Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted

Am just back from doing the photos in a few of the clubs in Derry and it was definitely cold walking in to the town earlier! Pom an oul Derry woman would have fairly warmed you up tonight. Lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

was also out in the town last night and it certainly was cool. charts still lokking good for a cold spell later in the month hopefully.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

strangely, I found ice on an electric cable lying on grass at 4 .30 pm yesterday . Nearby a just arrived car was reading 8'C . there was no ice on the grass .. any idea how ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

strangely, I found ice on an electric cable lying on grass at 4 .30 pm yesterday . Nearby a just arrived car was reading 8'C . there was no ice on the grass .. any idea how ?

sorry absolutely no idea on that one. :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Plenty of rain and a howling wind today, no mistaking the season!

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

As much as i lke this time of yr,it must be said that Nov can often be a bit of a miserable month,mild,cloudy,dull and rather wet quite often sums up the month overall.

i just hope the buliding blocks for a potential cold spell further down the line continue to build slowly but surely as the month goes on so by sometime next month we will get some very decent cold weather or if we are lucky maybe something at the end of this month.

Edited by sundog
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

second that, absolutely miserable day here, you cant say its even mild, 8 degrees at max so heating still on, no sun to warm the house and wind creating draft, can say only 2 months this year have been ok, july and september, only rest we get is between two weather fronts which last a day and a half max, part of to blame now is the sceuro high which stalls the low preasures at our shores if we get winter like last ill consider emigrating

Edited by jules216
  • Like 2

Posted

I enjoyed the weather today, I even think November has been ok so far. I like the gradual cooling down, the anticipation of the first wintry charts, the spells of heavy rain followed by the crisp, cold, fresh air. Anyone else... no?

M2bZq.gif

• Like 3

Posted

I enjoyed the weather today, I even think November has been ok so far. I like the gradual cooling down, the anticipation of the first wintry charts, the spells of heavy rain followed by the crisp, cold, fresh air. Anyone else... no?

M2bZq.gif

I'm with you on that brother!!!
  • Like 1

Posted

A dank grey foggy dreary day, enjoy it if you like this kinda weather, personally pass me the prosaic

Tis a bit boring, if it's going to rain it should at least be heavy.

Posted

Pouring down again.

The general conscenus appears to be we will get a very wet 6 weeks or so with the cold and snow arriving around the end of December.

Fingers crossed.

Posted

Just using years with a similar MEI and QBO, I posted this chart last month as a simple test to see if those 2 factors could predict November with any accuracy.

ZNL3oZN.png

Doesn't seem too inaccurate so far, compared to the first 7 days of the month

QF4OIvJ.gif

Still plenty of time for it to go ar*e ways though!

• Like 3

Posted

Lol what's your thoughts now Born what do you make of this OPI thingy???

By the way we have your heavy rain showers you were longing for, feel free to take them down your way :)

The OPI didn't work out so well last winter, which was it's first actual forecast. I'd put more faith in the SAI index for now, as at least it has passed peer review. The OPI seems to have been stuck in the peer review process for about a year now, which ain't a good sign. That's not to say the OPI should be dismissed entirely, just that it almost certainly will not have as high a correlation with the AO when used as a predictor, compared to their hindcast correlations.

Even using the same dates I used for the November map earlier, a potentially very cold winter pattern emerges, quite similar to the OPI forecast actually!

......MEI and QBO winter...... ........... ...... ........... OPI winter forecast

aEC7UdF.png TzJ0CKk.png

I'll call the showers down here after I've walked the dog this evening!

• Like 2

Posted

I think the OPI only really works at the extremes of it scale.

This years OPI was extreme so a high probability of at least two winter months with a -nao

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

^^^^^^^

Yes the correlation does not seem to be as strong with weakly positive or negative figures.

I know people say that the index didnt really work out for last winter but at +1.65 we did get a mild winter in the end anyway. Is it that the AO itself was not really positive last winter? So as regards last winter being mild was the strongly positive index just a bit of a fluke?