Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Cheers lads. Pomeroy,I am actually an Omagh blow in, So wouldn't have crossed swords with you on the football field in the Lough! Out of interest, what asl height would Loughmacrory be situated? From your 600ft level I would guess 100-150 metres?

You can use this tool to find the elevation of any place you like. Love those satellites...

http://www.daftlogic.com/sandbox-google-maps-find-altitude.htm

If you select different points of Loughmacrory, the altitude ranges from 160 - 170 metres above sea level.

Pomeroy ranges from 170 - 200 metres above sea level.

Newtownhamilton in South Armagh hits around 205 metres at its highest. The primary school there is at 205 metres above sea level.

Belleeks, a village near Newtonhamilton looks like it maxes out at over 210 metres above sea level.

I guess it all depends on where the actual village ends because once you 'head out the road' from Newtownhamilton and Belleeks, the altitude continues to climb above 210 - 220 metres.

Pomeroy is NOT the highest village in N. Ireland.

Edited by Dazarooni

Posted

You can use this tool to find the elevation of any place you like. Love those satellites...

http://www.daftlogic.com/sandbox-google-maps-find-altitude.htm

If you select different points of Loughmacrory, the altitude ranges from 160 - 170 metres above sea level.

Pomeroy ranges from 170 - 200 metres above sea level.

Newtonhamilton in South Armagh hits around 205 metres at its highest. The primary school there is at 205 metres above sea level.

Belleeks, a village near Newtonhamilton looks like it maxes out at over 210 metres above sea level.

I guess it all depends on where the actual village ends because once you 'head out the road' from Newtonhamilton and Belleeks, the altitude continues to climb above 210 - 220 metres.

Pomeroy is NOT the highest village in N. Ireland.

Someone better tell the record boiks then. Perhaps the others are regarded as hamlets???

Posted

Why is everyone looking forward to later ? Because there hasn't been much snow about yet!

Well, I look at the radar and see precious little, yet the met office shows this...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcey4hbv7#?tab=fiveDay&fcTime=1420848000

Yes, I know, these automated forecasts are generally crap.

Posted

My point exactly MS. I see nothing that's shows snow at min though as u say automated shows heavy snow. If there is no snow that warning by met office is just ridiculous. But who knows it may happen. But I can't see it at all.

Posted

According to matt hugo there is a trough approaching from the northwest for this eve. So maybe it will show up on radar soon MS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

had an almighty hail shower just now, grass ans soil white. some good wintry showers around today and feeling bitter in that wind.

Posted

Shower activity picking up here now. By the way welcome Daza, sorry but if you put highest village in NI u get Pomeroy, just saying bud. Not like we have a celebration every year because of this!! Put your location in your profile bud, always good to know where we are reporting weather conditions from in this regional thread :)

Very fragmented showery activity though, nothing exciting or lying. Gritters have been out so must have be expecting icy roads

• Like 2

With regards to Cookstown District Council stating that "Pomeroy is the second highest village in Ireland", this is absolute NONSENSE!!! It's cringeworthy, Pomeroy doesn't even make the top 10!

Roundwood (Co Wicklow), Coalbrook (Co Tipperary) The Commons (Co Tipperary) Bilboa (Co Carlow) Wolfhill (Co Laois) are around 250 metres above sea level and with some close to 280 metres above sea level.

Just stating FACTS here.

http://www.daftlogic...nd-altitude.htm - The proof is in the pudding.

I don't know how the rumour started about Pomeroy being the highest village in N. Ireland. It's the third highest. As for Cookstown District Council.........................LOL

Anyhow, I'll let you all get back to the weather.

Edited by Dazarooni
  • Like 1

Posted

With regards to Cookstown District Council stating that "Pomeroy is the second highest village in Ireland", this is absolute NONSENSE!!! It's cringeworthy, Pomeroy doesn't even make the top 10!

Roundwood (Co Wicklow), Coalbrook (Co Tipperary) The Commons (Co Tipperary) Bilboa (Co Carlow) Wolfhill (Co Laois) are around 250 metres above sea level and with some close to 280 metres above sea level.

Just stating FACTS here.

Anyhow, I'll let you all get back to the weather.

Good man don't let it get to you, so you going to report on the weather then ;)
  • Like 2

Posted

According to matt hugo there is a trough approaching from the northwest for this eve. So maybe it will show up on radar soon MS

Any idea what times its due at? Not showing on radar yet and well to be fair today has been a great disappointment so far.

Posted

Around 8 MS but I can't see it happening at all. And yes today has been a massive let down. Hence why I wasn't getting my hopes up. The met warning was just ridiculous in my eyes. U need clouds for it to snow! We had no clouds today!!

• Like 1

Posted

Snow showers off and on all day. Nothing sticking at all but nice to see.Neiller you have been seriously negative on here recently. Maybe write a letter to the Met Office expressing your concerns on how wrong they got their warning for possible snow.

Edited by ronan
  • Like 2

Posted

I don't take weather seriously enough to write a letter!! That's just ridiculous. I'm not negative just a realist. If u think today warranted a weather warning It beggars belief!! And as I stated it should have been more for NW than whole of Northern Ireland. Also I was lead to believe this was a forum off certain views and different opinions ronan do if u don't like my opinions I advise u to ignore them! Anyhow I think I will leave this forum now as I for one am not one with a negative view in life. Quite the opposite recently due to health issues. So by all snd Njoy your forum.

• Like 1

Posted

Around 8 MS but I can't see it happening at all. And yes today has been a massive let down. Hence why I wasn't getting my hopes up. The met warning was just ridiculous in my eyes. U need clouds for it to snow! We had no clouds today!!

Well, to early to call their warning wrong yet then. Who knows, it may snow heavily sometime between 8 and 6.

Posted

I don't take weather seriously enough to write a letter!! That's just ridiculous. I'm not negative just a realist. If u think today warranted a weather warning It beggars belief!! And as I stated it should have been more for NW than whole of Northern Ireland. Also I was lead to believe this was a forum off certain views and different opinions ronan do if u don't like my opinions I advise u to ignore them! Anyhow I think I will leave this forum now as I for one am not one with a negative view in life. Quite the opposite recently due to health issues. So by all snd Njoy your forum.

Don't do that Neiller I would say Ronan meant it in jest. We truly are a family here at times we fall out but we love each other really, come on Buddy stick with us :)
  • Like 2

Posted

Lol Neiller you do as you wish mate. As you say it's a forum and everyone can express their views. I'm just expressing my view.on your views the past couple of weeks. Don't think it warrants you taking the hump and leaving the forum. That's just being childish to be honest.

I do love you really. Xxxx

Edited by ronan
  • Like 7

Posted

Those disheartened read Matthew Hugo's tweet

Next 6 to 12 hours peak time for increased snow shower activity in the N and W as a marked trough moves in... 29m ago

To my eye this will significantly increase 'activity' thus allowing many of you to see some white stuff :wink:

• Like 3