Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

The OPI is certainly looking good, though this will be just the second year it will be used to make a prediction, and last year didn't go great for it. We will probably have a weak El Nino, combined with a -ve QBO and probably a favourable Snow Advance Index too, so several positives there. However, some factors going against a cold winter are the below average temperatures in the N. Atlantic sub-polar gyre and the average sea ice cover over the Kara sea, though how these average during November appears to be what matters most.

Overall, it seems there are more factors favouring a cold winter than a mild one (certainly more so than last year) so there reason to be optimistic. 

• Like 1

Posted

Certainly a few factors pointing towards a cold winter but in my opinion its still to far out to call anything. Last year was a severe anti climax, i think we had one day with a bit of sleet/snow and that was it! Something feels different about this year but we shall see. At the minute going by reading other threads we could start seeing some colder weather come the end of November and hopefully its on par with what we seen at the end of November 2010.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

And so the winter model roller-coaster ride begins!

57RD8Zz.png

• Like 1

Posted

Nice chart! No strength to the Vortex at all which is a good sign although would it normally have much strength at this time of the year? All this OPI stuff is getting pretty interesting and i'm looking forward to seeing what the final value will be. Good read here and definitely gives me plenty of confidence for the upcoming winter!

http://www.abc2news.com/weather/weather-blogs/october-pattern-index-says-very-cold-winter-ahead

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Got up to 18.3c here today despite mostly cloudy skies and the fact that it is late October. Another bloody rubbish of an Autumn we are having :nonono::wallbash: :wallbash: . I just really hope we get a good winter.

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

27th October .. and 18'c .. I wasn't complaining . Dark at 5.30 though :diablo:

Posted

Some rural spots could see their first frost of the Autumn as high pressure takes hold. In contrast it will be feeling quite summery by the end of the week as areas of the south could hit the dizzy heights of 21 degrees. Hopefully all this mild weather that we are enduring eventually pays us off with a cracking cold winter. Lol

Posted

15.9C early this morning was the highest temp today,dropping during the morning and into the afternoon. A cool clear night temp 4.3c.

Milder air will be back later tomorrow until later on Halloween. The max temp ive ever recorded on Halloween was 17.2c in 2011,wouldnt be surprised if i beat that on friday.

Posted

I would say you'll get pretty close to breaking that record. The weather has be weird lately. -2 in August then the whole of Septwmber was dry and warm then storms, flooding etc. The thing that's standing out to me most is that it's so warm and pleasant in the sun.

Posted

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-set-for-its-coldest-winter-in-years-30703372.html

Coldest winter in years!!!

About time I checked in to the regional discussions.

How is everyone doing this year then?

Edited by Baltic Regions

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

I was about to post that it's madden and his male cow poo again

Posted

Happy Halloween to all.

Mildest one ive ever recorded,got up to 18.3c here during the early afternoon. Some rain this evening,current temp 12.9c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

I called into work today in limavady I was tempted to drive to the mountain Road but couldn't see any snow lying so didn't see the point. I was supposed to be in uni in coleraine today but I decided to sleep in lol

Posted

Not sure where it was. Seen it on the Northern Ireland Facebook page. Definitely good to see this early. I have a feeling about this winter. Could potentially be very cold. Anything is better than last winter!!