Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted

So would we be safe to say that things are firming up for a colder spell of weather on the way? I mean like what can go wrong? :rofl:

Hopefully we see plenty of upgrades in the coming days.

• Like 2

Posted

So would we be safe to say that things are firming up for a colder spell of weather on the way? I mean like what can go wrong? :rofl:

Hopefully we see plenty of upgrades in the coming days.

Well, it may be colder and temps of 13 degrees will be rarer, but there is no sign of snowy/frosty colder spell greater than a day or two.

Edited by mountain shadow

your not very positive this weather MS are you? Having more of a moan than I do normally! Lol. Personally I'm with storm force as I think we have a chance of something more wintry during the weeks ahead. I don't care for for sustained cold. Just to see snow fall from the sky will be great.

• Like 2

Posted

Just calling it as I see it Neiller. Yes, there will be snow around over the next couple of weeks, but maybe not around long enough to enjoy it. At least the weather will be interesting with storms etcc.

• Like 1

Posted

I'd be glad to see a snow shower.!

Yes I'd love a month of ice and snow, but realistically how often is that going to happen here!

So I'm happy with the way things look, as long as it's not down graded as so often happens.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

The important issue i feel is just getting the right conditions over the country to get snow falling from the sky. I mean it seems to me that we have to have all the right ingredients for snow to fall on this wee island, or in other words down right damn luck.I will be happy to see falling snow on saturday and next week even if i have to stay up all night, if it settles and accumulates then that is a bonus, time to have fun in it. Apart from 2009/2010 snowfalls, it does seem more difficult to get snow in this country as compared to the seventies and eighties, these are the years when i remember at least three to four very cold spells every winter lasting at least four days and getting enough snow to have lots of fun in, luck was less a factor then. So lets get this polar maritime blast over our shores and then worry about settling/accumulating snow. I really wouldn't like to see this winter worse than last winter, that would be a disaster, but I feel it won't. the fun and games begin tonight with stormy conditions setting in. It does at the moment look like a potent cold blast next week. I think january 1984 would have been similar.

• Like 3

Posted

Funny I was thinking the same Storm January 84 sticks in my memory I would have been 8 years old and I can remember really large drifts. apart from 2009 and 10 few other winters stick out in my memory. That said we would always be guaranteed a week or two of school due to snow in January in the 80s early 90s much to my mother's dismay lol. This upcoming period has the potential at least unlike last year

• Like 1

Posted

Next week looking more and more promising after Tuesday with really cold air spilling across the atlantic, as ever the devil is in the detail, but hillier parts in the West could see some decent falls in showers, then there is the possibility of shortwave lows enhancing the precipitation and giving a more general snowfall to lower levels.

After tonights runs, I'm feeling a wee bit more optimistic.

• Like 3

Posted

Next week looking more and more promising after Tuesday with really cold air spilling across the atlantic, as ever the devil is in the detail, but hillier parts in the West could see some decent falls in showers, then there is the possibility of shortwave lows enhancing the precipitation and giving a more general snowfall to lower levels.

After tonights runs, I'm feeling a wee bit more optimistic.

Good to see you getting optimistic MS I know you tell it as it is

Posted

Funny I was thinking the same Storm January 84 sticks in my memory I would have been 8 years old and I can remember really large drifts. apart from 2009 and 10 few other winters stick out in my memory. That said we would always be guaranteed a week or two of school due to snow in January in the 80s early 90s much to my mother's dismay lol. This upcoming period has the potential at least unlike last year

yes i remember january 84 very well, absolutely plastered in snow, got a couple of days of school. it was great, I was 12 years old, my first year in secondary school.

heavy driving rain here and wind is picking up. has been a pretty rough week.

Posted

Wind starting to pick up in lisburn to pomeroy, it will be interesting to see how intense it gets alright!!

There was a shower of rain but the wind is starting to dry the place out!!

Next week looks interesting for snow events once these storms have passed through!!

• Like 1

Posted

The rain passed through pretty quickly tonight. Pretty gusty out there but nothing to what Scotland with endure! Interesting to note the amount of snow showing on the graphics in the Atlantic on this forecast. Notice they don't go past Tuesday in to much detail but i would say if things keep going the way they are then we could at least get a very wintry couple of days come midweek.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/30734495

• Like 2

Posted

Very windy out tonight and some lightning further north!

• Like 2

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Well folks. The last very mild day for a while, so hopefully we'll all get to see a bit of the white stuff soon!

Something to keep an eye on is the storm due next Wednesday night/Thursday morning. It has appeared on the few GFS runs and is also there on the ECM and the NetWx-MR model.

Below are the gust speeds for the storm on the 00z GFS, with the SLP and 850 temps beside it.

paFY9wb.gif  Wz7lsPY.gif

Now, this forecast will chop and change over the next few days, but it's certainly worth keeping track of.

• Like 3

Posted

Mind need a weather warning NOW for next Thursday!!

Central pressure sub 940mb, Pomeroy's house will get blown into the Irish Sea from his mountain.

http://max.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20150109/06/138/h500slp.png

Looking forward to next week, with everything but the kitchen sink thrown at us. Could be a news worthy week ahead.

Edited by mountain shadow
  • Like 3

Posted

another appalling day here with strong to gale force winds and incessant rain, has been a rough week and no sign of it letting up. next tuesday/wednesday looking very interesting.

• Like 1

Posted

another appalling day here with strong to gale force winds and incessant rain, has been a rough week and no sign of it letting up. next tuesday/wednesday looking very interesting.

Might want to change your name to Hurricaneforce 12 next week is that storm comes off!

• Like 2