution, did it suddenly decide it's November again Posted Image

Also might add that day 8 chart on the GFS shows the +12 isotherm getting into South-west England.... toasty

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 4

Posted

Quite an unsettled spell developing on GFS from day 9 leading to an unsettled Easter weekend with temperatures just making it into double figures for the south

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

GEM looks pretty decent too. Could be another pleasant spell of weather developing by the weekend into next week.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted

GFS once again continues with it's cooler unsettled and wetter trend from the 16th onwards..

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

GFS 12z continues to show pressure rebuilding during Friday and Saturday very little change so far from GFS

UKMO shows a nice spell coming up with high pressure starting to become dominant though northern Scotland looks to be the only exception at times with low pressure never too far away on Thursday and Saturday

Could be a decent weekend coming up the way things are shaping up currently with temperatures easily making it into the high teens for many in the south and mid teens elsewhere

Posted Image

You could be correct.

post-12275-0-74429100-1396889478_thumb.p

• Like 2

Posted

Precisely my point all the models slowly pointing towards high pressure dominating the weather end of this week onwards which is what the ukmo and gfs were showing on the 00zs!!about the ecm I was on about the winter just gone!!everytime it showed a northerly or easterly most of the time the gfs was not having it and was a lot flatter and less amplified across america and the atlantic compared to ecm!!eventually ecm backed down and followed the gfs!!to be fair ecm had a horror show winter just gone!!

• Like 2

Posted

Do you always post the coolest, wettest charts you can find?

Hi Pee, Over the past couple of days the charts have been showing a cooler more unsettled trend from mid-month onwards. And this is what the models are showing and my interest lies in reading the charts to gain an understanding in what lies ahead, this is what this thread is all about. There are many on here showing the elusive High Pressure charts on every run.. but i like to add a little balance, whatever lies ahead, the weather will do what it wants, whether it's what we want is another question.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Do you always post the coolest, wettest charts you can find?

He is just posting what the charts are saying, nothing more nothing less! With all respect the comment you have just left has no benefit at all to the model output discussionPosted Image

• Like 4

Posted

GEM showing a decent spell of weather developing from Friday to Tuesday

By Wednesday the high starts to decline and by the end low pressure moves in

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Hi Pee, Over the past couple of days the charts have been showing a cooler more unsettled trend from mid-month onwards. And this is what the models are showing and my interest lies in reading the charts to gain an understanding in what lies ahead, this is what this thread is all about. There are many on here showing the elusive High Pressure charts on every run.. but i like to add a little balance, whatever lies ahead, the weather will do what it wants, whether it's what we want is another question.

Trouble is over the last month, high pressure hasn't exactly been elusive ;)

Only a few days ago the temperatures were approaching 20C down here, those same days where the models were predicting very cold northerlies and easterlies at 8-10 days out. Hence like for most of the winter my confidence in anything cold approaching our shores is very low.

GFS ens are about as erratic as the operationals but I would love to take the day 8 mean here

Posted Image

If the high builds across us and into Europe, temperatures could become very warm next week. Of course the high could retrogress westwards and allow cooler and more unsettled weather to gain a foothold.

Also that double ridge shape over our part of the world, doesn't exactly give me much confidence in the models. They were awful at handling these last year.

• Like 4

Posted

In the short term a fairly dry spell is set to develop from tomorrow to the 15th with very little rain for England and Wales, longer term (15th to 23rd) it looks rather wet UK wide

Posted Image

As for the next 8 days 2m temperatures will remain above average

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Trouble is over the last month, high pressure hasn't exactly been elusive Posted Image

Only a few days ago the temperatures were approaching 20C down here, those same days where the models were predicting very cold northerlies and easterlies at 8-10 days out. Hence like for most of the winter my confidence in anything cold approaching our shores is very low.

GFS ens are about as erratic as the operationals but I would love to take the day 8 mean here

Posted Image

If the high builds across us and into Europe, temperatures could become very warm next week. Of course the high could retrogress westwards and allow cooler and more unsettled weather to gain a foothold.

Also that double ridge shape over our part of the world, doesn't exactly give me much confidence in the models. They were awful at handling these last year.

I have only stated cooler/colder not "cold", And yes the trend is for cooler unsettled weather beyond D10 as this is the time-frame im looking at the moment, as per my previous post's. Im fully aware of the many small details which have to be taken into consideration at this range, for which others im sure are quite aware of..

This be High of Low pressure, April is a very difficult month to forecast with such conflicting and ever changing background signals at this time of the year.  

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted

GFS ensemble showing a lot of high pressure tonight with a 1 day northerly blip at t216

The unsettled weather the Op run has isn't supported by the ensemble all in all it doesn't look too bad longer term tonight with high pressure never far away we could even see a decent BH weekend

• Like 1

Posted

ECM finally coming on board now

The only exception to a settled weekend is parts of Scotland on Saturday other wise lots of settled weather on offer with temps in the mid to high teens

:)

• Like 3

Posted

Whilst there is rain still grazing the north of the coutry, even the ECM is slowly starting to back a dry and fine weekend for many

Posted Image

Posted Image

And wanting to extend it into next week.

Posted Image

• Like 7

Posted

Whilst there is rain still grazing the north of the coutry, even the ECM is slowly starting to back a dry and fine weekend for many

Posted Image

Posted Image

And wanting to extend it into next week.

Posted Image

This is a nice surprise as this weekend was being written off as wet and windy.

Are all the models now in agreement for the weekend?

Edited by 049balt
  • Like 4

Posted

ECM looks fairly warm up-to and including the 15th hopefully sunny as well

16th sees the breakdown starting though its stays warm for England and Wales possibly humid for some could see some thundery rain in places

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2